Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

EZ start glow igniter???

Old 12-09-2003, 03:44 PM
jettman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EZ start glow igniter???

Damn it. I was just bragging on these forums the other day about how my EZ-start 2 works good.... Well, now that isn't the case...

I hook up the EZ-start 2 to the truck. I hit the button, the motor turns over but the Glow plug light doesn't come on. I've checked following:

1. all wires are secure
2. Battery is charged
3. Changed the glow plug/checked existing glow plug
4. I'm getting about 1V of power to the glow plug

I'm guessing something may have shorted out the glow plug portion of the EZ-Start system. Has anyone else had this problem?

Yes, I've already ordered a regular glow igniter.

Thanks,

Jettman
Old 12-09-2003, 04:08 PM
rcmtdriver2000

Default RE: EZ start glow igniter???

Sometimes the wire that goes to the top of the plug needs cleaned with a cotton swab for a better connection. Just like the inside of a glow ignitor does sometimes. I've seen some people
put fuses in line with the wire to the plug as well, it supposedly saves the battery from getting zapped from what I understand. Hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:18 PM
jettman

I checked that as well. I checked all of the connections. I think I'll just be using a glow igniter from now on. Seems it would be more reliable.

Thanks for the response,
Jettman
Old 12-09-2003, 04:25 PM
ThermalRD

My sons ez-start is about to find a special place in my life. The JUNK BOX!!!! Im done with it...Stupid thing eats batteries all too fast. I already ordered the pull start.

Matt
Old 12-09-2003, 04:48 PM
crower28

If you use a glow igniter w/ the ez start, the batt lasts MUCH longer. I'm using a 3000MAh NmHd and have yet to kill it, I just charge it every couple weeks (approx 1 gal of fuel).
Old 12-09-2003, 05:28 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD

My sons ez-start is about to find a special place in my life. The JUNK BOX!!!! Im done with it...Stupid thing eats batteries all too fast. I already ordered the pull start.

Matt

HUH? I have the cheapest 1500mah NiCad you can get, and I have NEVER failed to get a full day's worth of starts out of it (5-7 tanks). And if your rechargable battery isn't giving you enough "run time", that means you either have a crapped-out battery OR you start your truck a lot more than most users, which would make a pullstart REALLY annoying (and I've NEVER heard anyone else complain about EZ Start battery life, as you can just get a new/bigger one!!).

You can't eat rechargables...I guess you can say you GNAW on them between charges For a grand total of $30 you can get two of the cheapies I mentioned OR one 3000mah NiMH. I'll be getting a 2nd cheapie soon, as I HAVE gotten to the point where it starts to wear down after a day 'o fun.

I couldn't imagine working with a pull start!!!! Nitro engines are too fussy, you have to keep retuning them to adjust for the weather, and there have just been too many instances where the engine needs a bunch of starts before you get it dialed in. Maybe I'm just flashing back to old lawn mowers that drove me nuts back in the days before mfgs. made reliable starting a priority!

It's your call, but if you must change your starting method, I'd recommend you KEEP the EZ start for the motorized part & just use a glow starter, like many others do. Your battery will last longer & you'll save LOTS of aggrevation!!

And as to the initial post/problem, I'd call Traxxas & see what they say. They DO have great support, and I think they might well replace your unit, even if it's out of warranty. Otherwise, I'd just pick up a "head unit" on e-bay. They sell for about the same as a glow ignitor, and then you don't need to deal with two different starting units, two different rechargable batteries (or $$C batteries that you'd have to stock up on.).

And "checking the wiring" is NOT enough to assure that the problem is in the unit itself!! There could be wire problems under the insulation or within the pin connectors. Again, a complete wiring harness might cost $5-7 on ebay.

I just think it's gotta be something simple, and if it isn't, I think a call to Traxxas and/or a $5-20 investment would be worth it to keep what I believe is one of the best features of this truck!!

Dean