Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Comparison thread again...Newest T-Maxx 3.3 vs. 2012 Losi Aftershock Limited Edition

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Comparison thread again...Newest T-Maxx 3.3 vs. 2012 Losi Aftershock Limited Edition

Old 03-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Scooter B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparison thread again...Newest T-Maxx 3.3 vs. 2012 Losi Aftershock Limited Edition

I hope this doesn't start any BS, but I'm torn between these two trucks. Getting back into the hobby after being out of it for many, many years. I'm in my late 30's...been doing this since the grasshopper and the lunchbox.

I did a search, but all Ifind isa bunch of 12 year olds arguing about a 10 yr. old t max 2.5 and the first aftershock or an old LST bought off ebay...

I don't race at a track, just goofing around with the kids and neighbors. Want a tough truck that can stand up to some moderate neighborhoodbashing (street, grass and some dirt)and not spend all day on the bench...like my redcat did - darn thing broke everytime I looked at it.

I don't want a REVO, HPISavage, or a LSTXXL. I don't want helicopter,boat,or an airplane... and please don't tell me to "Go Brushless"
This is a nitro thread.

Can I get some real world opinions on the latest up to date modelsof the T-maxx 3.3 (#4907)and theAftershock LEfrom real world experience? And please, lets avoid posts like "Traxxas sucks" and "Savageforever dude"

Thanks!

Scoot

Old 03-27-2012, 09:40 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Comparison thread again...Newest T-Maxx 3.3 vs. 2012 Losi Aftershock Limited Edition

Well, I am a Losi fan when it comes to MT's. The Aftershock has some flaws - thin arms, 14mm hubs, a bushing instead of a bearing in the 2-speed, and a crap pipe for ex..(All of which is remedied with the XXL of course..) That said, it will be a BIG truck for an 8th scale, and will be fast and handle great. For general bashing around the yard it will be tough enough.

I personally do not like Traxxas because IMO their modus operandi is to sell shiny, nice looking RTR RC's that are actually pretty flimsy, and need lots of hop-ups to be reasonably durable - which is how they really make their money..

So between those two I would get the Aftershock.

But again, without in any way trying to talk trash or argue or anything like that, based on what you say you want to do, I kind of think the Savage X 4.6 would be a better call. I would expect it to be a bit more reliable and tough than the Aftershock.. Depends of course on how you treat it...

Generally, IMPO, my top-3 list of 8th scale nitro MT's would look something like this:

1.) Losi XXL - the "Cadillac" of MT's. Or Porsche, if you like...*
2.) Savage X 4.6. Good, fast, solid RC.
3.) Savage XL. It would be #2, but the engine has a terrible reputation. With an LRP .30, switch it up to #2.

The Aftershock would be a few notches below those, and any Traxxas further below that.

But OK, you gave your options, so that being the case, Aftershock...

* I assume your reason for excluding the XXL is price. And I understand that. The point I would lay out for you though is the following: RC is not an activity to think about doing over the period of say, a week, or even a month.., but rather over more like a year(maybe more..) Once the gallons and months start going by, stuff will wear out, and possibly break depending on what you do. In the case of the Aftershock, you will be looking at upgrading to XXL stuff as you go.. - because basically it's dirt cheap on ebay chop shops, and you might as well if the stuff is beefier than what's on the AS. But, to really convert, you need A LOT of stuff. The XXL is really beefier - in a lot of areas - hubs, carriers, shafts, drive-cups, etc.. Not to mention more or less "needing" new XXL stuff like the HD pipe right off the bat if you get an AS(OK OK you don't absolutely NEED it - but most would tell you to do it because it will make a big difference - which it will... Plenty of guys been through the last years reporting precisely that...)

In any event, you have your reasons, so that's fine. IMO get the AS, and an XXL pipe off jennysrcparts on ebay.com to get started. As time goes by, get an alu clutch out of an XXL, and eventually maybe also a 2-speed(I've bought several of each over the years from jennys...)

Good luck..

ps Check prices for Losi stuff at www.overdriverc.com .. He normally has the best prices on Losi kits that I know of..
Old 03-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Scooter B

Default RE: Comparison thread again...Newest T-Maxx 3.3 vs. 2012 Losi Aftershock Limited Edition

Thanks herrsavage. You are correct, cost is a factor. I don't want to come off nearly $700 bucks for an rc car. I have many other hobbies, which include full size power boats, water fowl hunting and "extreme golf carting", all which cost lots of money.

The aftershock (with an HT pipe from ebay) costs about the same as the new T-Maxx. I have looked at both of them in person (local hoby shop) but have not had a chance to see either run in person. My plan would be to upgrade either one as I go, just like with my other hobbies (you should see my golf cart! started out w/ a $2000 ezgo, now I'm in over 5K on the thing) I know there will be parts to replace as I go and figured I'd just get the better stuff as needed.

The out of the box quality ispart of the question, What I don't want to do is drop $400 bucks and shred gears, break shocks, etc... on the first day going up and down the street. (remember, I had a redcat) Sounds like Aftershock is a better buy, I would add the HTpipe for sure, alum clutch shoes, roll bar, and thenreplace A-arms as needed with stronger ones.

Your opinion on Traxxas makes a lot of sense...just compare their website to others, LOT'S of flash/bling/slow-mo videosand what not.

Thanks for your input on the Savage...I hear the handling is not that great compared to other MT's. What do you think?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:06 PM
HerrSavage

Handling on the Savage? Well, you're not racing in some über-serious track competitions or anything.. I.e., handling is relative for cruising around the yard..

The Savage is a pretty solid RTR package for people who just want to bash around the yard, construction sites, wheelie down the road, etc.. IMHO.. Tons of options, including bodies available too..
Old 03-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Scooter B

I hear you, but it has been called roll over prone more than once. Thank you again for your answer, I'll keep it as a 3rd option.

Now, lets get back to the Aftershock LE and the T Maxx 3.3, any oneelse?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 AM
Scooter B

Well, just ran across an almost new savage x 4.6 with all the accessories in original box for $325...  Looks pretty clean, less than a gallon of fuel through it.  What do you think Herrsavage? 
Old 03-28-2012, 08:34 AM
HerrSavage

I don't think I can really say. One, I'd have to see it, and get a feel for the seller. Two, not to up on US prices. Maybe some other Savage guys can chime in.

I do believe the Savage X has been through a few versions. If it were me, it would definitely have to be the most current version(with the best diffs, etc..)
Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 AM
Scooter B

Thanks, this is the one with the new red/black digital camo style body and the single big bore shocks.Said it was purchased new 3month ago. Looks to be most current model. Thatis over $125 bucks lessthan new....not sure if it's worth the risk forthat savings.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:56 AM
HerrSavage

Well, used is always a crapshoot.. Could work out just fine, could be a lemon.. Your call.

If you trust the guy, try to get him down to 300 and go for it.. If nothing is obviously busted on the truck, worst case scenario(normally..) he ruined the engine not breaking it in or whatever, then you have to pay another 100 bucks for a new one..

In any case, no way I can tell you what to do.. Have to go with your gut..
Old 03-31-2012, 07:09 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Definately go with the aftershock, or savage over the T-Maxx. The T-Maxx is ok, but they need too many upgrades to suit me. A 4.6 MGT is a good truck too.

Sounds like the savage is the newest version with the BP differentials, big bore shocks and all that. So its a good truck as long as the owner didnt mess it up somehow.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:35 PM
steed2-inactive

i wouldnt pay more than 250 for a used savage. i always go on the engine being shot and take it from there. for 450 you can get a brand new savage, so imo that savage is overpriced,
Old 04-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Max_Power

I'm about your age and decided to get back into RC cars after 15 years(had been doing rc aircraft still) Most of what I was after was just to have fun without breaking the bank, or being frustrated at always breaking and repairing. Also didn't want to get bored too quick andwanted to have it be something I would play with long term even if not everyday. I visited all the local shops and found that 3/4 of the youth working there couldn't tell me which ones had reverse, 2.4 or AM radio , durability comparison, or any basic info to compare. When asked for opinions on which might suit me best I got "Savage, Definitely!!!....Or the Losi....But the Associated will always be the best......But I'd just go electric" all in the same sentence.

In the end I decided to get the 3.3 T-maxx and honestly I couldn't be more pleased. It runs well, Traxxas stood behind the product(even when my problem was with the hobby shop, not them they bent over backwards to make me happy) and knock on wood Is holding together great. I have made minimal upgrades (RPM bumpers, a rechargeable RX battery, and a cooler IMHO body) I've not ran it head on into anything full speed, but have hit some stuff..cartwheeled, flipped, rolled, had some bad landings,etc. I've only broken the stock front bumper(logpile collision) and part of the wheelie bar because I forgot to remove it and landed a jump vertically on it like 10 times. I did find upgrading the EZ start battery was a huge help.

I know there are a lot of anti Traxxas(or just not big fans) folks here But I honestly think some of it at least is just that it's popular to dislike popular things , especially if folks often reccommend them for entry level. Maybe a form of rebelling against the system even in the younger crowd? (I know there are a lot of old hands that dislike them too so not judging....to each his own) Refined for 15 years, huge aftermarket support, Parts are dirt cheap and probably the only hobby grade truck you can get parts for at a auto parts store or Sears(I think someone said Toys-R-us too?) I haven't owned or driven the other trucks, and I'm sure it could be debated forever that one is better than the other..But I can't by any stretch of imagination see how someone could say the truck isn't what the manufacturer promises or is unsatisfactory. I spent a month + shopping and thinking it over and I'm glad I DIDN'tT pick something else. For me...One of those decisions you look back and are definite you made the right choice for yourself.

Hope you enjoy whatever you get!! Todd
Old 04-16-2012, 11:29 PM
kopperlis123
Banned

Great site. A lot of useful information here. I’m sending it to some friends!