Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

problems staying running

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 07:21 PM
lcplmcgraw1014

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems staying running

hey everyone sorry if this is in the wrong place new guy here but i have a problem i just bought a XTM X FACTOR 2 from my boss and it sat up for 2 years i tore the engine down cleaned it out engine seems to be in good shape i did the same with the carb i new glow plug new batteries i got it to run barely and the only way it will stay running is with the glow plug on and throttle held open i have the high spped needle set to factory 4 turns idle is a 1mm I work at a car dealership and the mecahnic said it seems like it not holding vaccum the head gasket might need to be replaced? or maybe the carb is bad just need some help guys thanks in advance happy thanksgiving
Old 11-24-2011, 07:38 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: problems staying running

ORIGINAL: lcplmcgraw1014

hey everyone sorry if this is in the wrong place new guy here but i have a problem i just bought a XTM X FACTOR 2 from my boss and it sat up for 2 years i tore the engine down cleaned it out engine seems to be in good shape i did the same with the carb i new glow plug new batteries i got it to run barely and the only way it will stay running is with the glow plug on and throttle held open i have the high spped needle set to factory 4 turns idle is a 1mm I work at a car dealership and the mecahnic said it seems like it not holding vaccum the head gasket might need to be replaced? or maybe the carb is bad just need some help guys thanks in advance happy thanksgiving
If the engine quits when you pull the glow driver, your low speed mixture is obscenely rich. Lean that low speed needle down 1/4 turn to start with. The glow plug coil gets doused with raw fuel being run that rich and the glow driver helps keep the glow plug lit. That is of course assuming the glow plug is new or near new. If it isnt, replace it. If your fuel is 2 years old too, replace that while you're at it.

Once you get it to run without the glow driver attached, set your high speed needle for max performance first, then adjust the idle/low speed mixture. This is very important.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:22 PM
lcplmcgraw1014

so this could be why it wont start easy and when it does i have to hold down the throttle im not to sure if it is pulling fuel constent i will try to turn down the needle some more.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:12 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

so this could be why it wont start easy and when it does i have to hold down the throttle im not to sure if it is pulling fuel constent i will try to turn down the needle some more.
Requiring throttle to get the engine started adds creedance to the rich low speed idea. The main needle (high speed) is probably going to be too rich as well; usually right around 3.5 turns out from seated is pretty close for my climate in Minnesota. Low speed mixture is usually 1.5-1.75 turns out and is a bit rich at that.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:48 PM
1bbcd5
Banned

Thanks for this post guys I was going through the same thing

Old 11-26-2011, 03:26 PM
lcplmcgraw1014

thanks for the quick response im going to try this tonight and post i believe this is going to fix it i think i had the LSN almost closed so im going to open the carb barrel completely and then close the LSN and back it out 3 turns sound about right?
Old 11-26-2011, 03:38 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

thanks for the quick response im going to try this tonight and post i believe this is going to fix it i think i had the LSN almost closed so im going to open the carb barrel completely and then close the LSN and back it out 3 turns sound about right?
If the engine has a slide carb, set the idle gap to 1mm. Then lightly seat the idle needle, and I'd back it out 2 turns. I think 3 turns is going to be too rich. I'd set your high speed mixture needle (I call it the main needle) at 3-4 turns out from lightly seated.

What engine are you working with? How much run-time has the engine gotten?
Old 11-27-2011, 02:38 PM
lcplmcgraw1014

it is a xtm x factor 2 truck motor is a 24.7 and it wasnt used to much as i said i got it from my boss and we work 6 days a week so it wased used once a day for a few months so i did everything yall said and hook it up and the one way bearing is shot in it now so gotta buy a new one i have a automatic starter should i keep it or go back to the pull start. and no one carries xtm anymore so ill post back in a few