Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Which 1/8 scale MT to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 03:00 PM
wanta4re

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 1/8 scale MT to buy?

I am going to be purchasing a MT in the near future and am trying to get as much info as possible. Most of the time I will just be using the truck for bashing, but handling performance is important to me. I am looking for a decent amount of ground clearance but understand the trade off in handling. I also want RTR and am looking to spend about $400-450 for the kit. I've limited my search to the following and am looking for some input. Please don't hesitate to ask questions.

-HPI Savage 25 RTR
-GS Storm RTR
-Tamiya TNX RTR
-OFNA Pirate MT Sport RTR

I've seen a lot of people turning their MT into racers and I think that is something that might give me the balance I'm looking for. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:03 PM
cyclejerk

Default RE: Which 1/8 scale MT to buy?

HPI Savage 25 RTR

Nice, dependable engine with nice power.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:40 PM
fumblenutz2g

WAIT TILL MARCH AND GET A CEN GENISIS
Old 01-19-2004, 06:54 PM
BFT

Why don't you look at the Associated Monster GT if you plan on racing. It is almost race ready where as all the other trucks will need several hundred dollars of hop-ups to be competitive. The Monster GT also has one of the highest ground clearances. Look online and you can find the truck for around $450.

If you plan on racing the GS Storm truck would be an EXCELLENT selection. It is a truggy that has the potential to whip some serious butt on the track.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:09 PM
cemeb4dk

i have a savage with a picco 26 in it, not bad for racing still a truck though. I also have a couple of 1/8th scale buggies and I have just ordered a GS Storm SUT, after seeing it at the track, it is awesome... THe way the thing handles on the track it will definetly be the truck to beat.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:17 PM
Tracer
My Feedback: (1)

I own a Savage 21 and a friend has both the Dominator and Pirate MT (they're the same platform).

My savage has gone through a lot of upgrades. So I wouldn't say the 25 will be race ready either. Though the engine will be much nicer. I've replaced my engine with an OS 21RG.

The Associated BFT is nice, but I wouldn't say it's race ready. That and I would go somewhere like rcxshop.com and buy the original Thunder Tiger truck (the BFT is just a rebranded broduct like the OFNA stuff).

The Savage is actually a 1/10... if you want 1/8 you want either the Pirate MT or the new Cen Genesis.
My vote would be for the Pirate MT or a Dominator Extreme RTR kit. (Dominator is almost the same thing as the Pirate MT) even though it's actually made by some chinese manf ([link=http://www.hobao.com/]Ho Bao[/link]). Getting a truck thats built on a buggy platform is nice cuz it shares parts so they're more readily available. However I have no problems getting parts for the Savage considering how popular HPI is around here.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:24 PM
wanta4re

Hey BFT,

Which upgrades make the Associated race ready as compared to others?
Old 01-19-2004, 08:59 PM
mnsavage

For bashing, I'd get the Savage 25 RTR. The MGT is out of your price range, the Storm SUT is awesome and should clean up at the track, but it doesn't have that much ground clearance (it's not supposed to be a basher, it's a racer). I've sworn off OFNA engines and vehicles for good, and the Tamiya TNX....I just don't know of anyone who's got one to even hear how it is in the real world. I do know that the Savage is one tough truck that's an AWESOME basher and can really take a massive beating.

As for the "scale" comment made above, no vehicles are an accurate scale version of anything, it's just used to get an idea of its size. The 1/8 Savage isn't much bigger than a 1/10 T-Maxx. So? Does that change the qualities of any particular vehicle? If you buy based on size, check the size specs, not the scale. The XTM Mammoth is bigger than all of them, yet it's still considered 1/8 scale.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:02 PM
BFT

I said it is ALMOST race ready.
1. Engine - A very good .21 that has plenty of power
2. Suspension - Very good even with those stupid fake piggy backs.
3. Strength - Very solid aluminum frame
4. Acceleration and Speed - Plenty for an off road track
5. Maintenance - Very easy to work on, simple design.
6. CVD - No need to replace dog bones!
7. Air Filter - Dual stage oiled

What would I change?
Radio - Replace with JR XS3
Tires - Replace with Proline Bow Tie 40 series and Proline Velocity 6 wheels
Steering Servo - Replace with a high torque Airtronic

Each truck wanta4re mentioned is a good MT with the exception fo the Tamiya TNX (I just have never liked Tamiya). The GS Storm is a racer but I feel its not a TRUE monster truck since it is a buggy with big wheels.

This is all just my opinion, yours may very with milage. I have a BGT and it is a very durable, quality built truck that I think anyone would be happy with.