Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Questions about the AE Rival

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 02:21 PM
Talky McNeighborson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about the AE Rival

Hello, after being on ~5 year or so hiatus I've jumped back into the hobby and ordered a new Rival My from Tower Hobbies. One major question I have is that I domt know if it shares parts with the MGT 4.6 or 8.0 . Id like to order a roll cage for it, but there is no version made actually for the rival. Which MGT version would use compatible parts?

Edit:

Also, which LiPo batteries should I use to replace the factory NiMH?

Last edited by Talky McNeighborson; 06-19-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:38 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Rival has a 1 inch longer wheelbase than the MGT so a MGT roll age is not going to fit the Rival. many cages tie into the shock towers which are 1 inch further apart so this isn't possible. The chassis is also completely different between the Rival and MGT making any chassis mounted cage hard to mount if at all.

As for lipos, you need 4s for the Rival in the form of a pair of 2s packs so that's decided for you. You should look for a lipo with at least a 30c rating and I do t think it's worth getting a lipo with less than 5000mah. This will commonly appear as 2s 5000mah 30c on lipo packs and in the descriptions. Brands, everyone has their opinions which are hopefully based on the use of multiple packs and from different manufacturers. I personally like (in no particular order) Gens Ace, Turnigy, Hyperion, Polyquest and would buy them again. Other food options include Neu, Thunderpower, SMC, SPC. On my poop list is Venom and Maxamps, both overpriced as well. Be sure to check the size of your battery trays and the size of the lipo packs you're considering to make sure they fit.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:04 PM
Talky McNeighborson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, okay thanks for the expert info.