My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default locking diff

how do i lock a diff for my clod without spending
Old 08-09-2003, 01:33 PM
Savage_Dias

Default locking diff

ummm... Conveniently have some JB Weld or Silly Putty lieing around the house.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:56 AM
waverave
My Feedback: (3)

Default locking diff

What he said.
Open up your diff case, take the gears out and clean it well so there's no more grease or oil inside the diff, then put the gears back inside and pack it full of silly putty or jb weld. Silly putty is nice because you can take it back out but the jb weld will pretty much be impossible to clean up if you decide to go back to slip.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:53 AM
SixVi6-Camaro

Default locking diff

I'd not use silly putty in a clod diff. On a TXT or Jugg you can sue the silly putty method because the diff's spider gears are enclosed in their own sealed cup but... the diffs on a clod are open to the whole rest of the tranny and the silly putty will end up oozing out and getting into every gear in the tranny. Its JB weld or nothing on a clod.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:04 PM
Orcinus

Default locking diff

I've locked differentials on both my Wild Dagger and my TXT-1. For my wild dagger I used rubber bands. For my TXT-1 I used pieces of cotton from an old shirt. However, both differentials are completely closed, unlike the Clod's diffs. JK, the owner of Mudcow, has a very good step-by-step article with photos of how to reliably lock a Clodbuster differential. Here's the URL. http://www.mudcow.com/Page%205.htm
Old 08-14-2003, 08:33 AM
Foffen

Default locking diff

What is Silly Putty? Do you have a manufacurer name or something? We don't have Silly Putty in sweden, but i'm sure we have something simillar if i knew moe about the product...

cheers
Old 08-14-2003, 06:45 PM
Orcinus

Default locking diff

It's a rather strange substance, hard to describe... sort of like a cross between bubble gum and clay. Check it out at http://www.sillyputty.com
Old 08-15-2003, 07:32 AM
Foffen

Default locking diff

Dam, they don't exists in Sweden, but i had one of those!!! Got it from a friend as a silly (no punt intended hehe) present, but i threw it away after a while since i couldn't find any use for it... doh!

isnät that stuff to soft to use as a diff lock?
Old 08-15-2003, 07:35 AM
Orcinus

Default locking diff

Well if you're going to use it in a Clodbuster, it won't work very well. The differential is not sealed and the gears will eventually squish the putty out. If you're using it in a sealed differential, it may not be as tight as epoxy, but it will still certainly help. It will act more like a limited-slip differential, aka posi-trak (I believe Pontiac owns that trademark name.)