Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Rustler Vs. Stampede 4x4. Jumping

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Rustler Vs. Stampede 4x4. Jumping

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 05:35 PM
Four Twin Tee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rustler Vs. Stampede 4x4. Jumping

I was about to order a pede 4x4 untill I had second thoughts on the rustler. Google couldn't find me the answers I was looking for.

Assuming they are both on pede sized 2.8 tires, no gyro, and brushless, what would jump better? A rustler with its low center of gravity or a stampede with 4x4, probably more air control?

Thanks, Ian
Old 10-02-2016, 10:12 PM
Mechanicaloverlord

The pede 4x4 is going to offer more mid air control due to the 4wd. As far as how they come off the ramp, that depends on the ramp, the spring rates and dampening of the vehicle and the speed it hits the ramp. Out of the box, on the same ramp, they may both come off the ramp the same way but at different speeds. One may launch best at 20mph while the other at 25mph, it all depends on the shock package and the ramp. With either you're going to at least need to change the shock oil, get aluminum shock caps and possibly springs to both launch and land best.

If jumping is all you care about get the pede4x4. More mid air control, more weight to carry more momentum and more expensive stuff to break when you crash land. Have fun

Last edited by Mechanicaloverlord; 10-02-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:37 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechanicaloverlord
The pede 4x4 is going to offer more mid air control due to the 4wd. As far as how they come off the ramp, that depends on the ramp, the spring rates and dampening of the vehicle and the speed it hits the ramp. Out of the box, on the same ramp, they may both come off the ramp the same way but at different speeds. One may launch best at 20mph while the other at 25mph, it all depends on the shock package and the ramp. With either you're going to at least need to change the shock oil, get aluminum shock caps and possibly springs to both launch and land best. If jumping is all you care about get the pede4x4. More mid air control, more weight to carry more momentum and more expensive stuff to break when you crash land. Have fun
Hehe. I love the last line. I couldn't have said it better.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:02 PM
Four Twin Tee

The pede 4x4 is going to offer more mid air control due to the 4wd. As far as how they come off the ramp, that depends on the ramp, the spring rates and dampening of the vehicle and the speed it hits the ramp. Out of the box, on the same ramp, they may both come off the ramp the same way but at different speeds. One may launch best at 20mph while the other at 25mph, it all depends on the shock package and the ramp. With either you're going to at least need to change the shock oil, get aluminum shock caps and possibly springs to both launch and land best.

If jumping is all you care about get the pede4x4. More mid air control, more weight to carry more momentum and more expensive stuff to break when you crash land. Have fun
Thanks for the reply, I was becoming sure on the rustler, now im back to flip flopping. Haha.

Yeah im doing aluminum shock caps and caster blocks right out of the box, seems like a universal traxxas weak piont

Ive been looking at videos and it seems the 4x4 pede almost has too much air control, and although double front flips might be cool, a rustler can still swing a back flip, and as you said the 4x4 has more driveline parts to break.

Im coming from a bmx background so I have a good understanding of ramp physics.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:54 AM
Mechanicaloverlord

Originally Posted by Four Twin Tee
Ive been looking at videos and it seems the 4x4 pede almost has too much air control, and although double front flips might be cool, a rustler can still swing a back flip, and as you said the 4x4 has more driveline parts to break.

Im coming from a bmx background so I have a good understanding of ramp physics.
Yeah but now you're adding suspension into the mix for another variable. Whether the suspension is loaded loaded or unloaded, or has a chance to unload on the ramp or not all factors into the flight attitude. Then of course there's throttle position when it launches. Some vehicle/ramp combos like a little throttle coming off the ramp then release, others no throttle, some stab the brake.

I wouldnt worry about having having too much mid air control. The videos you're watching may have abrupt inputs, the vehicle may be launching weird, etc. From personal experience I can say that even something with lots of mid air control is easy to control. Launch it right and you won't be making any corrections.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:55 AM
Mechanicaloverlord

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Hehe. I love the last line. I couldn't have said it better.
I couldn't resist that last line. It's kind of funny but also very true
Old 10-06-2016, 06:38 AM
Four Twin Tee

I couldn't resist that last line. It's kind of funny but also very true
It is, it's why im going 1/10 and not 1/8. It's also why im going with traxxas, parts are a dime a dozen.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:26 PM
Mechanicaloverlord

Actually 1/8 buggies and truggies are about the toughest vehicles there are. Nothing is indestructible though.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:53 PM
Four Twin Tee

Actually 1/8 buggies and truggies are about the toughest vehicles there are. Nothing is indestructible though.
Hmm thats not the the complete message I thought I posted. This site is not fully Android compatible.

Parts break whenever the limits are pushed, racing, speed runs, jumps. Its when rc is the most fun, it's worth it. Unless the platform is just flawwed, and parts break becase the vehicle is poorly engineered(original maxx) In that case parts are the worst.

I have a 3.3 revo with only a few tanks through it, its been sitting a few years and the engine is no good. I was going to convert it to a e revo bl4s. use it for jumping but I thought it would be too heavy. Traxxas has temporarily held world records for longest jump with 6s e revo though, its probably just laziness that draws me to stampede 4x4 over a conversion project, and half the lipo spending. Think I should revamp the revo?

The only eighth buggies in my budget are the arrma rtr and the base model associated, never really considered either much. Your input is helpful.

Edit: the arrma buggy jumps far and straight but the chassis gets all bent up, no good. Im between the 4s revo conversion or a brushless pede 4x4.

Last edited by Four Twin Tee; 10-09-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:43 PM
Mechanicaloverlord

Well I'm a 1/8 fanboy for the power to slide, could care less about jumps that aren't more race oriented. The closest I've gotten to a pede4x4 is a Slash 4x4 and that was too long ago to offer my opinions on. 4s isn't enough for me, gotta be at least 5s. You're probably better sticking with a Traxxas, you'd need one of the higher end buggy/truggy to get a chassis that can take some real abuse without bending.

How many people have really gone gone through the trouble of measuring the exact distance of their RC jumps? 1/8 buggy/truggy fly way better than a Revo and could undoubtably beat its distance. Traxxas were the ones footing the bill so they get the glory, this time.