RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

T-maxx overheats?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 03:28 AM
Blackjaxx360
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-maxx overheats?

I'm looking to get a T-maxx. I need to upgrade from electric Stampede I have. It's OK, but after about 5 mins it's a piece of poop. I wanted a nitro truck and decided to go with the T-maxx. I've heard and read a lot of good reviews on the T-maxx. My only problem is that I heard that they overheat a lot, that the stock engine isn't all that great. And being that I'll be tapped out for a while after buying it, and I just want to know if the stock engine is reliable. Please fill me in ASAP because I'm about to buy it soon. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:07 AM
remten2001

You can always carry a bag of ice cubes and let them sit on the cooling head when it gets too hot lol
Old 08-11-2003, 04:10 AM
Blackjaxx360

I'll remember that, lol
Old 08-11-2003, 04:24 AM
njmaxxin

mine doesnt overheat. i do tune it alot since the carburator is a ***** to tune. its a good motor for bashing if ya dont mind tinkering
Old 08-11-2003, 06:30 AM
tjmaxx

If you have a temperature gauge just tune it good so that it doesn't over heat. Also make sure you take good care of the engine and it should be fine.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:00 PM
Blackjaxx360

As long as it has something to do with tuning, I'll be fine. I just thought it was something with the engine itself. I don't mind tuning, being that I have two nitro cars already. Just wanted to know if the truck was reliable as the company beefs it up to be. that's all.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:03 PM
Blackjaxx360

njmaxxin, what part of Jersey are you from? I used to live in Brunswick. Now live in PA. Got sucked in by cheaper real estate and insurance. LOL
Old 08-11-2003, 12:37 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you running with the body on? If you are make sure you cut out the body some. Don't be afraid of it looking bad. After you run it hard a few times it will probably look like crap anyway I also would recommend the bigger head for the engine.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:50 PM
Blackjaxx360

I didn't buy it yet, only looking to. Just wanted some info.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:16 PM
CHassan

Oh I see that now. After adding the head and cutting the body the engine was easy to tune to a rich setting while if breaks in. Another 2/3 gallon and I will lean it out for max performance.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:51 PM
flatlander_14

i cut the heck out of my body and it works good. i know it gets sufficient airflow when i can tune it so its not smoking, put the body on, and it is still fine.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:50 PM
Blackjaxx360

I was advised to go to the classifieds, and I'm finding more and more people selling T-maxxes and no one is selling their Savage. This is kinda bothering me because I kinda wanted a T-maxx, but now I want a Savage, LOL. Looks like I'm gonna have to do more research into the Savage. I just have to wonder if it has to do with the engine overheating problem. :stupid: Please, Fill ME IN!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2003, 11:22 PM
tenks

they do have a tendancy to over heat, only real fix i have seen for this is an after market cooling head. Running super rich just to keep from over heating sucks, get a cooling head if you buy one.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:35 PM
Blackjaxx360

If I can get more people to agree with you then Tmaxx it is. I just don't want the hassle of buying a new engine right away. The initial purchase is going to leave me broke for awhile. So if a simple cooling head fixes this problem then I'll feel better about the Tmaxx
Old 08-11-2003, 11:59 PM
flatlander_14

be aware it may not wheelie on command, but it is good even when it is run rich. i run the hsn like 1/8 - 1/4 turn richer from when the head starts smoking and i am happy with top speed. its the lsn that i try to rob the power from! i am going to soon get a sirio big bore pipe, and later on ill be getting a sirio tx-.18 to complete the package!
Old 08-12-2003, 12:06 AM
Shangri-La

We have quite a few T-Maxxes that we all run together. All of us have Crazy Nut cooling heads...overheating is not an issue anymore even with the hot and humid Florida weather. The 2.5 is a very fast engine. One of the guys is working on his 9th gallon of fuel, engine is still running strong.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:11 AM
Blackjaxx360

As long as that is the only "defect" with them.................. I just can't get it out of my mind about the amount of people selling their Tmaxxes vs. the amount of people selling their Savages. It just seems kinda fishy.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:10 AM
avoor1

Default t-maxx

Get the savage, I made the mistake of buying a t-maxx.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:00 AM
CHassan

I have no experience with the Savage, so I can't compare.
The T-maxx is the first nitro car I ever ran, I've played with airplane engines a bunch. I had troubles at first. Then with the aftermarket head, cutting the body, and getting ue to the sound of the car engine.............Happy as a clam.

With the stiffer rear shock settings and slightly leaner than I normally run, it will pull the front tires easy. However with my normall set up, softer springs and good and rich, it will not. but the high speed is still there, and it tackles the biggest hills I run with ease.