Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

My first experience Off-Road with CEN ATX

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

My first experience Off-Road with CEN ATX

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 06:20 AM
normanski

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My first experience Off-Road with CEN ATX

Hello People,

At last, I found a building Site near where I live. Waited unit they finished work last Saturday, and started my CEN FunFactor ATX.

I still have no luck with getting the MT2 Clutch Bell & bigger Tires, so I just ran the ATX as stock. The ATX is blindingly fast, and I managed to get the 2nd gear to switch. The off-road ability was very good. But with smaller tires, the purple chassis got quite badly scratched because of lower ground clearance. I really need some big MT tires.

Now list of problems:

1. The engine was hard to start and stay idle. I was using Sidewinder with 20% Nitro & 12% Lub oil. The engine died the moment I removed the glow plug heater. I had to really open the air-intake in order for it to stay idle. Also, I am running with the HSN at 1.5 turns. I think the engine was running hot, too. I have not replaced the original glow plug but will very soon. Is the O.S. No.8 OK for the CEN Stock Engine head?

2. Small Rocks got between the pinion & Spur. It Jammed big time & now the 2-speed spur gears are in quite bad state. I can't get CEN parts here in Hong Kong because they are no CEN agent here. I wonder if any of the Kyosho part will work?

3. I took the engine apart after having so much problems. The only thing seems wrong is the idle setting screw which seems to be binding the sides of slot. That makes the idle setting very unpredictable. Of course I stripped the head of the screw which held the clutch bell to the engine!

My questions to all the CEN expert are these:

Is the O.S. No.8 OK for the CEN Stock Engine head? It seems a bit too short!

I see CEN Racing actually offers Kyosho 2-speed parts on their web-site. Does it mean that I can use Kyosho Spur gears which is readily available in HK?

How big is the cab-gap for correct idling?

Please help. Thank you.

Normanski
Old 09-22-2003, 08:03 AM
Aterlatus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My first experience Off-Road with CEN ATX

Can't help you with the others, but on my CEN TR4 w/ .16 engine, the gap should be 1-1.5mm for correct idling

If you find the car is trying to pull away when the idle's set as such, it could be clutch problems - spoken from experience
Old 09-22-2003, 09:07 AM
normanski

Hello Aterlatus,

Thank you for the information. My ATX also has a .16 engine but I had to open the gap a lot more in order for it to not die out. How many turns are you running your High Speed Needle? What about your Low Speed Needle?

I am tempted to try adjusting the Low Speed Needle...By the way, I am running my HSN at 1.5 turns.

Normanski
Old 09-22-2003, 10:31 AM
Smokinjoe6450
My Feedback: (6)

Have you broken the engine in good? My MT2 would stall as soon as I took off the glow heater but now that it is broken in, it starts easy and stays started all the time. I was worried in the beginning but now there are no problems.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:41 AM
flatlander_14

the low speed needle has a huge impact on idle characteristics from what i have found. i dont use a cen engine, but i think it would apply to most others.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:06 AM
Aterlatus

CEN recommend that you don't change the LSN setting. It should be flush with the carb body.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:11 AM
normanski

Hello All,

I have over 12 tanks through the engine by now. May be it will be a lot better next time I take the truck out. So SmokinJoe6450, did you have to do anything to the stock setting of the LSN?

Normanski
Old 09-22-2003, 12:19 PM
Smokinjoe6450
My Feedback: (6)

I havent touched it....the only thing I have adjusted is leaning it out. Are you still on the original glow plug? I changed mine after break-in. It still worked but it would cut off like you said. With the new plug it starts and runs like a champ.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:39 PM
normanski

Hello Smokinjoe6450,

What glow plug are you using? I bought some O.S.No.8 but found them to be a little shorter than the original!

Normanski