Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

In search of bulletproof TMaxx tranny gears...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

In search of bulletproof TMaxx tranny gears...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 11:43 AM
OffroadSteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In search of bulletproof TMaxx tranny gears...

hey all, new to the forum here.
a little about my rc cars, I got a 2.5 TMaxx and 2.5 4 Tec. Both stock performance wise for now, I'm getting quite a collection of RPM parts though.
My problem started about 2 weeks ago, I got my Maxx running pretty good, but now i keep breaking tranny gears. The only thing i've done to it is the spring pen diff mod. I busted 3 forward/reverse primaries in 3 days. I ordered RRP aluminum forward/reverse gear set. Put it in yesterday and worked good. Until I blew out the forward output gear. I see that I can get a forward output gear from RRP, but what would break next? It seems that everytime i replace a busted gear with a stronger one the problem moves somewhere else. Does anyone make EVERY gear in the tranny out of metal? what do you guys with BB motors or twin engines do? It seems like forward only steel gear is my only option.
I just don't understand why i keep blowing out these gears. I've heard of people running spools, .21 motors on stock tranny gears without blowing them out. Any ideas?
also, what do you think would happen if i ran ran a spool in the front? on dirt of course, not racing, strictly bashing.
last question, whats the advantage of having an aftermarket slipper? I'm not really sure what the slipper does. Can someone help me out here?

Thanks
steve
Old 09-23-2003, 02:37 PM
Dlock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: In search of bulletproof TMaxx tranny gears...

The fact that you don't really know what a slipper does, probably explains why you are breaking tranny gears....

The slipper is designed to slip. It is designed to give a little when there is a sudden jolt to the drive train. for example, when you go off a jump, if you land with say 1/2 throttle, the slipper will slip when the wheels hit the ground. The reason for this is so there is not a sudden jolt to the tranny causing gears to break and such.

The stock slipper is sufficient for bashing. Just make sure it's loose enough to do it's job. Tighten the nut all the way down until it's snug, and then back it off 1/4 of a turn. I would suggest trying this to see if you break any more tranny gears, before you buy to many more parts. Give it a shot....l.