RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

problems staying running

Reply
Old 11-24-2011, 07:21 PM
  #1
lcplmcgraw1014
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: tuscaloosa, AL
Posts: 16
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default problems staying running

hey everyone sorry if this is in the wrong place new guy here but i have a problem i just bought a XTM X FACTOR 2 from my boss and it sat up for 2 years i tore the engine down cleaned it out engine seems to be in good shape i did the same with the carb i new glow plug new batteries i got it to run barely and the only way it will stay running is with the glow plug on and throttle held open i have the high spped needle set to factory 4 turns idle is a 1mm I work at a car dealership and the mecahnic said it seems like it not holding vaccum the head gasket might need to be replaced? or maybe the carb is bad just need some help guys thanks in advance happy thanksgiving
lcplmcgraw1014 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:38 PM
  #2
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 8,772
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: problems staying running


Quote:
ORIGINAL: lcplmcgraw1014

hey everyone sorry if this is in the wrong place new guy here but i have a problem i just bought a XTM X FACTOR 2 from my boss and it sat up for 2 years i tore the engine down cleaned it out engine seems to be in good shape i did the same with the carb i new glow plug new batteries i got it to run barely and the only way it will stay running is with the glow plug on and throttle held open i have the high spped needle set to factory 4 turns idle is a 1mm I work at a car dealership and the mecahnic said it seems like it not holding vaccum the head gasket might need to be replaced? or maybe the carb is bad just need some help guys thanks in advance happy thanksgiving
If the engine quits when you pull the glow driver, your low speed mixture is obscenely rich. Lean that low speed needle down 1/4 turn to start with. The glow plug coil gets doused with raw fuel being run that rich and the glow driver helps keep the glow plug lit. That is of course assuming the glow plug is new or near new. If it isnt, replace it. If your fuel is 2 years old too, replace that while you're at it.

Once you get it to run without the glow driver attached, set your high speed needle for max performance first, then adjust the idle/low speed mixture. This is very important.
1QwkSport2.5r is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:22 PM
  #3
lcplmcgraw1014
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: tuscaloosa, AL
Posts: 16
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: problems staying running

so this could be why it wont start easy and when it does i have to hold down the throttle im not to sure if it is pulling fuel constent i will try to turn down the needle some more.
lcplmcgraw1014 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:12 PM
  #4
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 8,772
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: problems staying running


Quote:
ORIGINAL: lcplmcgraw1014

so this could be why it wont start easy and when it does i have to hold down the throttle im not to sure if it is pulling fuel constent i will try to turn down the needle some more.
Requiring throttle to get the engine started adds creedance to the rich low speed idea. The main needle (high speed) is probably going to be too rich as well; usually right around 3.5 turns out from seated is pretty close for my climate in Minnesota. Low speed mixture is usually 1.5-1.75 turns out and is a bit rich at that.
1QwkSport2.5r is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:48 PM
  #5
1bbcd5
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: new york, NY
Posts: 13
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: problems staying running

Thanks for this post guys I was going through the same thing

1bbcd5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:26 PM
  #6
lcplmcgraw1014
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: tuscaloosa, AL
Posts: 16
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: problems staying running

thanks for the quick response im going to try this tonight and post i believe this is going to fix it i think i had the LSN almost closed so im going to open the carb barrel completely and then close the LSN and back it out 3 turns sound about right?
lcplmcgraw1014 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:38 PM
  #7
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 8,772
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: problems staying running


Quote:
ORIGINAL: lcplmcgraw1014

thanks for the quick response im going to try this tonight and post i believe this is going to fix it i think i had the LSN almost closed so im going to open the carb barrel completely and then close the LSN and back it out 3 turns sound about right?
If the engine has a slide carb, set the idle gap to 1mm. Then lightly seat the idle needle, and I'd back it out 2 turns. I think 3 turns is going to be too rich. I'd set your high speed mixture needle (I call it the main needle) at 3-4 turns out from lightly seated.

What engine are you working with? How much run-time has the engine gotten?
1QwkSport2.5r is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:38 PM
  #8
lcplmcgraw1014
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: tuscaloosa, AL
Posts: 16
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: problems staying running

it is a xtm x factor 2 truck motor is a 24.7 and it wasnt used to much as i said i got it from my boss and we work 6 days a week so it wased used once a day for a few months so i did everything yall said and hook it up and the one way bearing is shot in it now so gotta buy a new one i have a automatic starter should i keep it or go back to the pull start. and no one carries xtm anymore so ill post back in a few

lcplmcgraw1014 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:07 AM.