Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

OFNA Titan Twin Vs. CEN Genesis

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

OFNA Titan Twin Vs. CEN Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 11:48 PM
z1nomad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OFNA Titan Twin Vs. CEN Genesis

Greetings,

Well it seems the Genesis is still shrouded in mystery and so I thought to post this question and see what others out there have to say. The OFNA Titan Twin is 22 inches long and runs with two .26 motors, I guess you could say this adds up to something like a .52 single engine. It sells for between $720-$900 and is limited in production. Now, the CEN Genesis has a .46 engine, is 21 inches long and is expected to sell for between $500-$600. Given these variables it would seem that the OFNA Titan Twin is the Bigger, Badder and Meaner truck, would all of you out there agree with me on this or is there something I am missing here? Your input would be appreciated especially if you feel the oppsite is true or there is a contender out there that I am not aware of that beats these two. Thanks
Old 12-20-2003, 12:28 AM
twinmania

Default RE: OFNA Titan Twin Vs. CEN Genesis

I agree with you. Ofna has a more reputable name. As with features, twin titan will cost more but you will not have to upgrade anything except for the bumpers.

Just an example, if you purchase a T-maxx or any similar truck. You add aluminum shocks, tuned pipe, aluminum skid plates, decent cooling head, and a high torque servo. The cost for all that will be comparable with the twin titan. But yet, more upgrades will be needed to include drivetrain, arms, bulkheads, etc.

Does anyone disagree?

Give us your opinion as well.
Old 12-20-2003, 06:47 PM
mecky33

I think the Genensis would be a better truck. Plus the price is supposed to be 400-500. Plus having two engines doesn't always make anything better. what if one engine is running a bit slower than the other? then both engines end up working the same, so over all you lose power. plus if they are both spinning you won't get any more speed than one engine, you just get more torque. So, it will pull like all hell when you start moving, but you won't have much more top speed than a single. You also have to look in to the overall power and torque of the .46. what it makes overall is going to determine its performance. then you have weight. that will affect everything on both trucks, does that one .46 weight less than the two .26's? My MT2 has a power to weight ratio of 5.9 - 1. Thats better than the new Ford GT which is 7.5 to 1. Plus where did you hear that it was only 21 inches long? from my guestimates from the photo on cens web site, it should be between 23 and 26 inches overall length. but then again, length means weight. Then you have the three speed with reverse, four wheel steering, notable tech support and customer service that comes with the Genesis. You also have to look at the difference in frames between the two. The titan has a single deck that has no bracing to prevent flex. This will cause undue stress on motor mounts and drive train. The Genesis uses a frame similar to the savage that is very tough and not very prone to flex. this can be bad in a hard landing as you could damage the frame, but this is rather unlikely under most circumstances. Anyway thats just my two cents.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:48 PM
popa71

Until the Genisis comes out we really cant say anything about it. Plus this twin engine truck think is alot of hype. The truck gains torque but not speed. Then you have 2 engines to worry about . Then it will be really embarrasing when a savage 25 or an mgt with an outlaw .26 or a stock Mammoth can outrun it.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:30 PM
ThermalRD

I dont really see how you can compare two trucks, when one isnt even out yet, but i guess we can entertain ourselves for a while in this thread. I like Ofna vehicles, but nobody ever really picks them up and does aftermarket. You can sit back all you want and say you dont need new parts, or the truck is good already, but you know if they DID have aftermarket you would be bragging and using it as a selling point with other people. Ofnas twin titan is pretty cool, but i dont exactly see it ever being in HIGH demand. For a bashing truck i bet it would be fun though. Now CEN has a pretty big challenge ahead of them. They have to not only build a GREAT product, but deliver it at an unbeatable price. I like that CEN is using ONE big motor. I also like the option of 4 wheel steering. Although i feel it will be a weak spot with such a high torque motor, i cant deny how cool it would be to drive such a beast at the construction sites. We will really have to wait and see. I dont think anybody could say that one is better than the other at this point.

Matt
Old 01-15-2004, 08:19 AM
z1nomad

Greetings,

I almost purchased an OFNA Titan Twin but after much introspection and research I cancelled that order and elected to wait for the Genesis. As it stands based on information I acquired today; it is expected that the first 500 trucks will be in their owners hands in late February (For those smart enough to have pre-ordered anyway) Though much remains unknown I based my decision on my working experience of CEN products, these guys have consistantly put to market products that just put others to shame from a quality stand point. A good way to think of CEN is they figured out a way to double the quality and features and get it to market at half the price of the competition. Rare but it happens, anyone familiar with their CT-4S platform can vouch for this. That's my two cents.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:10 AM
oatmealman
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: z1nomad

Greetings,

I almost purchased an OFNA Titan Twin but after much introspection and research I cancelled that order and elected to wait for the Genesis. As it stands based on information I acquired today; it is expected that the first 500 trucks will be in their owners hands in late February (For those smart enough to have pre-ordered anyway) Though much remains unknown I based my decision on my working experience of CEN products, these guys have consistantly put to market products that just put others to shame from a quality stand point. A good way to think of CEN is they figured out a way to double the quality and features and get it to market at half the price of the competition. Rare but it happens, anyone familiar with their CT-4S platform can vouch for this. That's my two cents.
I have to agree the ofna is overkill unless your crawling up on 75 degree angles it's overkill,plus you could probably do the same thing with genesis at half the cost.Thats my two cents.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Element

I just couldnt imagine breaking in the twin engines[:@]
Old 01-15-2004, 08:17 PM
Nitro7-inactive

1 at a time??????
Old 01-15-2004, 10:08 PM
nitromacguyver

ORIGINAL: popa71

Until the Genisis comes out we really cant say anything about it.
i agree with popa71, we shouldnt try comparing the trucks until the genisis is released.

about the 4WS, i am wondering, wont it make the genisis extremely easy to roll?

and about the engine, is it a converted airplane/heli engine or is it designed from scratch as an engine designed for truck/cars?
Old 01-15-2004, 10:34 PM
mecky33

Its a new engine designed for car/truck use.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:39 PM
Sweetshoes90210

Hey Mecky33, That was not a two cent post it was more of a 20 doller post.

great post man.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:48 PM
nitromacguyver

ORIGINAL: mecky33

Its a new engine designed for car/truck use.
excellent.
i ask because i know that the EK4 had cooling issues because it was designed for use in helicopers so im glad that CEN took the initiative to make an engine designed for cars/trucks instead of converting a heli/airplane engine. to me that speaks greatly of thier reputation for quality.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:38 PM
Sweetshoes90210

I am in complete agrement with Dan. There is no purpose to have twin engines in your truck unless you want to have serious braging rights. Even a 46. engine is way to much power. You will never need that amout of power, even .12 2-stroke engines pack enough power than any of us know what to do with. If you ask me, dual engines equals twice the hastel because if one engine is not in tune, it will bring the other one down to its leve. The Titan will maby top out at most 50 mph but with the Genesis 3 speed tranny and singal 46. engine it will also max about 55-60 mph. The speed is quite the same but the power to weight ratio is much different. Suposedly the Gen has exelent power to weight ratio which makes even the MT-2 look bad. The Titan on the other hand may have alot of torq but you have to consider that it has dual engines and a bigger chassy with bigger componets which make the power to rate ratio suck. Tuning the Titan will also be a pain in the keayster because you have two of everything to tune. You need to make sure that each setting on one side is the same on the other. The genesis has 4 wheel steering as well which add increable handleing. Though most people would think it would filp with that amount of traction but I won't because of the weight. There is a major down side to haveing 4 wheel steering though and that is batteries. You will need atleast 8-12 batteries for the truck it's slef and 8-12 batteries for the remote. Cleaning the Titan will also be a major down side because there is no free space on the chassi so if dirt or fuel gets in between the many but small spaces the only way to clean it up would be to pull some componants out. The gen has plenty of room for extra components and that add to easy cleaning it also has many holes in the chassi. When I say holes, you probably think that it weakens the chassi, but it doesn't i't actully strenthens the chassi because of where the holes are located not only do the serve that pupose but if you spill fuel, it will drain through unlike the Titans chassi it will just stay at the bottom. The Gens engine is also not a plane engine ploped onto a Monster truck, i't is a speacily desinged engine made for on/off road use.

It consists of

7.7cc displacement
True ABC Construction
Rear Exhaust
Slide Carb.
13 fins Giant Cooling head combined with special designed external engine block ensured efficient cooling
Massive wheelie pulling bottom end Torque combine with massive top end power
Convient Pull Start system (Shaft start available optional)
High Efficient Foam element air filter

Fact from Mecky33 - The titan has a single deck that has no bracing to prevent flex. This will cause undue stress on motor mounts and drive train. The Genesis uses a frame similar to the savage that is very tough and not very prone to flex. this can be bad in a hard landing as you could damage the frame, but this is rather unlikely under most circumstances.

In conclusion, It is hard to tell what is better because the Genesis is not out yet but from what I know and the fact I have gatherd I truly belive the once the Genesis is out on the market it will be an all around better truck. The CEN company may not have the notarity as OFNA but they make some of the most reliable and profound rc products in the world.

Titan Twin - Features Go here and watch the video. [link=http://ofna.com/titanTwin.html]Here[/link]

Double Decker chrome chassis

Super Arms - Wider than the original

22 Inch Chassis (bumper to bumper)

Dual 125cc Fuel Tank

Oil Filled Coil-over Aluminum Shocks

Front And Rear Chassis Braces

New Painted And Trimmed Body

Full Ball Bearing Set

Longer, Thicker Front & Rear CVA'S

Extended Titan Super Arms

Fully Adjustable Suspension

Genesis -

Aerospace grade chassis componenets
Four Wheel Steering System
4 Disk Brake system
Special Engineered .46 Big Block Racing Engine
Racing Tuned Pipe with high flow manifold
Huge 7 1/2 inch Tires
Full Precision Ball Bearings
Special engineered Composit Drivetrain
Ultra "Gliding" Drivetrain
Composit, Light Weight Telescoping Drive Shafts and center shafts
"Dimension X" 10 Coil-Overs System with "REAL" functional Reservoirs
Sealed, 3 fluids filled, low CG, Front, Rear and Center Differentials
Convinent Pull start system
Transmitter Controlled Reverse
3-Speed Automatic Transmission w/ adjustable shifting
Adjustable toe/camber (Front and Rear)
Large 220cc fuel tank
High Impact bumpers (Front and Rear)
Protected Radio Box and Battery case
Adjustable Turnbuckles
Final production specifications may vary from prototype drawing

Chassis and Transmission:
Chassis: Aerospace grade material throughout chassis components
Brake: 4 Disk Brake System
Drive Axles: Special engineered composit, Light Weight Telescoping Drive Shafts and center shafts
Drivetrain: Harden, Ultra "Gliding" Drive System
Transmission: 3 speed forward/reverse
Bearing: Full Precision Ball Bearings
Differential: Sealed, 3 fluids filled, low CG, Front, Rear and Center Differentials
Engine and Accessory
.46 Big Block Rear exhaust engine
Racing Tuned Pipe
High flow manifold
Fuel Tank: 220cc fuel tank
Electric/shaft Starting System (Optional)
Wheel and Tire
High 7 1/2 inch tires
Chrome Spacious Wheels
Suspension
4 wheel indenpendent suspension
"Dimension X" 10 coil-Overs system (8 harden adjustable Racing Shocks + Front and Rear dual center mounted shocks with reservoirs)
Electric:
Newly Engineered
CEN Impact C3 radio system with metal gear high torque servos

Front Susppension:
Adjustable Camber
Adjustable Toe
Multiple Shock-mounting positions (including upper and lower suspension arms positions)
Adjustable Shock mounts
Heavy Duty fron Skid Plate
High Torque Servos

Rear Suspension
Adjustable Camber
Adjustable Toe
Multiple Shock-mounting positions (including upper and lower suspension arms positions)
Adjustable Shock mounts
Heavy Duty fron Skid Plate
High Torque Servos

Center Slipper, 2 Speed Trans

Low-profile Radio Tray Box

Dual Force .26 engines

Large wheels W/high-grip tires

Includes New OFNA Shaft Start System

Includes Glow Ignitor & Plug

And Much More