Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

The Official Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

The Official Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The Official Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 thread

ORIGINAL: supertib

Truggies rule !!!
To make the mt4 into a truggy

-Truggy Shell, I don't know which one but it has to be jconcepts or proline for durabilty
-Truggy sized tires, maybe badlands 3.8 for bashing and whatever the pros are using at the track for racing
-Rear Wing Mount for ST1
-Rear Wing
-Larger Pinion, only if you need a bit more speed
-Truggy like diff oil settings

And now you have an entry level truggy

Old 12-28-2012, 11:50 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice Haddi.. I'm looking at getting one of those braces too.. I actually like the stock body - seem to be in the minority there..

Though yeah the MT4 is based on a truggy, it's pretty monster-like with those huge tires and ability to wheely at will without needing to resort to trickery like locking the center diff.. An LST2 is also incredibly well balanced, possibly even moreso in terms of weight distribution.. My nitro truggy would never be this fun in a parking lot - because it's made for the track. Gearing, tires, suspensiom, etc.. And being nitro you can't really run huge tires like these. For me, my fun rides are LST2 and SC8 for nitro, MT4 for electric. Bug and trug are for the track..
Old 12-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Nice Haddi.. I'm looking at getting one of those braces too.. I actually like the stock body - seem to be in the minority there..

Though yeah the MT4 is based on a truggy, it's pretty monster-like with those huge tires and ability to wheely at will without needing to resort to trickery like locking the center diff.. An LST2 is also incredibly well balanced, possibly even moreso in terms of weight distribution.. My nitro truggy would never be this fun in a parking lot - because it's made for the track. Gearing, tires, suspensiom, etc.. And being nitro you can't really run huge tires like these. For me, my fun rides are LST2 and SC8 for nitro, MT4 for electric. Bug and trug are for the track..
I too also liked the stock body shell.......when it was in one piece

I put 100k in the center and it feels very powerful now, explosive acceleration. You have quite a nice collection there, a great range of different vehicles for different purposes. I chose the mt4 as my 1st 8 scale because I can tune it for track like handling or monster truck bashing like handling, very versitile.

I know your the type who hates a diff oil discussionbut I'm not looking for a pro level racing setup or anything like that

I am thinking of putting 30k in the front diff and 10k in the rear because that what I have lying around, would that be an ok setting for general bashing and won't put too much pressure on cvd shafts or something like that?

Old 12-29-2012, 03:19 AM
HerrSavage

Not too sure on the diffs.. I noticed after my first outing, there was some oil around the center diff. Don't know if that is from a leak, or just excess working its way out. My fronts are ballooning more and more though. Need to get some heavier stuff in the middle..

Was just at the park up the road. Was a trip to be there in the middle of all these people walking and cycling through, and I was thrashing around, while sitting on a park bench. Lot of oohs and aahhs.., few questions.. I get that with nitro too, but generally you have to be much further from city centers.. One wide-eyed mom (with two wide-eyed kids and an even wider-eyed husband..) asked me how much.. - "€150?".. I told her more like €500 (not including batteries), and she quickly lost interest..

So cool though, that I can run this thing anywhere - big difference, especially in an über-uptight country like Germany.. Am kind of feeling the urge to run some nitro though. With nitro though it's pack all this stuff up, and if you're gonna take one out, take two in case one has issues. Big ordeal - then drive someplace, probably not be able to drive between 1-3pm, etc etc.. This thing I can walk to the park from the front door. I still love nitro(have no choice, have six of them...), but being able to walk out the door and run it - in the middle of a city btw - is a huge huge plus, given my particular circumstances..

Also bought a lipo checker this morning. One pack I ran for about 15 minutes in a parking lot yesterday. So I ran it for about 15 more today, then the power noticeably dropped of. When I put the lipo checker on it though, it said cell 2 was at like 2.9, with all the others around 3.6-3.7.. How bad is that? I then ran the second pack through, and the second cell was also under 3.2(though more like 3.1 I think..) They seem to be trying to balance themselves back up naturally...?

Definitely need to try 5s..
Old 12-29-2012, 03:53 AM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is that the Volts right after a run or after sitting

Old 12-29-2012, 03:58 AM
Haddi Taha

Not too sure on the diffs.. I noticed after my first outing, there was some oil around the center diff. Don't know if that is from a leak, or just excess working its way out. My fronts are ballooning more and more though. Need to get some heavier stuff in the middle..

Was just at the park up the road. Was a trip to be there in the middle of all these people walking and cycling through, and I was thrashing around, while sitting on a park bench. Lot of oohs and aahhs.., few questions.. I get that with nitro too, but generally you have to be much further from city centers.. One wide-eyed mom (with two wide-eyed kids and an even wider-eyed husband..) asked me how much.. - "€150?".. I told her more like €500 (not including batteries), and she quickly lost interest..

So cool though, that I can run this thing anywhere - big difference, especially in an über-uptight country like Germany.. Am kind of feeling the urge to run some nitro though. With nitro though it's pack all this stuff up, and if you're gonna take one out, take two in case one has issues. Big ordeal - then drive someplace, probably not be able to drive between 1-3pm, etc etc.. This thing I can walk to the park from the front door. I still love nitro(have no choice, have six of them...), but being able to walk out the door and run it - in the middle of a city btw - is a huge huge plus, given my particular circumstances..

Also bought a lipo checker this morning. One pack I ran for about 15 minutes in a parking lot yesterday. So I ran it for about 15 more today, then the power noticeably dropped of. When I put the lipo checker on it though, it said cell 2 was at like 2.9, with all the others around 3.6-3.7.. How bad is that? I then ran the second pack through, and the second cell was also under 3.2(though more like 3.1 I think..) They seem to be trying to balance themselves back up naturally...?

Glad to hear that the mt4 is allowing you to drive when you normally wouldn't, but I don't see any brushless being a complete replacement for a nitro lover, more like an addition, like when people buy mini's so they can drive indoors when it raining.

Now about your batteries, its not normal for there to be such a difference in voltage and it is quite dangerous, always balance charge just incase, so the better cells won't end up being overcharged. I think you should contact the seller, they should be at maximum about 0.1V between each other, mine a normally 0.02V apart and they are just 4 old 2s Hobbyking Zippy batteries that I run in series to make 4s, nothing special.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:08 AM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

Glad to hear that the mt4 is allowing you to drive when you normally wouldn't, but I don't see any brushless being a complete replacement for a nitro lover, more like an addition, like when people buy mini's so they can drive indoors when it raining.

Now about your batteries, its not normal for there to be such a difference in voltage and it is quite dangerous, always balance charge just incase, so the better cells won't end up being overcharged. I think you should contact the seller, they should be at maximum about 0.1V between each other, mine a normally 0.02V apart and they are just 4 old 2s Hobbyking Zippy batteries that I run in series to make 4s, nothing special.

he could have a weak cell and under heavy load it will drop well below the others after resting for about 20min it should bounce back some and anytime you drain a cell beyond 80% it can be damaged so yes bad
Old 12-29-2012, 04:21 AM
HerrSavage

Well I just put it on the charger, and the 2nd cell, which had just before read 3.15 on the lipo checker, read 3.51 on the charger... And no, I'm not dyslexic.

Took the other battery off, and it too read differently from the charger to the checker.. I'm more inclined I think to mistrust the checker than the charger..

ps After 10 minutes on the charger they're all at about 3.86, give or take .02... This was the battery with the really low count for the 2nd cell on the checker.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:00 AM
sparky 25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What battery checker did you buy?
Old 12-29-2012, 05:09 AM
HerrSavage

http://modellbau-guru.eshop.t-online...-NiMh-NiCd-NEU
Old 12-29-2012, 05:50 AM
HerrSavage

I think I'm going to order the following batteries from hobbyking:

1.) Zippy Flightmax 5S 45C 4500

Spec.
Capacity: 4500mAh
Voltage: 5S1P / 5 Cell / 18.5V
Discharge: 45C Constant / 55C Burst
Weight: 653g (including wire, plug & case)
Dimensions: 145x52x42mm
Balance Plug: JST-XH
Discharge Plug: 5.5mm Bullet Connector

2.) Turnigy 6S 40C 4000

Spec.
Minimum Capacity: 4000mAh
Configuration: 6S1P / 22.2v / 6Cell
Constant Discharge: 40C
Peak Discharge (10sec): 50C
Pack Weight: 694g
Pack Size: 149 x 50 x 43mm
Charge Plug: JST-XH
Discharge plug: 5.5mm Bullet-connector

QUESTIONS:

1.) What else do I need to order with them? Preferably Deans adaptors.
2.) Will they fit? The Turnigy is 149mm long. Not sure how much space you can gain by dremeling away that little bit on the bottom of the tray...
Old 12-29-2012, 11:50 AM
turok007

does any one have any thoughts on what lipos i should go for. 2x 2s packs or a 4s or even a 5s pack i wont be doing crazy speeds. and what minimum MAH
Old 12-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Haddi Taha

hersavage
1. I think you should get deans soldered on instead of using adaptors, less resistance and heat for the plugs
2. I think you will need to hack up the back of your battery compartment to get those to fit. I can't seem to find any 5s or 6s that are of high mah/C rating but will fit the mt4 without too much cutting

turok
for a 2x 2s, I have these 
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18606__ZIPPY_Flightmax_5400mah_2S2P_50C_Hardcase _Car_Lipoly.html
What Motor and ESC are you using?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:49 AM
HerrSavage

Well, made the newest(und last, for a while..) orders:

1.) 14T RR pinion
2.) 100,000 wt. Tornado diff oil
3.) 5s Lipo:

Xcell LiPo Akku 18,5 Volt / 4200 mAh
(5S1P)
Lithium Polymer
35 C Entladerate
Anschluss: T-Connect (Dean's)
Balancer-Anschluss: EHR
Maße ohne Kabel ca. LBH:
137/44/47 mm
Gewicht: ca. 560 gr.

€72 shipped.

Gonna' order a backup spur gear or two, and the alu center diff topplate, and THAT's IT...
Old 12-30-2012, 06:58 AM
HerrSavage

The things in a village that can trip you up...

Old 12-30-2012, 07:05 AM
turok007

HerrSavage you were lucky that it was dry. lol
Old 12-30-2012, 07:07 AM
turok007

hersavage
1. I think you should get deans soldered on instead of using adaptors, less resistance and heat for the plugs
2. I think you will need to hack up the back of your battery compartment to get those to fit. I can't seem to find any 5s or 6s that are of high mah/C rating but will fit the mt4 without too much cutting

turok
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18606__ZIPPY_Flightmax_5400mah_2S2P_50C_Hardcase _Car_Lipoly.html

i will be using the stock setup.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:10 AM
supertib

The things in a village that can trip you up...

Das Poop !
Old 12-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: turok007

hersavage
turok

i will be using the stock setup.
I would go with something that can handle 150a minimum to be safe, like a 5000mah 30C

4s will get your around 35-40mph, which is plenty fun if you ask me, but it really depends on what YOU what and how much maintainence you mind doing. 6s is hard on parts

Old 12-31-2012, 10:09 AM
HerrSavage

Crazy.. Just went downstairs to run up and down the road since, being New Year's Eve, everything is in a state of chaos anyway.. Plugged in the bat, turned everything on, hit the throttle, and............................................... ......... wwwwhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..

"Great, something's fxxxed..." I thought. Nope.. Took the bod and cage off, and saw there was no pinion!! Ran yesterday flawlessly, turned it off, threw it in the car.. Anyway, looked around the sidewalk for it for about ten minutes. Came back inside, looked around in the truck, didn't see anything, then held it upside down and shook it. Out plopped the pinion. Threadlock is drying on a well-screwed in grub screw now.. [>:]

(ps Checked it before running a week ago- seemed fine.. Oh well... Should have checked again...)
Old 12-31-2012, 12:08 PM
Haddi Taha

Crazy.. Just went downstairs to run up and down the road since, being New Year's Eve, everything is in a state of chaos anyway.. Plugged in the bat, turned everything on, hit the throttle, and............................................... ......... wwwwhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..

"Great, something's fxxxed..." I thought. Nope.. Took the bod and cage off, and saw there was no pinion!! Ran yesterday flawlessly, turned it off, threw it in the car.. Anyway, looked around the sidewalk for it for about ten minutes. Came back inside, looked around in the truck, didn't see anything, then held it upside down and shook it. Out plopped the pinion. Threadlock is drying on a well-screwed in grub screw now.. [>:]

(ps Checked it before running a week ago- seemed fine.. Oh well... Should have checked again...)
hahaha that sucks, that happened to me once with the stock pinion, I though it flew out of the truck but the plastic cage held it in, I applied threadlock and it was good after that. I now have a robinison racing hardened steel pinion which is awesome but I stripped the grub screw hex while tightening it, I am not looking forward to the day it strips or must be changed............Alot of dremel, frustration and pain then it will be over, and its pretty tough steel.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:17 PM
HerrSavage

My RR 14T pinion arrived yesterday. What can U expect going from 12 to 14, everything else being equal(in this case, 4s)??
Old 12-31-2012, 02:27 PM
sparky 25

Probably a lot more top end,

Being brushless I can't see it lowering the low end power any,

For every 1 tooth you go up on the pinion, it has the same effect as a 3 tooth change on the spurgear,

So I think you should see more top speed going up 2 teeth.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:54 PM
Haddi Taha

My RR 14T pinion arrived yesterday. What can U expect going from 12 to 14, everything else being equal(in this case, 4s)??
about 15% more top end speed

The MT4 is discontinued again by Thunder Tiger for the 2nd time, and should be re-released in Feburary with a new part number, I hope they make it better cause it's getting annoying

Old 01-01-2013, 12:10 AM
HerrSavage

Apparently it's just a new radio - again..

They really should coordinate these things better. But they probably don't have anybody to do it.. Maybe that's why they're so affordable ha ha.. Traxxas would have a celebrity announcement...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.