Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Switching to RACE FORMULA BLUE THUNDER!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Switching to RACE FORMULA BLUE THUNDER!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 08:53 PM
IslandSavage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching to RACE FORMULA BLUE THUNDER!

What are the pros and cons of switching from Sport formula to Race formula from BLUE THUNDER?!?!?!!??!? Will i notice a diff.???? Im running a OS 21RG(X) in my SAVAGE 25. And i broke it in with the Sport Formula, but ran out and accidentally bought the Race formula. [X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40678.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	83775  
Old 12-19-2003, 09:09 PM
MrSavage

Default RE: Switching to RACE FORMULA BLUE THUNDER!

hey man, i run blue thunderand i don't believe itsport and race are much different at all, don't hold me to it but i think its not much differnce at all. by the way, i love your truck! did you dye thoe rims yourself?
Old 12-19-2003, 09:26 PM
godlyone

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your LHS only carries Blue Thunder and you have to stick with it I would stay with the Race Formula. The Sport Blue Thunder has too many additives and seems to gunk things up faster because of it. On the other hand, the Race Formula is "intended" to allow for running overly-lean so if you have a tired engine you may not like the results.

If you can get your hands on anything else such as O'donnels or Trinity you will probably never go back to the Thunder.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:15 PM
SavageRCRacer
My Feedback: (2)

I think the only difference is the oil....the Race has less oil is why is gunks up quicker. But if you bash, I would say the sport to give the engine longer life with jsut a little less performance.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:18 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Race oils usually have less oil than the already low oil found in non-race RC car fuels. I'd return the fuel and get the regular fuel which has 12% oil in it (too low for my personal use but better than 8% race oil). You should see an increase in power but engine tuning will be more critical and less of a safety margin will exist with the decreased oil content. Also, power is not free and reduced oil content and associated increased performance will result in decreased engine longevity.

What do you folks mean by oil gunking up? I run 17-18 percent airplane fuel in my Savage with NO problems ever with "gunking" up. The oil is there for a reason. I've run engines as small at .061 cubic inch with no problem using 20-22% oil content.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:42 PM
godlyone

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blue Thunder Sport has an extra lubricant additive in it called ZX-7. This miracle junk makes it easier for the beginner or novice to tune their engines. When the engine gets too hot this extra lube additive turns into a combustible and makes the engine pop and sputter. So, if you are trying to get good horsepower out of your engine you will be limited and the "zone" is not always predictable particularly under extreme conditions such as tuning an engine with wear on it or on a really hot day. This stupid additive has actually frustrated a whole mass of people over the years simply because they didn't know about the additive and what it was in there for. Most thought they were merely poor engine tuners.

I have burned my share of Blue Thunder and I have burned my share of O'Donnell, Trinity Monster Horsepower and Powermaster. Personally I prefer the Powermaster or Monster Horsepower for all-around bashing and the O'Donnell for racing.

As for fuel "gunking" up, I have seen more build-up in my engines from the Blue Thunder than any other. Is it the "super-magical-additives" that Dynamite uses? Dunno. But I don't have this problem with the other fuels I use. Sure the blue color build-up is easier to see when comparing to other fuel colors but the comparisons appear very drastic IMO.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:02 AM
IslandSavage

Thankx for all the info guys.... I think imma return it back to my LHS. I was already a lil concerned about the low oil content in BLUE THUNDER. My LHS also carrys O'DONNEL so i might make the switch..And no i didnt dye my rims, I stripped the chrome off with some ASCETONE i bought at walmart and then spray painted them OUTLAW black. With all the bashing and track use they havent faded or chipped like they did when there chrome.

Name:	Qo41072.jpg
Views:	12
ID:	83864  
Old 12-20-2003, 10:04 AM
ac112785
My Feedback: (1)

i dont understand why u took the .25 engine out and put in a .21 engine. NO SENSE THERE AT ALL. well, i did blue thunder race formula and it was good. but the problem with it was it seemed to try to shut down my engine after i've been driving for about 10 min. and trying to go fast. i knew that chemical in it that helped engine when you're running to lean. i wasn't. there was smoke coming out no matter how fast you're going. i dont use that fuel anymore. it was my only gallon of that stuff.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:25 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Heres the lowdown:

BT RACE is 3/7% Castor/Syntec.
BT Sport is 7/3%

There might be other differences in terms of additives.

But in any case you only have 10% oil. FYI

ram
Old 12-21-2003, 06:00 AM
IslandSavage

Dont knock it..... The OS 21RRG(X) is alot better than my S-25 IMO. The OS motor is alot more reliable, takes 1 pull to start, wayyyyyyy easier to tune, and im running better lap times with it. This guy at my track also has one and he kills everyone. I get on demand wheelies and the power is just insane. WAY more than what i expected. I had to adjust my shift opoint to later, cause when it hits second the truck just takes off and its like it just floats. The tire just wanna take off..and thats with BIG JOE 40's....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its turns them into pizza cutters.. My S-25 never could really do that.....And i just barely finished the break in....

Name:	Yw69070.jpg
Views:	13
ID:	84115