Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

SERIOUS durability comparison...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

SERIOUS durability comparison...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 02:39 AM
In2JeepN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERIOUS durability comparison...

OK guys, I am very tired of my (always broken) Tmaxx...badly bent $90 CDN bulks 4 days after putting them in, and broke my 7th (yes you read that right) gas tank. I am very tired of this truck now. It started out as a $700 change from the buggy scene, to over $2000 now in upgrades.

Question: What truck can you honestly say takes the most beating? Based on what you have played with / owned / seen beaten @ your local beating ground...not just what you-kinda-heard-from-some-dude-on-some-other-forum-kinda-thing.

Please I don't want any "SAVAGES RULE CUZ I OWN ONE!" answers...but here's the skinny - Me & 1 buddy have TMaxx's and they are both always broken. 3 other buddies have Savages (2 SS's & a 25) and they very rarely break them...we all beat on our trucks very hard, and I dont mean sand/dirt tracks....we are pulling 10-15 feet of air in the local concrete skate park which is very hard on the trucks! I don't care to get into a debate like "this truck's better cuz it's 2 microns longer" or "it's one-millionth of a mile an hour faster" cuz I dont care about lenght and I dont care about top speed (it's an MT!) - and sorry for the big explanation but after searching and searching thru the forum it seems like no one ever answers the actual question that was asked.

I am leaning towards the Savage but I want to be a little different (also I have a XS3 radio, and as far as I know the SS is the only truck that I am not throwing money away on a radio system that will never get used) Anyways, let's see what you guys can suggest.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:31 AM
midnight crusher

Default RE: SERIOUS durability comparison...

i just got my savage today

ive owned 2 traxxases before, one nitro 4-tec with a pro .15 and one nitro rustler with a 2.5 and both suspension broke on a regular basis, so much that i started buying the parts that broke in bulk because i new they would crack soon anyway. the 4-tecs gas cap flew off while i was driving it and spilled nitro everywhere and you have to buy whole tanks and remove the started to replace it. both engines i had to go back to the hobby shop and have them start them up, and both turned out to have burn out starters. my friend has a t-maxx and just gave up on it and doesnt run anymore.

i know you want a single answer but, anything but a traxxas. I thought all nitro cars were like this until i crashed my savage into a wall and when a traxxas exhaust pipe would have popped out and bumper cracked in half the savages frame got scratched a little.

the SS would work good because 1. you already have a radio 2. its got nicer parts than the rtr 3. it takes t-maxx wheels, tires, bodies that you probably already have

if you want to be really different maybe one of those thunder tigers with the 70 engine ( no radio) i heard theyre pretty tough for a car that fast but ive never driven one
Old 01-31-2004, 12:23 PM
In2JeepN

if you want to be really different maybe one of those thunder tigers with the 70 engine ( no radio) i heard theyre pretty tough for a car that fast but ive never driven one
Talk about makin all my buddies jealous! I had thought of the TT but there is really no support for them that I have found. Only one hobby store in the Toronto area carries parts for them that I have found - I have seen video of it run, but they certainly werent beating on it like I am going to. My main concern is that it would just be a CRAZY fast version of the TMaxx and would need 9382 hop up parts to be solid (and where do you get these parts? And how much are they gonna cost me???)

This thread isnt just about a truck for me though....I really do want to know what is the toughest truck out there?
Old 01-31-2004, 01:18 PM
G1GY

I have been in this hobby for over 20 years and have found the Savage 25 and the MRC Nitro Thunder King to be the most durable nitro r/c's that I have ever had.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:06 PM
ThermalRD

I've owned the mad force, old maxx, 2.5 maxx, savage, MGT, and a few 8th scale buggies. NOTHING! is as durable as a savage.

Matt
Old 01-31-2004, 07:55 PM
Eville140

I have both a T-maxx (bought first) and a couple Savages. I would compare my savages to an 1/8th scale buggy. You really have to do something stupid to mess it up. Another really nice thing about the savage is the srew/bolt size. They are much larger and more durable. Which make it much easier to work on when you need to.
I pretty much hate my t-maxx, but they don't bring crap used so it is not worth the money loss selling it.
I bought a second savage thinking I would be using it when the first one broke (from my t-maxx experence) and as it turns out it hardly ever gets used.

But it you do decide to stick with the tmaxx, get a different tank. I also got tired of the crap tank setup they use. Those four little legs and the thin plastic just doesn't hold up worth a darn.
I swapped on a Ofna tank where the old battery pack use to be, and slapped a flat pack under the truck. It has been a lot more durable. For tank stands I used a couple of the extra center wing supports from my hyper 7 buggy.

Later
Randy
Old 01-31-2004, 10:14 PM
matt067
Banned

get anything other than the cen mt2....they just plain suck in aftermarket support....and well......they just SUCK
Old 02-01-2004, 04:23 AM
Sigmun

It doesn't suck just because it doesn't have aftermarket?
It's people like you who start flame wars so pls stop bashing.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:38 AM
matt067
Banned

no i think its fun and funny to watch
Old 02-01-2004, 06:59 AM
G1GY

Your making yourself look like a tard! Now that's not fun or funny.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:14 AM
Nitroaddict

please avoid bashign others in the forums. Continued arguing in the threads will result in the possiblity of further action.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:38 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ntrospeed06

get anything other than the cen mt2....they just plain suck in aftermarket support....and well......they just SUCK

they dont suck and if u would go to new era models and CEN's website u will find a boatload of hopups [link=http://www.neweramodels.com]clik here for new era models[/link][link=http://www.cenracing.com]clik here to go to CEN's website[/link]

u can get aluminum a arms big block kit from new era and thats about all it needs its that good as it comes better than the maxx in durability top end value as u get it without tweaks handling now im not bashing im acually laying down a few facts that werent mentioned when ntrospeed06 said CEN sucked if u wanna bash people when they dont agree with ur ideas go to [link=http://www.outwar.com]outwar[/link] and bash away noone cares there long as u dont pick on me if u do u will find out
Old 02-02-2004, 01:54 PM
FIREotter

i have a MEGA FORCE
and its great,
not 1 part has broken yet an its been runnin a year.
if u get it though, make sure the engine is skrewed on TIGHT!
mine shook loose and damaged the shell,
it survived though.
the fuel tank is solid and the suspention arms (wheal joining things) just bounce off benches (and goal posts) at full speed.
ive herd of people upgrading it to a .26 which it can easly handle(metal(steel i think)drive shafts etc.) so power isnt a down point
(if u know how 2 do this i'd realy apreciate it if u messaged me)
and the suspention can absorb MASSIVE shocks.(my friend keeps dropping it)
as i found out when i "skimmed" over a freashly plowed field(big bumps)with ease!

thanks bye
Old 02-02-2004, 05:45 PM
petrolpixie

i would take a look at the mt2. this thing is one of the best cars/trucks that i have ever owned. you can fit a big block into it without a having to buy a new chassis set up like you have to do on the maxx and you also dont have to upgrade the drive line.
it already comes with a 2 speed, tuned exhaust, 4 wheel drive and has uni's on the front.
i bought a whole heaps of spare parts that i thought i would need for later eg...spare arms etc but i still havent had to use them because the original ones havent broke yet. i beat this truck something crazy too.
if you are looking for a durable truck i would definately say the cen mt2 is what you are looking for.
if you have any other questions about the truck, i will be more then happy to answer them for you.
regards, adrian
Old 02-02-2004, 05:54 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

finally someone agrees with me minus the spare parts
Old 02-02-2004, 06:27 PM
sdarviavgeer1521

ill im going to say is one word.......SAVAGE
Old 02-02-2004, 06:34 PM
DaSHiKi

I just ordered my Savage SS so i guess you know where I stand do the research and you'll see it's savage all the way
Old 02-02-2004, 10:54 PM
bubbafien
My Feedback: (1)

in reply to the first thread.

if you have 2000 invested I SERIOUSLY think you need to look at what you are buying. it has to be crap!

if you have $2000 into your maxx, and are breaking, you are buying the wrong hop ups. for that amount of money, you could have a nearly FULL or almost FULL SUPERMAXX!!! and these will take a beating like no ones business!

supermaxx-
lighter than savage
stronger than savage
dwarfs it and anything out there, in the handling dept...
easier to work on
easier to maintain
fast, fast, fast

don't say it "is too expensive" it is not. it is cheaper than most parts out there. the difference is they sell theirs in KITS!! not just the arms bulks etc.

who can beat the widetrack kit as far as price, durability, lightness, and completeness? NO ONE!!

ps it is 169.99 and includes-
arms
towers
standoffs
ti turnbuckles
rod ends
body mount material
and all hardware
etc

bubbafien
Old 02-03-2004, 12:27 AM
In2JeepN

Sorry bubbafien, I forgot to mention that that is in CDN dollars (to give a bit of perspective, my cost on the Maxx RTR was $800 tax in) Since then, I have BROKEN (so not incl the parts on it NOW...) 7 gas tanks ($25 each) 2 motor mounts ($25 each) 3 aluminum bulks ($80/pair), 2 aluminum skids ($25 each) plus many many plastic parts (control arms, tranny gears, spurs, etc.). Also on it's 3rd engine (24.7 now), and with the Dynamite conversion kit ($250) I am well over $2000. I am really tired of breaking it every time I go out.
I gotta say though, we just went out yesterday (2 Savages & 2 Maxx's) and I really beat on it for a while before breaking my rear RPM shock tower - I got off pretty lucky I think . The other Maxx broke a rear plastic bulk on it's 2nd jump. Both Savages got beat harder, for longer, and both came home running with only a couple of bent roll bars (which have already been straightened 2302482 times )

Anyways, I have got a good deal going on a Titan, and think I am going to get it tomorrow. It retails here for $800 before tax, and I am getting one that is (supposedly) only got about 15 tanks through it for $400 (tax in cuz it's a private sale). Anyone here got any experience with them? Ever seen them beat on? How do they hold up? I had a pretty good look at one in the store, and I they look like they would be pretty durable. They have a lot of bracing & some heavy duty looking parts. The control arms dont look very thick, but they are short (compared to the maxx & savage anyways) so I think they will be ok. There are 4 plastic braces also that I think will be the first thing to break, but maybe they can be upgraded?

Thanks to those who replied to the original question, rather than starting a war over which is the best truck (which I knew was gonna happen anyways!)
I still want to hear some of you speak up from experience. I want to know what truck you have seen bounce back, against all odds, after having the piss beat out of it. I have only ever seen Maxx's & Savages in real life, and I really do want to know how strong some of the other trucks out there are. If I get this Titan, I will let you all know how it is (actually, I should shoot some video too, so you guys will understand why I break my truck so bad ) Have a look @ www.slapmafro.com and it will give you an idea how hard we are on them.

Cheers!

Tom
Old 02-03-2004, 12:29 AM
G1GY

And for that kind of money you could buy 3 or 4 good 1/8 scale r/c's!

With all that is on the market these days, the people that are willing to drop that kind of cash into "ONE" r/c are few and far between.(People are getting wiser.)

Just because it has more aluminum in it than Reynolds has in their factory doesn't make better or more durable than all others.

supermaxx-
lighter than savage
stronger than savage
dwarfs it and anything out there, in the handling dept...
easier to work on
easier to maintain
fast, fast, fast
If this is a fact, could you please post some supporting material that comes from a reputable source? (No links to UE's site or Maxxtraxx please.)
Old 02-03-2004, 12:46 AM
In2JeepN

I am actually pretty ashamed of how much I have spent on this truck G1GY....it's one of those things where you break the same part a few times so you upgrade it....then you break the next weakest link a few times so you upgrade that...etc, etc. Looking back, if I had known how much I was GOING to spend, I may have just bought a kit like bubba is talking about and been done with it....or if I had been really smart I woulda got a Savage and never looked back!

PS - In the carnage report I forgot to mention that I upgraded to the Dynamite kit when I smoked the concrete wall at WOT, and broke the chassis & tore the head screws out of the factory 2.5 block (oops!)
Old 02-03-2004, 01:12 AM
G1GY

So many Maxx (or variations of) owners say the same thing, that this one truck has been a perpetual money pit. I learned this early with the Nitro Hawk years before the Maxx came out and stayed away from Traxxas. With that truck the factory con rod in the engine was a dud. Not to worry though, Traxxas had the "improved" con rod for sale at the time of the trucks realese. (Should have been given to the customer because the original was faulty, but Traxxas wanted to squeeze you for every dime they could.) That was just the begining of the list of upgrades that needed to be done to run it.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:24 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Once again The Dominator is left out of the mix?
I had a stock maxx then upgraded 21 conversion, and yes it was constantly breaking shocks, fuel tanks, spur gears stripping, etc. during the races
I could never finish a race. Off to ebay that money pit went.
I have seen Savages in the right hands do well on the track, but still the durability doesn't compare to the Dom.

Maybe you're not looking for a truggy platform, but nothing compairs I'm my mind.

Just one more idea to consider

The new GS SUT also is very beffy.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:13 PM
jshelton

I have had my tmaxx for a lil more than 2 months...and i have only stripped one spur gear...well and one time i hit this big jump i made and broke my back bumper off...but just had to screw it back in.....i have ran into alot of trees/cars/garage doors...ect. ect. and it doesnt break for me...and my maxx is pretty much all stock... i have never seen a savage or any other R/c Truck...but im pretty happy with my t-maxx
Old 02-03-2004, 06:46 PM
In2JeepN

Well, I never got that Titan I was talking about....wasnt worth what he wanted for it. scale_only_4_me-RCU is the Dominator really a solid truck? I am really not too concerned whether it's a truggy or not (the Titan is actually almost truggy) I just dont want the damn thing to break. I am thinking I should bust out my old Tamiya Frog and bolt some MT tires to it. I will look into the Dominator, I have no idea what it's worth or anything - anyone else have an opinion on this truck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.