RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

New Hyper 8 Port HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 07:05 PM
Raddick
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hyper 8 Port HELP!

Well, the time has come to break in the engine in my new dominator/maxx hybrid but one thing is killing me. The brand new Hyper 8 port engine seems nearly impossible to turn over after 2 or 3 pulls. After the initial 2 or 3 the pullstart just wont budge. I tried a tip from an old RCCA magazine which was to warm the engine up with a blow dryer but that didnt work at all. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 08-27-2003, 07:38 PM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like its flooding. What you can do is take the glowplug out and pull the starter a few times to clear it out. Install a new glow plug but after you tighten it down, loosen it a 1/4 turn. This relieves some of the compression and makes the engine MUCH easier to start. Once the engine fires up tighten it down slowly. Warming it with a blowdryer will also help it start a bit easier. 8 ports are really tough to break in without a starter box.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:53 PM
Raddick

Its not flooding... I know this because I have taken out the glow plug multiple times but there never is a significant amount of fuel in the engine. The blowdryer didnt help when I tried but I just came back inside after trying again and the engine seems to be giving me a few more pulls each time I go out there. And this time the last few pulls before it felt like it was stuck again the engine finally sounded like it was about to start.

Anyway, hopefully I get this thing broken in today so I can have it ready for race day on sunday
Old 08-27-2003, 10:02 PM
fourwheeler

Do like Avalanche said and loosen the glow plug about 1/4 turn. It will make your life much easier.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:09 PM
Raddick

getting about 10 pulls out of it before it gets stuck again... And no not flooding.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:10 PM
evlwevl-RCU

Default Easy on that pullstart

Be careful with that pullstart. I've heard many times over that the pullstarts on that particular engine are very proned to breakage because of the compression, so follow the loosening of the glowplug advice you've heard. Thats exactly why I decided to go with the OFNA .26 which is still not without it's own set of problems.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:56 PM
Legendary

Default Ofna engines,

At least the 8 Port and the Force .25 are very very hard to beak-in! It took almost a gallon of fuel to get mine broke-in and running right and it is still hard to pull start even though it starts after 1-2 pulls! Once you get past this pain in the ars part you will be happy with the engine! The make a ton of usable power!
Old 08-28-2003, 07:19 PM
Stingray

Had the same problems....throw a few drops of after run engine oil in the glow plug hole and down the carb. Also, never pull that thing more then 10 inches out or you'll be sorry later...A great engine once it's tweaked out.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:25 PM
Raddick

Didnt have any luck starting the thing yesterday. I'd get to the point of smelling the burned fuel but it wouldnt start. It would just get stuck down all of a sudden and be VERY hard to pull. I'll try again today after work, hopefully I can get it started and it will ease up after the first tank.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:19 PM
Avalanche

Do yourself a favor, loosen the glow plug like we have said.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:30 PM
Raddick

Been doing that.... :stupid:
Old 08-28-2003, 09:01 PM
dagass

You may find some useful information here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...70&forumid=215

Also, the hairdryer trick works extremely well IF you heat the engine case and not the heatsink. It will take a minute or two but you can get the engine temp up to 220 - 230 degrees if you have patience. Good luck!!
Old 08-28-2003, 09:09 PM
Raddick

I guess I should warm it up more than just hottish to the touch and actually get it close to normal running temp with the hairdryer. Hopefully this works, thanks to everyone in advance...
Old 08-29-2003, 01:39 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

if u didnt start it yet try putting after run oil then blow dry...and to ease the pull loosen the glo plug then when it starts tighten it back...i have the same thing but after 5to8 tanks it starts easily but i broke 1 pullstart...powerful engine made my savage wheelie
Old 08-29-2003, 06:01 PM
Raddick

Starting to piss me off...

Was outside for one hour pulling on the thing. I could tell it got very close to starting because it sounded like it was about to fire up. I'm about to go out there again and give it another 5 hours worth of pulls.
Old 08-30-2003, 12:19 AM
Avalanche

Change the glow plug just to be safe, make sure the charger is fully charged and the engine is properly primed. Even a good NiMh glow charger is only good for about 5-10 minutes of glow warming.
Old 08-30-2003, 03:23 AM
Raddick

Brand new OS A3 glow plug and Brand new D battery in a D battery glow ignitor....
Old 08-30-2003, 05:55 AM
willisdeez

I used a heat gun and warmed under engine block under the heatsink till the temp got to a constant 250, then i started it up.
Old 08-30-2003, 10:56 AM
Avalanche

Originally posted by SilviaS13
Brand new OS A3 glow plug and Brand new D battery in a D battery glow ignitor....

Junk that ignitor and go to the hobby shop and get yourself a nice rechargable NiMh Sub-C cell glow ignitor with a meter on it. They are about $20 and out perform any alkaline ignitor on the market. I've heard several stories similar to yours that were due to that ignitor. One they got the "good" one, the motor started on the first pull. I got one with my buggy and threw it right in the garbage, it wouldnt even make the coils on the glow plug glow.
Old 08-30-2003, 12:35 PM
Raddick

Mine glows, but doesnt glow all they way to the end of the coil. Really think thats the problem? If so, I'm going to the LHS tomorrow anyway so I'll pick up a good ignitor.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:13 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

use os8 plug and stick with the blow dy trick it worked 4 me