Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Am I having the Savage half tank problem??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Am I having the Savage half tank problem??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 11:52 PM
Chris07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I having the Savage half tank problem??

Yesterday I picked up a new Savage 21. On my 4th tank I started leaning the mixtures out. Everything was running good until I got about down to a ¼ of a tank left. I noticed that when I made sharp turns the engine would start missing. Then all of a sudden it died. I couldn’t get it restarted because I couldn’t get the fuel pump up to the carb. The fuel would just fall back down every time I released the pump. The engine would fire, but would stay running. Does this sound like the ½ tank problem? If so does anyone have a link to the parts needed to put a little tank on the back to resolve this…
Thanks!
Old 08-13-2003, 10:54 AM
Chris07

Anyone??
Old 08-13-2003, 11:15 AM
miserynitro
My Feedback: (8)

this really isn't the tank problem.... i will post in a sec if i can find the parts for you.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:21 AM
miserynitro
My Feedback: (8)

sorry, in depth, the 1/2 tank problem is that the truck actually starts leaning out, this happens because the baffels in the tank don't prevent the gas from moving around and also the fuel pick up is on the front of the tank.

Now when you make sharpe turns on low fuel, it depends which way you turn, one way you turn it will get lots of fuel, and the other way none (as in missing like you descirbed). there are a few ways you can minimize this, use a LARGE fuel filter, which should hold a good amount of fuel... makes it a little more consistant. Buy the header tank, and a T junction (don't know the part numbers but sure any tank will do)

The fuel not going to the carb... usually happens sometimes when the engine is hot, or the fuel lines aren't secured properly, because then it is not building enough pressure to get the fuel to the carb.... when you prime it, it sucks air from the pipe hose, pushes the fuel into the tubing, and so on....
Old 08-14-2003, 03:09 AM
new72Savage

Yeah sound like ur having an overheating issue causeing ur problem, but the overheating at 1/4 tank is most likely the result of the run lean problem. Savage carb is very sensitive to heat.

If it stalls out on u at operating temps, don't even waste ur time tring to start it for at least 10 min (smoke break...lol)

Swing over to savage-central...there are links and info galore there on mods and hop up for the savage (inluding all the part list u ever need). As new savage owner be preparred to spend a good 2-3 wks of night reading through the vast amount of savage specific knowledge there.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:09 AM
Chris07

See my problem is wiered. At about a half tank or less it will just die all of the sudden. I can get it to start, but it runs for like 2 secounds and dies. I try to prime the carb, but when I let off the plunger the fuel just backs away from the carb and doesn't stay up. Thus it only fires and not runs. My engine temps are only 250-275. It primes fine with a full tank, the fuel does not full back down the tube.

Last night I strapped my Nitro MT tank to the back of it. I need to test it today. I tried the 2 oz tank mod last night, but to me that is a big pain in the butt to prime and get ready. I usally only run 1-2 tanks every few days, so its a pain to get ready just for a short amount of driving.