Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Savage 21 vs T-Maxx 2.5 for Nitro Newbie

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Savage 21 vs T-Maxx 2.5 for Nitro Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 10:37 PM
*~RC~*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage 21 vs T-Maxx 2.5 for Nitro Newbie

i am probably either going to get one of those or a TC3. Which is better if im brand new to nitro.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:34 PM
flatlander_14

do a search this topic has been discussed plenty of times. they both have their good and bad. the savage has a few things that need addressed right away. like stripping wheels and stuff. ive heard of a leaning past half tank so im not sure about that. the tmaxx is what i have more knowledge about. all you really need to get rolling is some good advice on tuning the engine. it can be a *****. i just got a tuned pipe, now its ***** x3 i think its because i dont really know where to start though... we'll see
Old 08-15-2003, 11:54 PM
remten2001

weird i have a savage and i don't have problems with my tank....
Old 08-16-2003, 12:21 AM
flatlander_14

ive only heard of it, no real knowledge firsthand. there are a few threads about it i think. oh well...
Old 08-16-2003, 12:42 AM
14leo

Savage is a diamond with an engine to what they say (unbreaKABLE). tHERE'S IS NO BETTER TRUCK BETWEEN THESE TWO OOPS CAPS . you're going to have to get a T-maxx and a savage . It's just a matter of which you're gonna get first. I myself have a T-maxx. I love it it's fast . T-maxx is a ready to race truck . Savage is a better basher to what i hear. Hop ups there's more for the T-maxx. What do u want racing bashing? both? Out of the box the T-maxx is a better racer and has tremoundous ability to bash. Savage isn't as good as a racer but is a good basher. Like i said you're going TO HAVE TO GET BOTH TRUCKS. At my lhs they've been saying things like T-maxx all the way and other things that just go for the T-maxx. That made me think twice about getting a savage. I'm having big time fun with my T-maxx. You'll have fun with both. Remember the T-maxx comes with a better engine in it's class out of the Two. Faster out of the 2. more hop-ups out of the 2 . it's easy to find any part for the T-maxx. The T-maxx comes with a ez start.

OK this is how i decided since it hasn't been too long before i got my T-maxx (3 weeks ago) Get the T-maxx first. Then wait for the Savage RTR to come out with the S-25 engine that will be probably like in october or november. maybe right away when the ss comes out. I emailed HPI and they told me that their RTR savages were going to change but they didn't know when. Engine is going to change . dogbones some of those weak points. I wouldn't suggest u getting a ss since you're a newbie. oh but if u think u can build it pick your radio servos and all that other stuff thean that;s also a good choice. You can't really go wrong with any of these but i would say get the T-maxx and then get a savge when the engine is updated. just my $.02
Old 08-16-2003, 01:14 AM
flatlander_14

or better yet, instead of buying both, buya tmaxx and get a .21 conversion
Old 08-16-2003, 01:33 AM
SavageRCRacer
My Feedback: (2)

Default Savage

I personally think the Savage is the way to go because it is a lot more forgiving as far as driving. You will have to learn to tune a motor. I have a T-Maxx and just won a savage off ebay. I have driven both and I will like the Savage much better. I personally think the Savage is more of a racer out of the box than a maxx.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:45 AM
tjmaxx

FORDPLAY the T-maxx is a better racer out of the box because it has multiple shock mounting positions and can adjust camber and tow-in. You can not do that with the savage. Plus the T-maxx is faster off the line and top speed. Out of the two I like the T-maxx better. I like mine it is a good basher.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:50 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

which are u more interested in cuz your comparison ranges from touring cars to monster trucks ..u decide what r u interested with if u wanna go on road get the schumacher 80mph..for all roads get the savage..savage have a lot of hop ups too now ..the only thing that a maxx have and the savge doesnt is steel spur gear..i m not ure but thats the only hop up i can think off that is not available for savage yet
Old 08-16-2003, 06:09 AM
tjmaxx

I am pretty sure there is a steel spur gear for the savage out. The T-maxx has alot more aftermarket companies and with the savage you have less companies to choose from.
Old 08-16-2003, 06:33 AM
14leo

T-maxx is more of a rcaer than a savage. If u want to go big block u can with a T-maxx but it will cost you more money. Now if u want a big block hen get the savage. Both trucks are really nice . This v.s thing going on will only lead us to arguments that we don't need so please let's try and not compare the two if you don't have the two. This is just confusing for a newbie . Personally like i said wait for the savage RTR a long time to come with a better engine or get the ss if u want to build the kit.

Like badboy said what do u want to use it for? u have to decide on-road or off-road. Give us some more information on what u need better handling bashing racing jumpinganything . hope this helps some
Old 08-16-2003, 08:08 AM
*~RC~*

well for now im just gonna be bashing, but my friend and i are talking about starting a small team and going to races and tracks.(he has the old .15 maxx) Im still undecided on on-road or off-road. Off-road is more fun and has more places to run but On-road appeals to me and my friend and I would have a more complete team. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:44 AM
SavageRCRacer
My Feedback: (2)

You will spend less money on setting up a Savage (for racing) than you will on a t-maxx(for racing).

tjmaxx.......the Savage doesnt need the extra holes for shock mounts because they monuted them in the right place the first time. Yes the Maxx is faster on the top end but I dont know about that on the bottom.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:52 AM
new72Savage

Either way you go you will be frustrated to the breaking point if it is ur first nitro, trust me!! So pick something u just love to look at, that will keep you from freakin-out and smashing when something goes wrong and u cant get it moving LMAO
Old 08-20-2003, 02:57 AM
tjmaxx

What are you talking about "they set it up right the first time" the T-maxx has the different shock positions so that you can have alot of ground clearance for bashing or have a low cg for racing. with the different shock positions you can make the cg good for different tracks, And for bottom end power the T-maxx gets off the line faster because it is lighter.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:54 AM
Epik

Well I own both a Tmaxx and a Savage. For a nitro newbie I suggest a Savage because the engine is a lot easier to tune in my opinion. Both trucks have their ups and downs. TMaxx is faster and a lot more responsive than the Savage out of the box, but the engine is pretty hard to tune especially if you're a newbie at Nitro. The Savage is very durable and can easily be upgraded as well. If you want speed get a Tmaxx, but get ready for some headaches when it comes to tuning that engine If you want a basher and something that doesn't cost that much to upgrade get a Savage Either way you wont be dissapointed with either truck.