Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Duratrax Flashpoint

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 06:47 PM
mrjason82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duratrax Flashpoint

I have a Duratrax Flashpoint Infrared Temp gun. Just curious about how to calibrate it. it's got some correction factors and the instructions that came with it tell me that I should set it on either 21E, 77E, or 95E (default) it goes up to 100E for R/C usage. it says that the 95E is for measuring battery temps while the 21E and 77E are used to check anodized aluminum and aluminum. If I do set it on the aluminum it just seems ridiculously off so I just left it at the 95E. I'm just not sure how accurate it really is. Anyone have this and know what it should be set on for R/C car engines? Thanks for any help
Old 12-31-2003, 12:38 PM
mattyk6

Default RE: Duratrax Flashpoint

I guess it pays to read the instructions. I didn't even know that there were different modes. I've seen the Mode button, but never really thought about it.

Sorry that I'm not of any help, but you were to me!

Matt
Old 12-31-2003, 01:55 PM
mecky33

I have the same temp gun and am going to calibrate it in my freezer. I know what the freezer is set at, and I am going to take the cooling head off my engine and throw it in the freezer for an hour to get it good and cold. Then I will temp it without touching it to see how accurate the gun is. I had it set at 95E and it was way high on the engine, but right on everywhere else. at 77E its closer to the engine temp but way off on everything else. That is why I devised the freezer test. I think i will do it today and let you know how it turns out.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:26 PM
mecky33

OK, just did the freezer thing, and I think I got it pretty close. I have my gun set at 84E. I took the cooling head off and the glow plug part, cause I have a two piece set up. Threw the whole thing in the freezer so it sat like it was in the truck. let it sit for half an hour pulled it out and started temping it to get it as close to 0 degrees as possible. I then set the head back in the freezer to cool back off, and rechecked it to make sure it was accurate. Oh yea, and I put the cooling head in a bowl so I didn't have to touch the head and it would keep airflow from disrupting the reading. So, start with that E setting and try what I did to check for accuracy. Oh, and the cooling head will be the only thing its accurate on with that E setting.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:37 PM
mrjason82

good work, thanks for your input
Old 12-31-2003, 05:46 PM
mecky33

No prob, Let me know if you need more help.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:16 PM
Starcraft-IX

Did you ever do this using an overn test to test high temps?
Old 04-20-2004, 05:53 AM
mrjason82

I compared my flashpoint to a laser temp gun yesterday and for reading my engine I found that 37 was the best number...I actually like it to read a few degrees hotter than it really is so at 37 it reads about 5-8 degrees higher than the laser.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:42 PM
KSIR

I think Im going to buy one of these they are very cheap but does that make them crappy ?
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEMG5&P=0]Duratrax Flashpoint[/link] I reckon calibration would be the most important way of getting accurate readings. I wonder how many other ways there are for calibrating this temp guage???