Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Anyone with a CEN Truck that wants more support.

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Anyone with a CEN Truck that wants more support.

Old 11-05-2003, 04:41 PM
mecky33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with a CEN Truck that wants more support.

Hey all, I just emailed Integy.com about support on the CEN funfactor platform. They told me that they have no immediate plans to make parts for funfactor because of the limited number out there. So, if you want Integy to pick up CEN as an aftermarket supporter email them at [email protected]. I think that if enough people email them, they might consider making parts for us.

Dan H.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:54 PM
Pkvillager

Default RE: Anyone with a CEN Truck that wants more support.

In stock form the truck lacks very little. CEN already offers upgrades too. New Era has hop ups and conversion kits. I would like to see a real rollcage made for it like the rc-solutions' Cyber maxx cage. I am getting a tmaxx cage for mine and customizing it to fit the MT2, the kind that just mounts between the tmaxx bumper and bumper mounts. I think between New Era and Cen there are only a few things missing like aluminum diff covers, aluminum wheel hubs, and aluminum servo mounts.

MT2s are one of the few trucks that are at the top of their game out of the box, it just is not a money-pit like some other trucks.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:07 AM
mecky33

Pk,

I know that my truck is a contender out of the box. but a roll cage, nice bumper, stronger shock towers, a second company that makes "A" arms (in both long and short form), and other odds and ends would be nice. I don't like to be stuck with only one option for parts. I would also like to see companies like proline and HPI pick up CEN in their mix for bodies. I have a T-Maxx on it right now, but that was a pain to mount in exactly the right spot so it looked right. Anyway, I am glad to see that you are not one of the people that swears by only T-Maxx or Savage.

Dan H.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:34 AM
Pkvillager

Good points Dan... No way could I be a tmaxx guy I had one and it sucked, it ran good and was fast but what a weak pos. Savages are awesome though.

By the way the mt2 is true 1/10th scale both proline and hpi make those bodies. I just dont know if they have all the same ones as the tmaxx ones like escalades and such.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:59 AM
Smokinjoe6450
My Feedback: (6)

the bodies that fit the Stampede fit onto the MT2 perfect. I just had one painted for me. You can also order an unpainted MT2 body from ehobbies.com

Don't you just love the MT2? I had it out the other day and it kept up with the 2.5 rustler. That guy was SHOCKED!! He was like no way that thing will keep up w/ this....it's too big. SUPRISE!!
Old 11-06-2003, 10:21 AM
mecky33

I do love my MT2, I have yet to get it fully tuned, since I have only had it a week and a half, and the guy I bought it from had seriously screwed up the tune on it. As far as the body goes, the T-Maxx bodies fit perfectly on the CEN, but there are no premarked holes for body pins, which makes it kind of hit or miss making sure the body gets on there right. Back to the truck though, I had a friend over that has a street car that was clocked at 49.8 MPH while he was just goofing off tell me that he couldn't beleive how fast it was even though I hadnt even tuned it. I can't wait to start running around when I get it fully tuned, and show people that the little company (CEN) makes a truck that is just as good, and just as capable as the 500 dollar truck that everyone swears by. I also think its funny, the Kid I bought this truck from, upgraded to a T-Maxx and said he had only run it a few time and it was already on the bench broken. His dad has a savage that has spent more time on the bench than on the ground, and his brothers T-Maxx was even worse off. Anyway, not that I am bad mouthing the other trucks, I just find it funny that those are the rigs that everyone touts as being the best. I am glad to see there are a few people out there that love their MT2

Dan H.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:22 AM
ThermalRD

ORIGINAL: mecky33

Hey all, I just emailed Integy.com about support on the CEN funfactor platform. They told me that they have no immediate plans to make parts for funfactor because of the limited number out there. So, if you want Integy to pick up CEN as an aftermarket supporter email them at [email protected]. I think that if enough people email them, they might consider making parts for us.

Dan H.

I think what you dont realize, is they are going by the numbers. They dont want to see e-mails requesting these parts, they want to see the kits actually selling. When that truck becomes more popular, and shares some spotlight in the magazines, then other companies will pick it up. Dont count on anything soon. I am really interested in the new CEN Genesis, but will probably never buy one. Just because of the lack of support out there. Most of these hopup companies, HCR, Integy, etc. reallly dont have the money to setup machines, and a design team to make parts that wont sell. They have to focus on the big numbers. Right now the Savage is probably the most wanted, the maxx is obviously the most popular, and the MGT already has companies producing for it. With Losi getting in on the MT arena, and all the trucks currently available, CEN has got a tough road ahead.

Matt
Old 11-06-2003, 12:23 PM
Pkvillager

I agree with you ThermalRD good thing the MT2 doesnt require upgrades like the tmaxx otherwise we would be hosed.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:51 PM
mecky33

Matt, You may want to take a closer look at all of the RC magazines, I know of at least two that did reviews on the MT2 and they had nothing but good things to say about them. I have also read many reviews online about the MT2 and again, nothing but good. The problem is, local hobby shops won't carry them, because of lack of aftermarket support, and all of the people that bad mouth them because of the price. I will admit, the transmitter that you get with it could use a realy good revamp, or an aftermarket controller. But beyond that, I have had no problems tuning or troubleshooting the engine, and this is my first nitro, and my first RC in almost 8 years. So, I am impressed and I am going to be running around talking about CEN until this rig seriously lets me down, and I can prove it was the truck and not me.

Dan H.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:02 PM
ThermalRD

ORIGINAL: mecky33

Matt, You may want to take a closer look at all of the RC magazines, I know of at least two that did reviews on the MT2 and they had nothing but good things to say about them. I have also read many reviews online about the MT2 and again, nothing but good. The problem is, local hobby shops won't carry them, because of lack of aftermarket support, and all of the people that bad mouth them because of the price. I will admit, the transmitter that you get with it could use a realy good revamp, or an aftermarket controller. But beyond that, I have had no problems tuning or troubleshooting the engine, and this is my first nitro, and my first RC in almost 8 years. So, I am impressed and I am going to be running around talking about CEN until this rig seriously lets me down, and I can prove it was the truck and not me.

Dan H.
Believe me man, i agree that CEN kits are under rated. I have thought that for a looong time. Hobby shops wont carry anything that wont sell. PERIOD! If anything gets CEN the attention it needs to become a contender, it will be the Genesis. I have read good things about the MT2 as well, but i have NEVER once read anything about it selling well. The Trans am, Z28, and firebird were all excellent cars. And they got discontinued. Why? Because they didnt sell. The MT2 has no future without an aftermarket. Im sorry to say it, but its true. And the same goes for any other truck that tries to jump into the wolf pack without a lineup of companies willing to support it. How often do you read a post on here wher some says "Man, i gotta have a CEN MT2"? or "MT2 or a Savage"? Probably never, not on any forum. The only kit i've heard threads like that, are about the CEN Genesis. It has sparked interest in the world of MT's. Its loaded with features, and claiming a competitive price. Im not knocking the MT2 at all, and im not in any way trying to start a flame war. I just look at the realistic side of things.

Matt
Old 11-06-2003, 06:27 PM
auto2

who needs a LHS. When I bought my mt2 I looked at it and bought about 50 bucks worth of the stuff I though I might need . dif cups, axles, extra nuts and bolts, other "little" stuff . THen after a few things did break I ordered another 50 or so worth of spares. Even with 100 dollers worth of spare parts I'm still cheaper than the compation, and I have everything I need in stock.

sunday i broke a dif cup ( my falt) and had it fixed and back running in 5 minutes.

so far my biggest problem is the steering slop and turning radius.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:29 PM
auto2

Oh and one other thing.
A LHS does not make any money on selling a RTR. They make money on the hop up parts and future part sales etc.
With CEN once you sell the truck what else is there to sell the costomer?
Old 11-07-2003, 10:13 AM
ThermalRD

ORIGINAL: auto2

Oh and one other thing.
A LHS does not make any money on selling a RTR. They make money on the hop up parts and future part sales etc.
With CEN once you sell the truck what else is there to sell the costomer?

You are kidding right? I know for a fact Hobby shops make money on their RTR kits. I bought a 2.5 maxx at cost for my son last year from a friends hobby shop. So i know they are making money. I got the kit well below what they sell for even today. With CEN, the problem they are having is SELLING the truck. To do this, they need hop ups. It makes no difference how good the truck is stock. Nobody wants to have the exact same thing as the next guy. They want to customize with the colored anodized parts, and build their trucks in a unique way. When i look into a new truck, i research the aftermarket first. You have to know that they have support, in case something on the truck is not quite up to par. So you can make it stronger. Not many people are gonna jump on that band wagon without support. Again, im not bashing, just stating some facts. Id love to see this truck with more support. Even more so, id love to see that Genesis!

Matt
Old 11-07-2003, 11:50 AM
Pkvillager

I think they have sold plenty of mt2s how else could they afford to keep running the company and do R&D on new kits? Plus they are hiring so biz must be good.

I think its funny though we have two extreemes here kits like the tmaxx require numerous hopups just to be enjoyed and kits like the mt2 that require no hopups to be enjoyed. Cen possibly made a mistake they built a truck that doesnt break too much unless it is slammed into a wall. The weakest link on a mt2 is the drive cups, I only broke a set when my truck slammed into a tree in a runaway. I now run a picco .26 in it and I havent broken one single part except for a clutch that just wore out. Another "weak link" is supposed to be the chassis flex, yes it is there but there is nothing wrong with it and it causes no problems whatsoever.

The truth is there are plenty of hop ups offered by Cen themselves and New Era. The only things not available are diferent colored parts and aluminum dif cases,servo mounts,wheel hubs and bodymounts. But there is nothing stoping anyone from getting their stuff powdercoated themselves.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:50 PM
mecky33

Pk, one thing that they need an upgrade for, and this I have noticed right after getting my truck, are stronger shock towers. The rear shock tower flexes really bad under full brake. If you have the brake set so that it doesnt flex that, then you don't slow down. So either a stronger tower, or better bracing would fix that problem, and ultimately make the brakes work better. Plus a little competition in the hop-up choices may help us out, by driving costs down. I understand that Cen has many hop-ups available, but most are cosmetics and engine performance. Don't get me wrong though, I love my Cen, and fully intend to tell everyone to look at Cen as a possibility for their next RC.

Dan H.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Pkvillager

That is the flex I was refering to. But thats all it does is flex nothing else, nothing breaks when it flexes, so why worry about it. Besides its not the shock towers that are flexing, it flexes because the diff case that also functions as bulkheads are plastic and because there is no brace between the brake seat and throttle servo mount. Make a aluminum diff case and 99% of the flex will be gone, add a brace between the brake seat and the throttle servo mount and flex should be eliminated.

I would say that Cen hop ups are more function oriented than cosmetic. The aluminum brake seat adds some strength, helps breaking and looks good. They have a whole range of clutch bells and spurs, machined aluminum gear hubs, metal brakes even titanium hinge pins and upgraded diffs too! New Era carries the complete .21 conversion, aluminum A-arms, roll bar that eliminates flex, a large front bumper, a wheelie bar, and aluminum wheels.

I like your idea about longer a-arms though a super-wide mt2 would be killer, send that info to New Era. If New Era played their cards right they could make a spuper mt2 with wider suspension, extended chassis and the .21 conversion and aluminum everything kinda like the supermaxx chassis!