Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Building a near indestructable car from scratch

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Building a near indestructable car from scratch

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 11:13 AM
craigrobbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a near indestructable car from scratch

Alright guys -

I am buildin gmy own RC car from scratch, however i will be salvaging some parts from others trucks like the DIFFS and shocks.

I designed this car around what i wanted from it, Its not a looker i know but it will be functinal!

I designed it to drive upside down and the right way up, full rollcage, 8 shocks allowing full suspension travel both directions, all arms are made from steel bar and are tringulated.

I have done a BASIC drawing in cad as to how she will look when finished - I hope to make a start in the next couple of weeks on this beast.

As for specs, it will be powered by 2 550 motors(maybe brusless undecided yet) pulled from an EMAXX, it will use 8 x 5000mah 2S lipos for SEIRIOUS long runtimes

Its going to use a 4 wheel steering setup & 4 wheel drive.

The main components will be steel and aluminium with the odd bit of plastic here & there, I am using mostly 5th scale components in critical places on the 8th scale car to give stength.

All ball joints are M8, the arms are 2 x 12mm steel

Chassis consists of 2 x 3mm sandwiched decks

All in all this car due to its simplicity shoul not weigh much more than a REVO or SAVAGE(typical 8th scale MT)

Let me know your thoughts, and sujestions & critisism is all welcome!

PLEASE EXCUSE MY VERY CRUDE CAD DRAWINGS - I'm pretty bad at CAD

The shock design isn't final and i may change it yet.

I have what i think come up with the final design now, the shocks MAY still use a torstion bar to aid centeralizing the shocks and keeping them there to help with the 'wobble'

I am hoping to make a start on this next month, unfortunatly i cannot do it right now as i have to go for an operation on my shoulder which is going to make it difficult for me to do any of the manual work on this car.

With electrics installed.

Or maybe this is a little over kill but more than possible...

All drawn to scale, thats 2 x mamba monster Max systems, 10 x 2S lipo 5000mah, to give 25,000mah over 4S

Craig
Old 05-23-2011, 11:17 PM
jackripped

Default RE: Building a near indestructable car from scratch

Good with CAD ay, nice design, problem is your idea is flawed. Nothing, except nothing is unbreakable, your wheels and arms stick out, to be ripped off at high speed, and who knows how that chassis will perform with a high speed head on impact, simple law of physic's is against you, MASS.
Mass and speed, in the rc industry = damage !
E=My radio controlled car     c² !

Looks neat but, build it now, cause thats the much harder part man !

Got a MAZDAC machine ? Gunna need one for that project. To shape thick alloy plates etc, and a milling machine would be handy too, if your going for strength.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:35 AM
craigrobbo

Hi...

Well i know its not going to be 100% indestructable, but i have designed it to be as near as possible.

the arms do stick out yes, however they are 12mm thick with an m10 thread

I have a 3axis milll but the bending will be done else where.

Thanks

Craig
Old 05-24-2011, 03:48 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: jackripped

E=My radio controlled car c² !

Actually, that would be E = 1/2*m*v²
Old 05-28-2011, 06:48 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice design...but what will you use for diffs ? revo diffs are anything but indestructible, and with the extra weight and power of that machine those revo diffs will not last long......
Old 06-02-2011, 03:00 PM
mrsheldon

Nice! supertib is right those diff are going to toast after a few passes.  Losi LST or OFNA  diffs would probably work out better. 

Old 06-05-2011, 09:18 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: mrsheldon
Losi LST or OFNA diffs would probably work out better.
I think either would be destroyed in short order with the amount of power he's throwing into that thing.

You won't find a stronger setup than HPI bulletproof ring/pinion gears for the Savage with Nova 7075-T6 Hellfire diff cups.