Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nitro fuel expiration?

I hope this is the right section to post this in since it's not brand/vehicle specific...

I have 3/4 of a gallon of O'Donnell 20% sitting in my storage building from about two years ago. I used it for the last time, then put the red seal back on the jug and screwed the lid down. Is there any expiration dates on nitro once it's opened?

It has been in a dark place, but the temperature would go up and down in the winter and summer, so that may have hurt it I fear. I already have a fresh gallon of fuel, I just figured it'd be a shame to throw out $20.00 of nitro if it was still good. But if there is any chance it'll hurt my engine I don't want to risk it.

I appreciate the help.
    BB Revo w/ Mach 427 SOLD!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Nitro fuel expiration?

I've had fuel stored in my outside storage area for 4 years, During the month of December I used it on my rc truck and it ran just fine. As long as the lid is shut tight I believe it is ok, just my opinion.
    Owner - GEYE Hobbies

Driving my vehicles through all obstacles, enjoying trucks, cars, and airplanes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: army2000ng

*I've had fuel stored in my outside storage area for 4 years, During the month of December I used it on my rc truck and it ran just fine. As long as the lid is shut tight I believe it is ok, just my opinion.
    QFT

I've ran all kinds of old a.. fuel and never had a problem.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SLAYERDUDE

ORIGINAL: army2000ng

*I've had fuel stored in my outside storage area for 4 years, During the month of December I used it on my rc truck and it ran just fine. As long as the lid is shut tight I believe it is ok, just my opinion.
    QFT

I've ran all kinds of old a.. fuel and never had a problem.
    If the container is mostly full and tightly capped, I'm sure its fine. If the container is less than 1/2 full then there might be a good chance of moisture having contaminated the methanol from the air inside the bottle.

The only 2 real problems that will cause model engine fuel to "spoil" is moisture and sunlight. Sunlight doesnt affect the methanol much I dont think, but it will break the nitromethane down.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've run 20 year old fuel (was away from airplanes for a long time, then got back into them a bit for a while) and it ran fine.