RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Castle cap pack blew up...

Old 03-15-2015, 08:18 PM
Panzerdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castle cap pack blew up...

I would like to hear about possible culprits. Take a look at the photos:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...72252376710993

Here is the story. I have had a nitro revo sitting around that I planned on converting to brushless years ago. I ended up buying the first gen Mamba Monster back then too (literally when they were first released). Fast forward like 6 years and I finally get around to getting the conversion done. I used the Castle connectors and decided to try to take as much stress off the esc as possible so I also got the cap pack and Castle BEC. I soldered everything tonight and hooked up a 2s lipo and the esc fired right up normally.

i then wired up two new 2s packs and connected them using a Castle factory made parallel wiring harness. When I connected them to the esc, I heard a pop, saw a plume of smoke and got an ammonia like smell. One of the cap pack capacitors definitely blew.

the two new packs work just fine on another rc car I have when attached individually to the car's esc, so they are not the problem. Also, I do not see any shorts circuits (and remember the Mamba Monster worked fine with a single 2s pack).

any ideas on the cause? I was planning on using the same wiring setup on a gen 2 mamba monster, but am obviously a little weary now. Is it worth sending this esc back to Castle?

Last edited by Panzerdude; 03-15-2015 at 08:27 PM.