Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

XTM Grizzly? or SMARTECH Big Foot!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

XTM Grizzly? or SMARTECH Big Foot!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 10:34 PM
Kemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XTM Grizzly? or SMARTECH Big Foot!

Ever notice XTM's "new" monster? Notice the 3 letters on the side "SMT"... stands for "Smartech Racing". I did my homework and decided to go to smartechs website... low and behold, its what it is... the xtm grizzly is a chinese built truck... by Smartech Racing.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:16 PM
tashspop
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: XTM Grizzly? or SMARTECH Big Foot!

link? can't find website.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:09 AM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: rccars411

Ever notice XTM's "new" monster? Notice the 3 letters on the side "SMT"... stands for "Smartech Racing". I did my homework and decided to go to smartechs website... low and behold, its what it is... the xtm grizzly is a chinese built truck... by Smartech Racing.

Not trying to be rude, but isnt all of today's popular models built over sea's???

Some may be designed in the US , but most are designed and built over sea's and re- badged

I thought this was common knowledge
Old 10-18-2005, 06:26 AM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Yeah really, how about a link? or two? All this talk and no proof.....Hook us up!!!

Old 10-18-2005, 05:20 PM
Kemo

Not trying to be rude, but isnt all of today's popular models built over sea's???

Some may be designed in the US , but most are designed and built over sea's and re- badged

I thought this was common knowledge
I have yet to buy an R/C that was rebadged, or even made in china. So obviously MOST is not a word to use, because MOST companies design their own vehicles.

XTM Grizzly:

SMT BigFoot:
Old 10-18-2005, 07:35 PM
FE_Chris

Sooooooooooo about that link......???
Old 10-18-2005, 08:24 PM
BAMF90
My Feedback: (1)

www.smartechracing.com
Old 10-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Ever heard of the term OEM? Looks like Smartech is the OEM for more than just the Grizzly. Their 1/5 gasser buggy looks just like Duratrax's.

Producing your products overseas is hardly news and nothing to get excited about. Whether it is necessarily a bad thing depends on your politics.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:10 PM
FE_Chris

Why don't we all just get a 50cc quad and put a radio and servos in it!!!! LOL
Old 10-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Kemo

That "Duratrax" buggy came out after the Smartech buggy did... long after it did.

Producing your products overseas is hardly news and nothing to get excited about. Whether it is necessarily a bad thing depends on your politics.
Its one thing if their factory is overseas, but its another if the company BUYS the same product that some other company uses... and then calls it their own. XTM and Trinity are famous for it.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:01 AM
Volfy

That "Duratrax" buggy came out after the Smartech buggy did... long after it did.

Its one thing if their factory is overseas, but its another if the company BUYS the same product that some other company uses... and then calls it their own. XTM and Trinity are famous for it.
And that would be bad, how?

Seriously, I don't disagree that a company that adds no more value to a product has no right to claim it as their own. Then again, IMHO Duratrax and XTM and Trinity do add some value to the products, in the form of larger distribution, brand awareness, service and support. As far as I know, Smartech does not have much of a distribution/retail presence here in the States. So if I really want their Big Foot, I'd be better served by buying the Grizzly.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Kemo

But then you run in the problem of not knowing where or what it came from so you can browse the product at heart.

I could easily distribute all of the good chinese market cars/trucks here in america, but I need a pre-order to match 1000 bucks to become a distributor. Hell, parts would be dirt cheap for those who need them instead of paying the 300% markup that XTM and Trinity offer.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:16 PM
Volfy

Hey, I would love to do it too. Unfortunately, it takes money to make money. You'd need a heck a lot more than 1,000 bucks to run a successful RC import business. When you realize how much capital expense it take to pay for staff, warehousing, transportation, advertizing, parts & service support, taxes, etc., etc., then an only then should you complain about how much the importers are charging for bringing products to the US.

No sense griping about something you can neither do anything about, or compete on equal footing.

Sure you can sometimes buy grey market (parallel import) goods on Ebay that are very similar or exactly the same, but these leaches are taking advantages of the hardwork and money spent by the legitamate importer to promote & service the brand. If XTM doesn't sell the Grizzly here in the US, I doubt very many people would even think about buying a Smartech Big Foot on Ebay - however cheap the price is.

In case you still aren't convince a brandname is worth 300% markup ... Ever consider why people are willing to buy a T-shirt with a brandname printed on it for $14.95, when you can buy the same 100% cotton T-shirt at Walmart for $2.99? You do the math...
Old 10-22-2005, 10:48 AM
Mr. R0§E

smartech also had a truck identicle to the t-maxx, they're just copiers. Not they have a clone of the grizzly.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:50 PM
Kemo

Traxxas actually sold the tmaxx design to smartech. Wow... what are you trying to say in your last sentence cuz it makes no sense. If you are saying they copied the grizzly, you really have no place in rc! The Smartech Bigfoot has been around LONGER than XTMs "grizzly".
Old 10-22-2005, 06:44 PM
Mr. R0§E

i read rcca. They are probably acasiated, like... hot bodies and hpi.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:58 PM
Kemo

associated with eachother i assume what you mean.

The answer is no. Smartech has been around since the 70s, 1972 i think. They have been building up many many cars, whatever good ones they have end up being upgraded by Acme tech, or bought by companies like Trinity and XTM for example.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:02 PM
Mr. R0§E

AAA... i see. There vertion of a t-maxx isn't that good, CHEAP, but not that good. I bet you could use t-maxx hop-ups on it.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:08 PM
Kemo

Almost all of them. Its the first generation maxx, therefore the diffs are garbage, the engine (its some "leo" bs engine) and obviously the shocks and suspension arms. THEN you have a tmaxx worth talking about.

upgrade to widemaxx, drop in OS cv-rx .18, drop in dynamite inline system for first gen maxx, find some kick ass diffs and you are set. If you really want to show up on RCCA or R/C car's magazine, pick up a nice body, spray it pretty well (i use rattle can and do pretty good at it), pick a set of decent RPM wheels, some Proline tires and use that in a picture.

It'd be the prettiest Smartech out in America.

Edit - Damn, prettiest is a word :P
Old 10-22-2005, 11:51 PM
Making2MuchMoney

*COUGH! smarttech *cough* sucks
Old 10-23-2005, 12:21 AM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

But then you run in the problem of not knowing where or what it came from so you can browse the product at heart.

I could easily distribute all of the good chinese market cars/trucks here in america, but I need a pre-order to match 1000 bucks to become a distributor. Hell, parts would be dirt cheap for those who need them instead of paying the 300% markup that XTM and Trinity offer.
OK now your post makes sence.. You are tying to make a buck by pushing smartech.. try RCU market place
Old 10-24-2005, 01:07 PM
Kemo

ORIGINAL: Making2MuchMoney

*COUGH! smarttech *cough* sucks
See now thats a pointless post. What do you think the Trinity T-spec was? They race those at almost all electric regional races and national races.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:38 PM
PedeBeater

Not to be rude but I am pretty sure that the SMT on the side of the Grizzly stands for "Super Monster Truck". Sounds corny but I have seen it advertized that way many times. And I am not saying that smartech doesn't make the grizzly, because I agree that they do.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:49 AM
twomanytoys

Dude this post is 3 YEARS OLD! Why?
Old 07-29-2008, 01:01 PM
MadManAndrew

Most of the good RC's and nitro motors are designed and built in Europe. Except traxxas, Traxxas Corp. Headquarters is on ly 30 miles from my house.and gt this, my dads business partner, was best friends with the ceo in highschool...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.