Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Which one ? Monster GT 8.0 or Savage XL or Savage X 4.6

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Which one ? Monster GT 8.0 or Savage XL or Savage X 4.6

Old 11-09-2011, 11:37 PM
007mrdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one ? Monster GT 8.0 or Savage XL or Savage X 4.6

Hey guys i am planning to buy a nitro monster truck but i cant decide betweenMonster GT 8.0 or Savage XL or Savage X 4.6. I need something really tough that can handle huuge jumps extreme basing and extreme speed. I am going to order it from tower hobbies to turkey but if you guys know any other rc online shop that ships internationnally (i know hobbyking but they dont have any good trucks) i would love to know. My budget is about 600$ excluding shipping. So please help me guys i cant decide!! Btw thx
Old 11-09-2011, 11:46 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Which one ? Monster GT 8.0 or Savage XL or Savage X 4.6

Losi XXL from overdriverc.com ... Just get a Dynamite engine brace with it, and you're all set..
Old 11-10-2011, 07:22 AM
007mrdr

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Losi XXL from overdriverc.com ... Just get a Dynamite engine brace with it, and you're all set..
I already checked the web site but they dont shop to turkey

Old 11-10-2011, 07:41 AM
HerrSavage

then amainhobbies, with $25 discount..

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...=1&pn=LOSB0016

600 bucks....

Amain has a discount code for -$25, but it's still more than stormer.. Code for amain is JJDPP1125
Old 11-10-2011, 07:48 AM
007mrdr

Do they ship to Turkey? And i checked the site but still couldnt find the price what about mgt 8.0 and savage x and xl ? Because lst xxl is too expensive if the shipping is included ..
Old 11-10-2011, 07:51 AM
HerrSavage

Put it in your cart to see the price..

The Savage X 4.6 is good, and the XL too, though the engine is the XL is known to often have problems, so people often get an LRP or Picco for it.. The XXL is just much better.. Far better radio, better engine, better handling, etc..

You could probably even piece together an XXL from jennysrcparts off ebay.com for a halfway decent price...
Old 11-10-2011, 09:17 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

The Savage X or XL is your best option for a basher. Toughest MT's out there
Old 11-10-2011, 09:22 AM
HerrSavage

No they're not.. At best, in the same league as the XXL - but merely in the toughness category. They lose in every other.

Losi - Spektrum 2.4GhZ radio, dual steering servos, rebadged LRP Spec 3 engine with very well matched tuned pipe and a good, long lasting aluminum clutch, central engine placement for great overall balance(the Savage, though fun to drive in a different kind of way, will flip over on its back - A LOT...), reverse as standard - that works reliably I might add, tires that are great for bashing and last forever, a totally bullet-proof drivetrain, etc.. Only drawbacks IMHO are the stock engine brace(get the Dynamite one..) and the non-metric screws - especially the small 1/16th..

The Savages are decent (and overhyped..) trucks, but honestly, HPI is kind of between Traxxas and Losi when it comes to how advanced their RC's are.. Better than Traxxas, but not quite Losi's pedigree for racing, speed, handling and overall quality..
Old 11-10-2011, 10:35 AM
cummins driver

Personal opinion

The Losi has some great features. But for a basher, the savage is still the truck to beat in MY opinion. That said, i really enjoy driving both my losi and my savage. Both good, strong trucks.

If i were buying the losi though, id sell the Spektrum while it was still brand new, buy another $7 reciever for my fly sky 2.4, and have $150 or so back on the price of the truck...
Old 11-10-2011, 11:58 PM
007mrdr

What about AE Monster GT 8.0 ? Is it also tough it costs about 450-500 bucks
Old 11-11-2011, 05:47 AM
cummins driver

The MGT is a great truck too. I have 2 of them right now (a 4.6 and a brushless conversion) and really enjoy them. Strong driveline, and the 8.0 engine is really strong(the 4.6 is no slouch either). Id have to say the MGT probably isnt quite as strong as the savage or losi, but its not far behind either. They have a couple weak spots, however, they are still great trucks. The 8.0 engine is an awesome performer, but it is hard on fuel. The main thing i havent liked that much with my MGT's is the stock suspension. It is very soft. With some harder springs, and possibly playing with the oil, it will get a good bit better, but I still feel that without some good big bore aluminum shocks, or something similar, that the suspension leaves a little to be desired if you do any jumping or rough ground running. The shock towers are also somewhat weak, but can be upgraded to aluminum. Those are my 2 biggest fusses with the MGT though. Everything on mine are stock, except for stiffer springs, and I have only broken 1 shock tower so far, and popped a shock cap once or twice. You really wont go wrong no matter what you choose. Just go with the one you like the looks and the price of the best, and enjoy it. [8D]
Old 11-11-2011, 05:52 AM
steed2-inactive

Cant beat a savage x for the price, tough as nails, excellent parts support at most lhs's, the engine is a nice powerful used friendly engine, simpler better designed, and better protected drivetrain layout,
Old 11-11-2011, 07:32 AM
007mrdr

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

The MGT is a great truck too. I have 2 of them right now (a 4.6 and a brushless conversion) and really enjoy them. Strong driveline, and the 8.0 engine is really strong(the 4.6 is no slouch either). Id have to say the MGT probably isnt quite as strong as the savage or losi, but its not far behind either. They have a couple weak spots, however, they are still great trucks. The 8.0 engine is an awesome performer, but it is hard on fuel. The main thing i havent liked that much with my MGT's is the stock suspension. It is very soft. With some harder springs, and possibly playing with the oil, it will get a good bit better, but I still feel that without some good big bore aluminum shocks, or something similar, that the suspension leaves a little to be desired if you do any jumping or rough ground running. The shock towers are also somewhat weak, but can be upgraded to aluminum. Those are my 2 biggest fusses with the MGT though. Everything on mine are stock, except for stiffer springs, and I have only broken 1 shock tower so far, and popped a shock cap once or twice. You really wont go wrong no matter what you choose. Just go with the one you like the looks and the price of the best, and enjoy it. [8D]
I guess ill do it like you say And get the one i like the design and the price
Btw thx everybody

Old 11-12-2011, 07:29 PM
FluxAscender

And nobody mentions the fact that getting parts for the MGT is going to bankrupt the poor guy.

007mrdr: The Savage is the best option for you, even if the Losi performs better, or if the MGT is a little tougher. It's hard enough to get parts for the MGT here in the USA, but in Turkey, it's probably going to mean having your truck down for a long time if you break a part. The HPI Savage, though, is easy to find parts for, and has the most aftermarket support of any RC vehicle out there. I know I kid who lived in Turkey for a while with his father, and he said he could find most parts locally, and if not, he could get them shipped in within a few days for cheap.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:37 PM
HerrSavage

MGT parts are widely available and cheap in Europe.. Thunder Tiger is big here..
Old 11-13-2011, 01:19 AM
cummins driver

^^ What he said

MGT parts are easy and cheap to get about anywhere you can buy parts for anything else.

And as much as i like the savage, it has no where near the Aftermarket support that a T-Maxx has.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:53 PM
FluxAscender

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

^^ What he said

MGT parts are easy and cheap to get about anywhere you can buy parts for anything else.

And as much as i like the savage, it has no where near the Aftermarket support that a T-Maxx has.
Are you kidding me? Maxx may have more parts in inventory at the big online stores, but don't mistake that for meaning it has more support. Every single part on the Savage is made by at least four different large aftermarket companies, and there are dozens of smaller companies that make various parts, including the biggest variety of chassis parts of any RC out there, including extended chassis in 7 different lengths up to 1/5 scale, in aluminum, steel, carbon fiber, and even clear Lexan.

The only thing you can do on a Maxx that you can't get a bolt-in mod for on the Savage is a center differential, and there are hundreds of people who have taken care of that on their own.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:59 PM
cummins driver

Do an Ebay search for t-maxx, and then savage. The T-Maxx has a lot more aftermarket. Its a far worse truck, but it has a LOT of aftermarket support.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:58 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Savage or XL FTW.
MGT 8.0 isn't worth messing with if it's hard to get parts...

Just get a Savage XL and do this -

If Losi is more your speed,

Old 11-16-2011, 12:11 AM
HerrSavage

Comparing Savages to LST2's has always reminded me of this(though in the original the far left should be an American football player), the former to the latter, from left to right:

Your spelling and overall communicative ability(or lack thereof), and calling me ghey, don't disprove it. And yes, my LST2 could do that jump any day. But I'll give credit where it's due - you have a good pic there for showing off. But actually it doesn't really prove anything. Other than that you drove off a ramp.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:20 AM
HerrSavage

Then there's this, which happened after landing from about 1 1/2 feet up at quarter throttle, in 6-8 inch high grass(was practicing lining up for the ramp is all.. First "jump" of the day... And last, obviously.. Brand new truck.)

Old 11-16-2011, 05:15 AM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Then there's this, which happened after landing from about 1 1/2 feet up at quarter throttle
Sounds like exactly the same way my losi cracked the engine brace And that costs $20 and a little bit of dissasembly to fix.....
Old 11-16-2011, 06:13 AM
HerrSavage

The engine brace is the ONLY thing that needs to be changed out immediately on an LST2. Everybody knows that.

It's dumb of Losi to not have remedied that in all these years, but who knows, maybe they have some deal with Dynamite ha ha...

And who are you kidding anyway? As if you've ever jumped any of your RC's...

Here is a straight up comparison between my Savage and LST2 - same day, same ramp, etc.. You can see for yourself which outperformed which - and which broke..:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us5hIGH0Dac

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...il509_0001.mp4

(Music is only the same cuz nothing else would get through the filters...)
Old 11-16-2011, 06:24 AM
HerrSavage

Stock XXL - no Dynamite brace:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G61YS...eature=related

(random youtube find..)
Old 11-16-2011, 09:29 AM
007mrdr

Btw guys i actually decided on mgt 8.0 because it is cheaper than both and i can actually order the parts online. so do i need to buy something else to make it run that the box doesnt include. i will buy nitro and i also have 2x 2s lipe 2200 mah ? do i need to buy anything else thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.