Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Choosing a brushless motor for redcat volcano epx

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Choosing a brushless motor for redcat volcano epx

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 10:53 PM
Tdedwar2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing a brushless motor for redcat volcano epx

So I am fairly new to the electric rc world and have a quick question about brushless motor and esc combos. I own a 1/10 scale redcat volcano exp brushed and want to upgrade the motor and esc to brushless. I use this truck to bash in my back yard with my son and would like a little more speed out of my 2s lipos and the option for 3s.

So what brand as well as kv rating would you recommend that would direct fit into my truck. I would like something waterproof not too worried about price but want something efficient (no heat issues). Thanks for any help!
Old 01-01-2018, 05:40 PM
Tdedwar2

Ok some people have looked at this but can anyone help me out?
Old 01-02-2018, 02:50 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Check out a Hobbywing WP 60A QUICRUN-WP-10BL60 for an ESC. For a motor going in a 4wd monster truck, I'd recommend a 550/3656 size motor, somewhere between 3300~3800Kv.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:36 AM
Tdedwar2

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Check out a Hobbywing WP 60A QUICRUN-WP-10BL60 for an ESC. For a motor going in a 4wd monster truck, I'd recommend a 550/3656 size motor, somewhere between 3300~3800Kv.
Thank you RustyUs for taking the time to help me. Will my stock pinion and spur gearing work for this high of a kv or do I need to re-gear for temps?
Old 01-02-2018, 05:15 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

When "hopping up" to a motor with higher RPMs, gearing down is generally done to compensate a little bit. How much? That depends on how big of a difference there is in the motors. I'd look at the brushless version of the Volcano to get a general idea of gearing.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:09 PM
Igottabeme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just like anything look on youtube (best for ideas to me for suggestions plus have video) for ideas and examples of brushless motors for the volacano (just search brushless volcano). That being said the stock pro version comes with I believe a 3650 3300kv motor. That motor is plenty fast enough for bashing with the volcano. The volcano is not a good basher brushless though too fast for the parts it has. Be prepared for bent driveshafts, bent front shocks, broke front suspension arms, broke axles just to name a few believe me because I have been there done that. All of these parts can upgraded be upgraded though but I guess it depends on your budget or how much you want to spend to make it more reliable. Overall the plastics on the volacano are pretty weak (In my opinion). I own a volcano that was brushed and burned out a motor while backyard bashing (2s Lipo). Taking parts off of it to upgrade other parts I frequently found stripped plastic screw holes. I could go on and on (probably already have). I have a 3650 3300kv Hobby Fans motor in mine with 45a generic esc (came with a F540 4370kv motor) 21t 0.6 mod steel pinion and its plenty fast (alot more than brushed) but the motor does cog a little at start. In the end to each his own on the volcano.

Last edited by Igottabeme; 01-06-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:16 PM
Igottabeme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The faster you go the faster you empty your wallet"
"Higher speed comes with higher repair bills"

Last edited by Igottabeme; 01-06-2018 at 05:24 PM.