Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What happened to the Savage X 5.9?

I saw a press release and for a short time the truck was featured on the savage X SS HPI webpage and now its gone. The model number was HPI 104284. Here is a link to the press release:
    http://www.hpiracing.com/press/104284.html

Anyone have an idea why this disappeared? Did anyone buy one or were they ever available?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: What happened to the Savage X 5.9?

They were available for a while,

then they discontinued that model,

occasionally the xss kit with the beefed up parts and k5.9 do appear on ebay, but ive not seen one recently.
    Its me is that you?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would say none sold or very little at least. People who have experience with these truck know the 5.9 is a low quality, underpowered engine. I have a axial 32rr1 (same engine basically) and my f 4.6 will spank it. In fact my friend had a savage xl and at the time I had made an x into an xl with the f 4.6. I could out run that truck with my 4.6. But keep in mind the SSS 4.6 is also based on the k series engines and the f4.6 will also outrun that engine.
    oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers!-savagex,-savagexl,-savageflux,-revo3.3,-tmaxx3.3,-losi aftershock ltd

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I made the thread because I was wondering what their reason was for discontinuing it.  But with the logic above they wouldn't put the 5.9 in the savage XL and would put the 4.6 in it instead.   The 5.9 isn't popular or anything but none of the HPI engines are powerhouses.  It seemed logical to me at the time that there would be a group of people who want that engine since a good chunk of people still don't swap engines out the first second they buy a kit.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the 5.9 in the savage xss would be a slow savage. when compared to a decent 28 like the rtr savage's f4.6. people who bought the 5.9 xss would have been pretty discouraged when the rtr 28 turns out to be faster. so once again i would say their resoning would be lack of sales as stated above.
    oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers!-savagex,-savagexl,-savageflux,-revo3.3,-tmaxx3.3,-losi aftershock ltd

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

just trying to give you a heads up as alot of savage newbies figure the 5.9 must be a powerhouse because of its displacement. it will be a huge letdown if you buy one. just a heads up . cheers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I personally dont think the 5.9 is that bad of an Engine. I have a Monster GT that i truck pull and there is a savage XL that runs in the class for fun since we have a .30 engine limit; but that stock K5.9 will outpull a Novarossi .28 by a decent bit now that he has it setup right. I've also seen him run it some and its no slouch. Very peppy engine. Lots of torque too. Id sure like to find someone who had a 5.9 that they really disliked and would get rid of cheap; but for some reason you cant find them cheap even though everyone seemingly hates them?
    - Savage - MGT Pulling Truck - Losi LST2 - Brushless Blitz - RC10GT (getting a 2.5) - Brushless T4 - Sportwerks Mayhem Pro