Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Angry Redcat Earthquake 3.5

I wrote redcat a long note earlier today after I stripped the spur gear on a brand new earthquake 3.5 on my third tank of the break in... I am waiting to see what they have to say.

In the meantime, I have done a little research, here, other forums, all over the place and I have to say, it seems pretty common place that people are stripping these gears fairly quickly after getting the truck out of the box.

I have an HPI Savage X SS (kit) that I have been running like mad for the last month or so, and have had absolutely no issues with that truck. This one, as I said, I haven't even completed the break in process, let alone gotten the truck up to full throttle, and already the spur gear is stripped.

With so many complaints about this, just from what I've seen in a few hours today, it makes me really question the quality of the merchandise they are selling. I see no reason for this to happen, other than poor quality plastics or craftsmanship. I checked the gear spacing before firing it up the first time, and it was, at least from what I could tell, aligned well, with just a slight bit of play.

This is my 5th nitro truck so far, and I am really worried that I have wasted my money on this one, and would like some opinions. What are the main causes for stripping spur gears - why does it happen so fast on these trucks? Is the rest of this truck as unreliable as the main gear? So many complaints found, and no real explanations. So yeah, I'm curious what you guys think.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax2 View Post
    I wrote redcat a long note earlier today after I stripped the spur gear on a brand new earthquake 3.5 on my third tank of the break in... I am waiting to see what they have to say.

In the meantime, I have done a little research, here, other forums, all over the place and I have to say, it seems pretty common place that people are stripping these gears fairly quickly after getting the truck out of the box.

I have an HPI Savage X SS (kit) that I have been running like mad for the last month or so, and have had absolutely no issues with that truck. This one, as I said, I haven't even completed the break in process, let alone gotten the truck up to full throttle, and already the spur gear is stripped.

With so many complaints about this, just from what I've seen in a few hours today, it makes me really question the quality of the merchandise they are selling. I see no reason for this to happen, other than poor quality plastics or craftsmanship. I checked the gear spacing before firing it up the first time, and it was, at least from what I could tell, aligned well, with just a slight bit of play.

This is my 5th nitro truck so far, and I am really worried that I have wasted my money on this one, and would like some opinions. What are the main causes for stripping spur gears - why does it happen so fast on these trucks? Is the rest of this truck as unreliable as the main gear? So many complaints found, and no real explanations. So yeah, I'm curious what you guys think.

Well I myself Bought a RedCat Volcano s30 1/10. I was on my 3rd Tank into the Break-In Process and the CrankShaft Twisted itself off. Yes Twisted itself off. the Same day I got it. it broke. The Crankshaft must have had a defect or a crack in it previously cause there is nothing i could have done to make that break. I just took that engine out. Slapped an old 3.0 i had "Works Great" set the Gear Mesh and kept on going. I got ahold of RedCat. Gotta mail the Engine Back and get it replaced. "still Under Warranty"