Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

A Guide for Beginners(Newbies Please Read)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

A Guide for Beginners(Newbies Please Read)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 01:06 PM
Nitroaddict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Guide for Beginners(Newbies Please Read)

Courtesy of Nitroaddict and Jeff S. -

Question: What should I use to clean my car?

Answer: Most people use either some form of Nitro Cleaner that's available at their LHS, or you can also use Denatured Alcohol in a plastic spray bottle, commonly found at hardware and home supply stores. It's also helpful to have some source for compressed air, that way you can blow your car clean and dry right away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: How often should i clean my air filter and how should i clean it?

Answer: every 5 tanks or when it looks like it needs it and you can wash it in soapy water or with nitro fuel then reapply air filter oil. but only if it is reletively clean. ONLY WASH THE OUTER ELEMENT< NEVER THE INNER ONE!!!.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: Why is it not a good idea to wash an airfilter element?

Answer: Because you can actually wash dirt into the foam element where it will get sucked into the engine.

Remedy: Never wash foam elements, always replace.

Exception: It is okay to wash the outer foam on a two stage air filter, but never the inner.

Question: How do i know if my engine is too hot?

Answer: There should be a nice stream of smoke coming out your exhaust. Better yet, buy a temp gun and make sure your engine is running bewteen 220f - 260f degrees. Always run on the rich side, unless you like replacing engines.

Question: Should I glue the tires on to the rims?

Answer: You bet, the easiest cheapest way of getting more performance out of your tires, is by glueing them using the glue supplied by your LHS, to your rims. Hey, you may have to buy new rims for every pair of tires, but hey when you try it will be worth it.

Question: What is the difference between kit and RTR

Answer: Kits usually come with better parts, but sometimes dont include engine and radio. RTR's compensate parts for labor, since they come assembeled. an example of this is the NTC3. the kit dosnt include radio or engine, but includes aluminium threaded shocks, a two speed, and better tires. kits let you see how the car goes together, and helps you when you break something, since you know what does what. Many people have different opinions in this topic, so its up to you to decide.

Question: How do I know when(/what)to buy high performance parts for my car?

Answer: Ask lots of questions from people with different views on the part/upgrade to be made.

When: Once you can outdrive(often confused with not being able to) your current car setup, or if you have broken the part. Too often newbies think they have to have the best out there to do better, which is often not the case.

Question: What is a good break-in procedure for my new engine?

Answer: OK, here goes. The first procedure is called "heat cycling", this is the most important part of break-in and almost no one does it. Start the engine and let it idle, after 1-2 minutes feel the cylinder head, you want it to be hot enough so you can't grab on to it for more than 10 seconds at the base of the head. Stop the engine, make sure the piston is at the bottom of the stroke, let it completely cool down, back to stone cold. Repeat this process at least 10 times !!! I usually dedicate the first tank of fuel to this process. It's going to take some time to do this so be patient.

Now you can take it out and run it. Open the main needle one full turn. The next 4 tanks, run at no more than 1/2 throttle and vary the speed up and down. Let it completely cool down between runs and always make sure the piston is at the bottom of the stroke while it is cooling. Try to run the engine in the 200 degree range during this period.

Now 4 more tanks running up to 3/4 throttle, run it in the same manner as before.

Now you can go wide open, make sure to run it on the rich side for another 6 tanks. Don't try to grab a lot of ponies yet. ( this is easier said than done !!)

Now you can let it rip. These engines run best at temps 220 to 240 degrees. There should always be a VISABLE line of smoke coming from the exhaust stinger.

Good luck with your break-in. Take your time and do it right and you will be rewarded with an engine that runs stronger and lasts longer than you have ever seen.

NOTE: For all high performance engines - the Rody Roem Heat Cycle break in process is the best method. Here is how it is done -

Per Rody himself - Also there are some things I personally do not do is for example start the engine with an electric starter and this you have to do with a Hudy bench if you do not take off the protection. I of course cannot tell you to take of the protection for safety reasons.

Anyway, if you still want to do it in this way, I think in this way you cannot do a lot of things wrong.
So before you start to run in an engine I suggest you cover the cooling-head with something so the engine heats-up properly(without the cover the engine will stay too cold).
Then start the engine and let it run rich at full throttle for 2-tanks at a temperature of about 80°C.
Then 2 more tanks at 90°C.
Then 1 more tank at 100°C.

After this your engine is almost run-in, however you need to finish the rest of the running-in in the car for about 2 more tanks and you are then ready to go.

Hope this helps you further.

Sorry for the poor English, but Rody is french, and these are his exact words

Question: How should i stop the engine on my car?

Answer: there are a couple ways, which are, pinching the fuel line, plugging the exaust and stopping the flywheel with your shoe. stopping the flywheel with your thumb or shoe is the best way, since it neither floods the engine or drains it. just be sure to leave the piston at the bottom of the stroke.

Question: What are some things I should do when I get my new car?

Answer:
Read the book.
Double check the tightness of the screws.
Glue your tires.
Install batteries.
Make sure the body has good airflow. (ie holes cut in front and back windshields.)
Make sure the airfilter is oiled and properly attached.
Check both servos (Makes sure the brake properly applies, etc)
Check your needle and throttle screws. (Even if the book says they're set right)
Check the trim on your radio. (You may set the throttle screw to the right gap but the radio trim may open it up for you so double check the trims.)
Review all material you can find on breakin (ie. the posts above)
Start PATIENTLY breaking it in.
Many people recomend using 10-20% nitro for breakins and to stick with that fuel for the life of the engine. Special breakin fuel should not be needed.

Question: How can I check my speed?

Answer: A Radar would be nice. But a stop watch is cheaper. The method below is used by law enforcement. Its called VASCAR.
Measure off an Area. A couple hundred feet would be nice . You can measure off whatever you can but due to human reaction times, the smaller the area, the less accurate your measurement will be. Then have a friend with a timer (so you can concentrate on driving) stand at the first line and another friend on the end line. Start your car back so you can get to top speed. When it crosses the first line the timer starts. When it passes the finish, your other friend signals so the timer knows when to stop. For double checking both friends can have timers. Finally you do a little math. (After you get your car to stop The formula is (Distance in feet/Time in seconds)*0.681818. For instance say your course is 300feet and your time was 3.099 seconds. Your speed would be (300/3.099)*0.681818 = 66MPH!!!. You're all done. You may want to take several measurements and average your results. Enjoy

Question: Where can I find information to tune my engine???

Answer: This site will help out newbies alot when they tune their engine http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/super_tune.asp

Question: What's something that I can do when I get my car to prevent lost screws and broken parts?

Answer: Whether it's an RTR, or a kit, remove any screws that go into metal and apply threadlock. Some companies do this at the factory, some don't. The only way to make sure that it's done, is to do it yourself. This stops the screws from being vibrated out. I know from personal experiences, 2 lost carb screws, and 1 lost engine mount screw.

Question: Are 2 bottles of the same fuel alike?

Answer: I broke in my NTC3 I got on a gallon jug of Blue Thunder 20% I already had. The gallon jug was maybe a little over 3/4 full when I started using it in the NTC3. It was maybe 3 months old.
That jug finally ran out and I just bought a new gallon of the stuff.

My NTC3 ran horrible on the new stuff. I never thought it was the fuel. I thought it was the 90 degree heat here.

I also decided to fire up the RC10 GT and it was not only hard to start but did the same thing the NTC3 did. Quit running while there was still fuel in the tank. Had to richen the heck out of both of them. Again, I thought it was because it was 90 degrees here. In this heat, leaning out the high speed needle was the correct thing to do but that was not the problem. I also replaced the glow plugs.

It was the new fuel.

My point is that while Blue Thunder is a great and quality fuel and I am going to continue to use it in my NTC3 and the RC10 GT, no two jugs of fuel are the same and when you get a new bottle of fuel,

CHECK THE ENGINE TEMPS!

I was so lean I am surprised I did not melt down the engines. And yes there was smoke coming out of the pipes.

Guys I race with use O'Donell, Trinity and other top quality brands and they have experienced at times the same problem I did when they get new fuel of the same brand. No bash on the fuel suppliers meant either.

Question: Which is better 2WD or 4WD?

Answer: A 2WD is easier to maintain and cost less to purchase, but it will take more time to learn how to handle your truck in turns. A 4WD will give power and traction in these turns, but the draw back is the cost and maintenance.

"Reading your Glowplug"

Keeping an Eye on your glowplug will help you to understand how you should adjust your carburation.

1) Take the glowplug out and look at the coil element :
if the spiral is a little bit pressed and bent it means that the engine has too much compression. If you are racing on a sea level track, with 25% or more nitro this could be the main reason. Than you need to check underhead shims and insert a tenth.

2) If the coil element has a dull, as if it were sanded, it means that the carburation is too lean (lack of fuel) and you can damage the engine. You run the risk to break the coil element and make it fall down on the top end of the piston, damaging the piston/sleeve. In this case, you should replace the old Plug with a new plug and richen the High Speed needle 1/8th.

3) If the thread has a dark colour and the plug seems wet, the carburation is too rich and the engine isn't running at optimal power. You have to lean the carburation closing the High speed needle.

4) When the coil element is polished and the spiral does not present any imperfections, your engine carburation is most likely spot on.

This, along with increased experience in learning the "Sounds" of a glow engine and use of a quality temperature guage, will make you an Ace at tuning your engine... Tuning your Models engine is not "rocket science" and is fairly easy once you completely understand the how the carb works and the effects it has on your engines performance and sound. With some time and experience, it will become second nature to you... just be patient and perseptive and the knowledge you gain will take the voodoo out of this great hobby! Enjoy...

Question: What should i use to clean my car?

Answer: Denatured alcohol works great, like a degreaser. Just be sure you don't get any on electronics.

Question: What to do if your air filter flies off your car when your driveing body on or off.

Answer: Immdeiatly shut the motor off. Since some dirt might of gotinto the engine and could kill your motor and make you have to rebuildit so. Kill the motor. Take of the carb. Prey nothing gotinto your motor. Put somenitro into a old cup and put your carb in there. Let it soak for a little bit. That should get out the dirt. Or you could blow out ur carb with a air compressor. Both ways work. Don't be lazy and keep on driveing because your to lazy to clean your carb.

Question: What are some good hop-ups for my car?

Answer: Well this could easily vary, but hardened differentials, a steel spur gear and clutchbell if you want long lasting parts, although you will need a hardened clutchbell as well or you'll possibly strip the clutchbell, titanium turnbuckels, aluminum hub carriers, aluminim knuckles, 2 speed transmission (on-roads)

Question: What one should do after crash and there is no obvirous damage reported?

Answer: You might find the car not going/running the way it was before the crash. Should check the alignments, bent metal parts, should loosen the screws and tide them up again. Should do it after crash or running the car for a whole day and when you found your car's handling become strange. Crash and the vibration/shocks your car "absorbed" might affect the alignemnt of your car as well as breaking your car's parts.

orignally posted in nitrorc and rcnitrotalk
Old 12-09-2003, 05:20 PM
G1GY

Default RE: A Guide for Beginners(Newbies Please Read)

Question: How should i stop the engine on my car?

Answer: there are a couple ways, which are, pinching the fuel line, plugging the exaust and stopping the flywheel with your shoe. stopping the flywheel with your thumb is the best way, since it neither floods the engine or drains it. just be sure to leave the piston at the bottom of the stroke.
You did mean shoe and not thumb, didn't you?
(Might be a little hard on the thumb.)
Old 12-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Nitroaddict

actually, you can do it either way. Yes, stopping with your shoe is the preferred method, however, stopping with your thumb is okay too as long as the engine is at idle, otherwise skin removal is probable. I have edited the post.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Hoffman002

ok i'm new to this and i just bought a glow plug ingntor and i was wondering....should i put the battery in the glow pulg ingntor well its chargering??
Old 12-09-2003, 10:13 PM
Nitroaddict

most rechargable glow starters come with a charger. u attach the charger to the glow starter just like u would attach the glow starter to a glow plug. Yes, leave the battery in the starter while charging - as you are charging the battery, not the starter itself.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:02 AM
Hoffman002

hey thanks a lot i'm getting ready to go outside and play with it right now
Old 12-10-2003, 08:16 AM
Nitroaddict

no problem - remember, it takes about 16-18 hours to first charge the glow starter, and about 12 hours to recharge it everytime thereafter.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:21 PM
soulstealer

thanx that helps
Old 12-19-2003, 07:25 PM
Jerkey

How do I know if the piston is at the bottom of the stroke?
Old 12-22-2003, 12:22 AM
CaNaDiAnRaCeR

Take out your glow plug and look in the hole on the head. Another way is if you pull your pull starter slowy, you will soon feel the compression of the piston at the top. Once you keep pulling you will hear the 'pop' sound. Then just keep pulling a little more...about half way and your piston should be at the bottom.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:03 AM
luv2sk8te17
My Feedback: (20)

I usually put a sandwhich bag over my engine and tape it tight. Then I put 1 around my pipe. Then the electronics. I use a water hose 2 spray it down yet careful of where I spray. So far its working fine. Comes clean w/ ease and no problems. Just be sure 2 spray any metal parts w/ wd40 such as the dogbones and cupjoints.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:53 PM
WonderWheels

why don't u just go the petrol station and use the tyre pumper upper thingy to spray the car with?
Old 02-06-2004, 09:26 PM
Raynor

hey im really new, and i dont even have a car yet but i am debating wether to get the Savage 25 or T-Maxx 2.5....do you have any suggestions NitroAddict? I want something thats pretty fast, very durrable around $400 something i can run around in my backyard and not have to worry about replacing 2 much if i run full speed into a tree or something...thanks for your help
Old 02-13-2004, 09:24 AM
matster

The Savage imo is much more durable than the T-maxx, I own a Savage and my friend had a maxx. He sold it after running it side by side and also bought a Savage.

The T-maxx is not a bad truck but, it is a lot more expensive to keep it running.

Have fun choosing
Old 02-17-2004, 08:23 AM
MattLarson29

Nitroaddict - what do you have against cats? (Read the last line of the first post)

Matt
Old 02-17-2004, 08:35 AM
Nitroaddict

HA! Fixed. At least I know someone is reading it.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:21 AM
SpeedDemon-4

I have to admit i am a newbie but nobody is going to read that it's to long
Old 02-22-2004, 07:54 AM
MattLarson29

It's two freakin' pages!!!!

If that's too much to read, you might want to save yourself a lot of trouble and get out of the hobby. The break-in instructions for your motor are longer than that.

Matt
Old 02-22-2004, 12:41 PM
Raynor

I READ IT AND IM SUCH A NEWBIE I DONT EVEN HAVE A RC NITRO TRUCK YET!
Old 02-23-2004, 09:37 AM
matster

ORIGINAL: SpeedDemon-4

I have to admit i am a newbie but nobody is going to read that it's to long
Lazy Bas***d !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read it. This is perfect for begginers.