Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Please help me identify my nitro monster truck

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Please help me identify my nitro monster truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 12:49 PM
Rand0lf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me identify my nitro monster truck

Hi all, im new to the hobby and after reading countless pages to self educate myself I took the plunge and bought a few second hand nitro cars for a really good price. The trouble I have is I can't be sure of one of the models I have. It has CENRacing.com on the exhaust and has CEN NT-16 on the engine. I have a suspicion its a fun factor but I'm not sure. Could someone with more knowledge than myself help me out please? I would put a picture up but I don't now how to, maybe someone could help with that too.
Many thanks for your time.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:40 PM
The Saylors

Defiantly get pics up! Someone (probably rusty) will be able to help you immediately. The insert picture button is the 3rd from the right on the tool bar in the quick reply area at the bottom of the thread. Just save the image to an easy to access/find folder on your desktop, hit the button and select the pic you want to upload. After that its pretty easy! Hope this help and good luck on the truck!! And welcome to, not only the forum, but the addiction as well!

Last edited by The Saylors; 05-23-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:59 PM
Rand0lf

Thank you for the welcome and the heads up regarding pictures, I would never have found that!! So here are a few pictures, there is a "shield" so to speak that sits ontop the spur gears which i removed to investigate the reason behind the brake not working, it independently spins round and has lost its inner shape which I assume has caused the failure. Anyway any help identifying it and any general advice is most welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	14640405489131496085341.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	2163961   Click image for larger version

Name:	1464040615732-111877096.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	2163962   Click image for larger version

Name:	14640407183841281404440.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	2163963  
Old 05-23-2016, 02:03 PM
The Saylors

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=705

BAM! there is your truck!
Old 05-23-2016, 02:04 PM
The Saylors

I unfortunately have never seen one of these in person so i have no first hand knowledge on this particular truck. Have you been able to start it? Nitro's are mostly the same so run ability should be a fixable issue if that's what you're dealing with.

P.s. that link i sent you seems to be a slightly updated version but on close examination it seems that you are missing the chassis brace making it look a tiny bit different.

Last edited by The Saylors; 05-23-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:06 PM
Rand0lf

Wow, that was quick.......,thank you!! A Magnum hey? Plenty of reading there for me to get stuck into.
I've had it running a couple times with no real issues, the brake failed on its last run, it seems to run a tad hot but I've got a temperature probe in the post just to double check. I love the ride, the rear wheels appear to be at a bit of an odd angle though.

Last edited by Rand0lf; 05-23-2016 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Answered a question
Old 05-23-2016, 02:24 PM
The Saylors

Of course! I happened to be bored at work lol. Ya the rear wheels seem to be toed out rather than toed in. Pretty easy to adjust. Rears should be pointed inward slightly and the front outward slightly. The front on yours seems ok though. Temp probe or thermal gun are a must to me. I prefer the gun so i can check temps on my electrics as well after a fresh build to make sure i don't hurt anything. Cant beat 18 bucks!
Old 05-24-2016, 12:34 PM
Rand0lf

Thanks for all your help yesterday Saylors, things are so much easier now I know what I'm dealing with. Started the tear down and clean up today. Do you know if the parts are interchangeable with other CEN models? They all look very similar. Also do you or anyone recommend any improvements I can do to the truck? I vaguely remember reading about a CEN diff mod ages ago, could i do that on mine?
Old 05-24-2016, 01:22 PM
The Saylors

Of course i'm always happy to help! Its very possible that parts are interchangeable as a lot of company's had one or two chassis and a few varients of those chassis back then leading to them having some shared parts. For that particular truck though i'm not sure of since i haven't had one before. Here is the site that CEN has but its very dated so i don't know how reliable it is. Seems like that truck is around 10 years old so you're at the end of most car's part production cycle meaning that unless its a very popular model then parts can be hard to find.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:23 PM
The Saylors

Is there any part in particular that you need?
Old 05-24-2016, 01:52 PM
Rand0lf

Not really as it does run, I was however thinking of upgrading to metal spur gears, both body mounts are shot and I need a couple of bumpers and a body. None is essential, but,would be nice to have. Bits seem to be fairly common on Fleabay.
The reason for my first post is I've seen a CEN Fun Factor for sale locally to me, its a none runner but would be ideal for spares IF its compatible.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:05 PM
The Saylors

As far as spurs go as long as its a standard size you should be able to find something. Just measure it and count the teeth. Pitch is important but i don't know how to check it. it's likely a 48 pitch. ebay is prolly gunna be your best friend lol
Old 05-24-2016, 02:24 PM
Rand0lf

I think your right, I've been on there searching for all things CEN all day!! lol
Old 05-24-2016, 02:41 PM
The Saylors

Ya its a good way to go for "vintage stuff". Its also nice that they do buyer protection these days so it's less of a gamble.