Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tuning 5.9 HELP, longish description, desperate!

Long story short I can't seem to find a tune for the 5.9 XL. Idid the break in, tried to run it around and it'd stall soon as Itouched the throttle, spent some mindless time trying to figure it out, (didn't bother to read up on it) got it half way and putted around for 1 1/2 tanks. wasn't working out, finally did the smart thing and read up on it. reset to factory, started to tune.
    Had to start with the LSN, as Icoudn't touch the throttle without it stalling. Even when using the throttle trim it would high idle real choped up and then end up stalling. Igot the LSN leaned out and it would run 1/4 throttle, started with the HSN, slowly over 2-3 1/2 more tanks of fuel Ifinally found a tune that slighly worked, leaned out LSN, took the HSN to very rich and slowly brought it back in. It got to a point it ran the best it had but slighly lean, started to richen it up a bit, did alright. Iwas happy with it, took it out about an hr later, started right up, touched throttle and stalled right back out again.
    Been messing with the jetting on and off, keep getting a lot of fuel blowing from pipe while at an idle, lean out the LSN, and then it'll bog and stall at 1/2 3/4 throttle.
    (may be important, may not. If you punch throttle from idle it will rocket off, then after 2-3sec it'll bog. Let off throttle it'll idle, less than 1/2 throttle it'll putt around).
    I can't figure out what I'm missing, I've seen these 5.9 big blocks rip, wheelie, etc. etc. Yet I'm not even able to get out of first gear. I've run 1/2 gal of fuel, spent over 5 hours trying to get a semi, normal, able to run tune. Any help as to what I'm missing would be great..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Tuning 5.9 HELP, longish description, desperate!

I would goback and seal the engine. Bring everything back to factory spec's and start tuning over. It will probably fix your problems. if not will at least rule out a air leak.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Zrock

I would goback and seal the engine. Bring everything back to factory spec's and start tuning over. It will probably fix your problems. if not will at least rule out a air leak.
    Thanks, I double checked everything and did find the carb to be loose. Itightened it up. Istarted tuning again.
    It now will run around a little better.
    Here is my problem, it'll get into second gear and when Istart to try an let it open up to get into third, it'll bog back down.
    Temp is running just a touch high 240F. I've tried to Richen the high speed to allow more fuel hoping it wont bog out.
    Doesn't seem to be working. Any advice on this next step would be great. I've tuned a lot of carbs in my day. No RC but the ideals seem to be general.
    Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Really sounds like an unsealed engine. Engines with good compression will almost always hold a good tune. When it stalls out is it hard to pull start, like fuel is blocking the chamber unable to compress ? LSN could be a bit rich. Is it burning lots of BluE SmokE when running ?
    It could just be a blackened glow plug.
    They tend to go grey if there run lean and black n sooty if run rich, either way for tuning you should have a good clean new glow plug.You could also find that different glow plugs can be the difference, there are cold,warm, and hot glow plugs available ! Try a few out.
    I hate 20%nitro fuel, can be a sheeit to tune in cold weather, I find 25% or 30% nitro to be far better at tuning, better power and just as good lube.
    I also found my engines run cooler on 25% over 20 %.
    Tuning on dense coolatmospheric days is always best.
    good luck

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

seal the engine... takes about a hour and then let everything set up over night.. cost is about $5 for a tube if silicone...