Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

truggy thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 10:18 PM
R/C car guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truggy thread

what are everyone's thoughts on truggies?

if you don't know what a truggy is. it is a rc vehicle that is a cross between a monster truck and a 1/8 scale buggy. an example of a truggy would be the ofna dominater.

what are some pros and cons of truggies?

i am considering getting one. what are the good truggies?
Old 12-07-2003, 10:49 AM
ThermalRD

Default RE: truggy thread

I like the dominator alot, but if i were to do a truggy, i think i would go all out with one of the maxx conversions. Like the JT hybrid. The Dom is a great truck though. Im sure the mammoth guys will jump in here soon. Since its the fastest MT ever made at a whopping 50+ MPH....lol (sorry, just a little sarcasm there)

Matt
Old 12-07-2003, 12:08 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm really happy with my Dominator,
But If I were to get a new truggy right now I'd look real hard at the GS SUT
I recently saw this truck perform at a NORRCA race last month, it was awesome.
Also the drive train looks to be tougher with the 1/8 scale type diffs all around

Look here http://www.gsracing.com.tw/informati...iled.php?id=71
and here http://www.gsracing.com.tw/informati...iled.php?id=66

A truggy is basicly is a race hybrid, they have very low center of gravity so the perfom very well on a track

I had a maxx conversion, I just got sick of messing with the pull start, It allways failed. The truggies can use a starter box so starting is easy.

If you're a basher and you want ground clearnace, then a truggy is not for you, if you want to go fast on the track, it is.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:58 PM
studysession

I loved my Dominator and thought about getting the Dominator Extreme. It is all aluminum.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:12 PM
R/C car guy

study,

did you race or bash with your dominater?

i see that you said "loved". does this mean you don't have it anymore? why did you get rid of it?
Old 12-07-2003, 04:24 PM
studysession

I just broke it in - had lots of power and handled well. Then some bloke bought it from me.

I did not get enough time with it. Right after I bought it, got to talking to my wife and we decided to sell everything except 3 of the RC's. I still have to sell 2 more of what I had. Then i will order one more and then that will be it for a long time.

I have seen other Dom's at the track. These things are tanks. The crash and flip and cartwheel and flip them back up-right and away you go again, just like my 1/8 scale buggy. Very durable unlike my wife's TMaxx. It crashes it breaks then order new bits for it. Out until the new bits arrive and installed. The Dom's at the track can jump nicely as well. I would be willing to give up my buggy for a Dom anyday. But when I get another Dom it will be the Dominator Extreme.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:15 PM
R/C car guy

i see taht you compared it to 1/8 scale buggies and siad that doms are just as durable. if Dagass sees this i would like to know how he thinks doms compare to buggies because i know he is a big fan of buggies. so doms are fast huh? do you mean they have high top speed, good acceleration, or both? how is the ground clearance on truggies? i plan on going over some packed dirt, loose dirt, grass, and there will be some rocks mixed in with that dirt becuase it isn't going to be on a track. so i need a decent amount of ground clearance and if it is right between buggies and mt it will be just right.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:40 PM
studysession

My 1/8 scale buggy has less ground clearence and it can go through everything you just mentioned. Now big rocks for a buggy is another story. But yes a truggy can because it has the bigger tires on the Dom and MP.

The Dom and MP are almost same thing except a few bits. They both can go over a low. Dom has some changes designed for better handling in corners and such. The Dom and the Mp base line chassis is the MP Pirate Buggy. Just changed a few things, added the suspension from a Hyper 7 and added some chassis braces to match what the big tires would need, and there you go.

As for speed. The Dom is single speed and does a wopping 38 - 40 out of the box just like most buggies out there. Lots of claims of buggies going faster, but most do 38 - 40 out of box. Yes some buggies do go 45 - 50, but not as many as people think. You can put a 2 spd into the Dom and get a lot more top end, but for an off roader hitting the dirt doing some serious rock climbing. I do not think any MT under those circumstances needs to go any faster then 40'ish. But if you want speed you can put the 2 spd in w/o any problems.

Here is a pick of the Dom I sold. It had over 2.5 - 3 inches of ground clearence may not sound like a lot but it is more than enough. All depends on how you setup the suspension. You can set it up for a lot less than that as well.

You can take a TMaxx and turn it into a truggy. I thought about getting a RixGear chassis and turning my wife's into a truggy. If I did that, there would be almost no stock parts left which is my goal since the stock stuff break easily.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13354.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	80503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24433.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	80504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67774.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	80505  
Old 12-07-2003, 07:09 PM
petrolpixie

does anyone know how to go about converting a mp 7.5 into a truggy?
i would like to try it with my mp 7.5
Old 12-07-2003, 08:05 PM
TheQuakeKing
My Feedback: (23)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm going to keep my buggy body and wing, and put huge tires on it. It's a evader bx. What do you guys think. i'll need to do some mods. I plan to get evader st rims and put mashers on 'em.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:17 PM
R/C car guy

does anyone have a picture of a truggy next to a 1/8 scale buggy?
Old 12-07-2003, 08:21 PM
R/C car guy

how much ground clearance does an average buggy have?
Old 12-08-2003, 01:02 PM
studysession

My OFNA 9.5 I can get 2 1/2 inches of ground clearence. At the lowest setting I think it goes down to 1/2 inch of ground clearence. The Dominator had not quite but 1 inch more than my 9.5
Old 12-08-2003, 03:03 PM
R/C car guy

a 9.5 violater would be able to get the same or about the same ground clearance as the 9.5 right? i ask this becaseu if i were to get a buggyi would be the violator.

are there any draw backs to having a bugggy adjusted to its highest ground clearance?
Old 12-08-2003, 03:19 PM
studysession

The higher clearence would mean a VERY STIFF suspension. Yes you bounce around more. But I like it for off road more flat areas or normal hills. For jumps I drop the suspension a bit so it doesn't flip when it lands.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:31 PM
R/C car guy

study,

when you ordered your dominator where did you order it from? which one did you order becasue i see that there are three different ones to order. the only 3 places that i have found to order it from are hobbytron.com and nitrohouse.com and towerhobbies.com
Old 12-08-2003, 04:39 PM
Isphius
My Feedback: (1)

my "truggy" is a MP with dom wheels and tmaxx tires. It will outclimb anything, that is the only offroad condition where buggy conversions accel, hill climbs. There super low and they have pretty stiff suspension, making them perfect. Also they handle great, but i still dont get hy people race MTs...
Old 12-08-2003, 05:23 PM
R/C car guy

this may sound like a dumb question but does MP stand for monster pirate?
Old 12-08-2003, 06:10 PM
petrolpixie

does anyone know how to go about converting a mp 7.5 into a truggy?
i would like to try it with my mp 7.5
no one knows how to do this???
Old 12-08-2003, 11:22 PM
R/C car guy

does anyone else have an opinion about truggies?
Old 12-09-2003, 01:11 PM
studysession

I ordered mine from a Hobby Shop in Tennessee - It was the Dominator RTR cost me $389 american dollars. 423-351-0055

I bought the OFNA 9.5 I have and another kit but cant remember which from same guy. No one else has things cheaper. Just he does not always have everything in stock. He orders in bulk and puts most everything on Ebay for cheap and off it goes.

Anytime he has stuff I am looking for, I check around and compare and cant find anyone that can match his prices.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:00 PM
Isphius

no one knows how to do this???

Buy 17mm mt3 wheels from ofna, or imex 17mm wheels. Buy any 4 tmaxx tires, put them on, and get the spug gear from the monster pirate. play with clutch gearing from there.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:28 PM
studysession

You can convert any buggy into a truggy. Here people convert the Kyosho's to truggies all the time. There are many different tires that fit the Dominator RIMs and they fit 17mm hubs. Put a lower #t clutch bell on, like a 14t or 13 t clutch bell. Put some different body mounts, so you can put a truck body on and there you go.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:39 PM
petrolpixie

Buy 17mm mt3 wheels from ofna, or imex 17mm wheels. Buy any 4 tmaxx tires, put them on, and get the spug gear from the monster pirate. play with clutch gearing from there.
17mm mt3 wheels?? do you have a link to these or the imex wheels?
Old 12-11-2003, 09:13 PM
Isphius

www.imexrc.com the romulins or pluto tmaxx rims(17mm adapter included, u wont need it). i got my mt3 wheels from stormer hobbies or ace, cant remeber. The imex werent out when i bought them, so i never tried them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.