Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Redcat Volcano EPX (non-pro version) using a Lipo battery?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Redcat Volcano EPX (non-pro version) using a Lipo battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 03:36 PM
Azr43l

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat Volcano EPX (non-pro version) using a Lipo battery?

I just picked up a standard Volcano truck (brushed) from Amazon for my son as his first RC car. I wanted to get him an upgraded battery that would last longer and recharge quicker, so I picked up a Venom 20C 2S 5000mAh 7.4v battery and the Tenergy charger that does Lipos as well as NiMH. It looks like Redcat is selling these trucks with improved components as time passes. My motor has a large heat sink on it as does the controller. The controller also has a tag on it that says "Only use 7.2V NiMH or 7.4V 2S Lipo batteries". Is it safe to assume this controller has the low voltage cut-off and I shouldn't have any issues with killing the battery as well as not having overheating problems?

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:54 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Redcat's website currently lists model #wp-1040 as the esc that comes with the brushed Volcano. If you look up that esc the description says it has a lipo cutoff and can run 2s max. Check the sticker on the side of the esc to make sure that's the esc you have.

As far as heat goes, with stock gearing you should be ok. But the increased voltage under load and greater amp capacity of lipo can hear things up a little compared to NiMh. It doesn't hurt to check temps anytime you make a gearing, motor or drastic battery change like going to lipo from NiMh just to be safe

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 03-18-2015 at 05:58 PM.