Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

CEN mt2 shock interchange

Old 10-16-2003, 06:30 PM
auto2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEN mt2 shock interchange

The stock shocks are not making me happy.
I see CEN sells an aluminum "hop up" shock.
But first is there any other buggy /truck that has the same shock length and style?
Does anyone already have the aluminum ones form cen?

And what is the stock shock oil, and spring tension? And what do you recommend for racing around a track just having fun?
Old 10-16-2003, 08:49 PM
normanski

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: CEN mt2 shock interchange

Hello Auto2,

Did you get my PM? The shock springs on my ATX is very weak, so weak that the chassis touches the ground when I brake. I saw some GPM shocks that look nice but have not tried them. In any case, have you read the following:

http://www.wildhobbies.com/news/defa...&articleid=951

I have put 60 oil in the rear shocks & stronger springs in the front. But the ATX tires are too small to be any good off-road. I need some Big MT tires.

Normanski
Old 10-18-2003, 03:54 PM
auto2

Incase anyone is interested, I still have no idea what shock oil cen puts in but it must be like 100 weight.It doesn't even pore.
I put in 40 weight( all I had) and it is a huge difference. the suspension now "works"
still a long way to go but there is improvment.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:16 PM
normanski

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Auto,

How cold is New-York right now? Are you sure the oil is not thickening due to the temperature? The 60 oil I replaced out of the rear shocks were like water.

The Aluminium Shocks do have threaded body, which should give you more options to set up your shocks.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:31 PM
Wookie
My Feedback: (5)

The factory racers are using 80 weight oil in their shocks. I have 90 weight in the rear and 65 weight in the front, seems to work fairly well.

alternate shock options would basically be any shock that is 3.5" in length. The new RC10B4 shocks may fit the bill nicely. I know somebody on this board has used traxas big bore shocks for the T-Maxx on his CEN MT2 and the gave it a lot more ground clearance and travel, but looked like it made the truck a bit less stable.

You can also use regular Associated shocks and put some limiters on the inside of the shock to reduce travel to 3.5" (associated shocks are 4").

I noticed that with the stock shocks the oil seems to get thinner after you run the truck for a little while. What feels stiff just sitting on the bench, becomes less stiff after 5 minutes of running. I wonder if that's a product of friction in the shocks heating up the oil?
Old 10-18-2003, 07:48 PM
auto2

sure the hotter the oil gets the thinner.
It's about 50 degrees here and that would explain the thick sludge I got out of the shocks.
Guess I have to go buy an assortment of shock oil.LOL!

BTW I just read a review that stated the CEN would do weelies on the grass?
Not mine. I have about 3/4 gallon through it and I've never even looked at the clutch.
wonder if it's glased.

what piston do you have in the shocks?
the size and # of holes would make a huge difference in porpotion with the oil weight.
I still have whatever it came with stock.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:53 PM
Wookie
My Feedback: (5)

I have the stock pistons in my shocks.

The only MT2's that I've seen wheelie from a standstill are modified with stronger motors. Working on the clutch would help a little. If you added a stronger spring or cut a bit off of the end of the clutch shoes. This would cause the clutch to engage later and give better launch speeds.

Yea, the colder air will stiffen the shocks a lot. The MT2 is the only vehichle that I've had where the damping gets lighter after a few minutes. All of my other vehicles reamain fairly consistant even after some very hard running.