Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Gonna buy a nitro truck....

Hey All,

I’ve been lurking for awhile, but this is my first post.

I'm planning on buying a truck pretty soon. Budget is <$600, so for the most part money isn't a huge issue. Current top contenders are the HPI Savage 25(possibly the SS), the XTM Mammoth, and the GS Racing Storm. I will be doing probably 85% bashing, but I want to be able to race at the local track every now and then and be somewhat competitive. I've read all kinds of good things about the savage as a basher, but how does it do on a track? How much would it cost to make it perform competitively on a track(engine, different suspension parts, etc..). Also since a lot of my driving will be on grass in the backyard will the mammoth/storm truggies bog down to much in 3-4 inch grass?

I’ve started to rule out the mammoth just because it "looks" a little weak structurally. It is the cheapest and fastest though, not that top speed is the most important thing in bashing or racing. Between the truggies I'm leaning towards the GS SUT right now because I haven’t found anyone that's said anything negative about it(anyone know how fast it’s supposed to go?). Overall I think the savage looks the toughest, and would make the best basher, I just don't know how it'll handle track duties. Maybe I'll just have to buy a savage and then a 1/8 buggy:-) If only that money tree I planted would come to fruition. Obviously another big thing is aftermarket/replacement parts availability. The savage has the best support from my LHS follow by the SUT(75% storm parts).

Well after all that babbling I guess I’m really down to the Savage and the SUT. Two completely different types of trucks. So I guess the questions are how much does it cost to make the savage race worthy, and how much does it cost to make the SUT durable enough for some heavy bashing? Anyone have both?

Keep in mind that my neighbor has a 2.5 T-Maxx that I need to be able to whoop up on.:-)
BTW… T-Maxx is out because too many people have them… and I keep hearing how much people have spent on them to make then decent bashers or racers.

Also posted in rcnitrotalk.com forum, so sorry if you had to read it twice.

Thanks… sorry for the long post

Joel
Old 01-22-2004, 11:27 AM
mbba2002
Banned
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Gonna buy a nitro truck....

Get the savage SS and get you choice of radio Tower has a sale. You will save $25 when spending $350 or get the RTR for $399 and I think you still can save a additional $ 25 . Try it.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:36 PM
paperclipracer
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i would wait some months for the cen gensis!!! .46 motor very fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2004, 01:23 PM
mike1288
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Savages are great for Bashing. Very Rarely do I brake parts and I beat the crap out of it. I'll jump just about anything with it. Never been into racing. Nor do I have any experiance with any other trucks to compair cornering. I like how the savage has the vertical chassis. I feel it makes for a stronger truck
Old 01-22-2004, 07:10 PM
BFT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don't rule out the Associated Monster GT. Good for baching and racing!
Old 01-22-2004, 08:43 PM
mecky33

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hum, not to start a poo slingin war here, but have you thought about a Cen Fun Factor MT2. I know its not as high priced as the other trucks you are looking at, but it will whoop up on a T-maxx. They are great racing trucks as well as a great basher. I have yet to break anything that wasn't my own fault. and that one broken part that was my fault was a spur gear that got chewed because I didn't loktite my clutch bell on. The MT2 is a very durable truck, and you don't need any upgrades to make it fast. Its good for 45+ on flat ground. The only weak link in the Cen truck is the transmitter. But you should upgrade from AM to FM anyways because there is less interference. If you have any questions about the MT2 go to www.cenracing.com or let me know. waihiwa2 can also help you

By the way, I would recommend the Cen Genesis, but I talked to Cen today and its on back order. So it could be kinda hard to get one for a little while.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:55 PM
sdarviavgeer1521

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have a savage 25 and it is awesome. it is great for bashind and it is really fast. im not sure about other MTs but i like the savage alot.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:38 PM
ncfishers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I looked a CEN, but kinda ruled them out because of parts availibility. Seems like I'd have to order everything online for that truck. As far as the genisis goes... I think it's.. it's.. well too big(there I said it[X(]). I'm also not sure how the 4ws is gonna be at speed.

Thanks for the response.

Joel
Old 01-22-2004, 10:43 PM
ncfishers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey BFT,

I haven't really looked into the MGT much... I can't find much info on it other than pretty biased postings. What is the top speed? How's the acceleration? Does it handle as well or better than and savage out of the box? Is there pretty good aftermarket part support? What are the stock weak links?

Thanks,

Joel
Old 01-22-2004, 10:47 PM
mecky33

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Joel, if parts availability is holding you back on the Cen you may want to reconsider. I have had my share of waiting for parts for my truck, but the parts that I have waited for are all from repairs I was making to the truck due to neglect from the previous owner. www.ehobbies.com is one of the best places to order parts from for Cen. They have great prices, cheap shipping, and everything arrives in three to four days. Also, unless you really unleash the punishment on the MT2, you won't need to buy many parts. I could make you a shopping list of spares, and it would be pretty short. Anyway, let me know if you do consider the MT2. It really is a great truck, and you can't beat the quality for the price.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:49 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/foru...37#post1302537 if u will read that thread u will find out that fws is easily achieved by locking the rws since the fuel tank has a mounting position that would interfere with that and it has reverse stock and a .46 car engine(the production engine is rear exhaust fyi) cant be beat i think CEN has the savages number this time the MT2 0wnz the maxx the genisis 0wnz the savage no direct competition maybe hpi should make a giant to compete with it
Old 01-22-2004, 11:56 PM
nitroguy123
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ive seen the monster gt run at my local track and it looked way better than any other mt ive ever seen. That guy beat the hell out of it and it never broke. He was also whipping around the track at a pretty good pace too. Top speed wise its 30-35. Could be a little faster but still fast none the less. But acceleration is very strong. I think the gt would be perfect for what you want to do but my opinion doesnt matter you need to go check them out for yourself. Go to your hobbyshop and see which ones you like.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:07 PM
BFT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ncfishers

Hey BFT,

I haven't really looked into the MGT much... I can't find much info on it other than pretty biased postings. What is the top speed? How's the acceleration? Does it handle as well or better than and savage out of the box? Is there pretty good aftermarket part support? What are the stock weak links?

Thanks,

Joel
If you want to learn about the MGT from owners of the truck I'd suggest you visit the http://monster****rum.com/forum/default.asp web site and read through the forums. as for me I've been into RC cars/trucks since 1988 and I must say the MGT is the finest RC I've ever owned. It is extremely durable (so far), has very good acceleration, and a 32-37 MHP top end which is plenty good enough for racing on our tracks. Compared to the T-Maxx and Savage 25 the MGT I'd say it is hands down a better MT out of the box and it is a piece of cake to work on. It is an elegant design, everything is where it should be. Aftermarket parts are starting to hit the market now and more will be following. The only negative I can find is that the local hobby shops are not carrying MGT parts yet so if/when I break something I'll have to mail order the replacement parts.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:23 PM
ncfishers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks BFT!

Anyone have any experience with the gs racing storm unlimited? Is it durable enough for heavy bashing? Is there enough ground clearance for driving in 3-4 inch grass?

Thanks,

Joel
Old 01-23-2004, 11:56 PM
mike1288

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Everything I ever break on my savage is do to testing it's limits.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:22 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

crash tests proived the mini-t can take quite a beating i was making it cartwheel 20ft and the only broken part is the antenna tube but the tube sucks anyways its the most durable pro rc ive ever had but alas its electric

my CEN MT2 is also durable it ran off(totally my fault) hit 3 trees and a chicken wire fence and broke a glo plug
Old 01-24-2004, 07:17 PM
ncfishers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well... i did it.

I bought a Savage for the below reasons.

seems more durable for bashing(i'll get a 1/8th buggy or stadium truck later if i want to race)
has good LHS support
not a tmaxx

I'm brand new to nitro, so I'm sure I'll be posting lot's of questions in the future. Thanks for your replies.

Joel
Old 01-24-2004, 07:31 PM
ThermalRD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Excellent choice man. I've got the savage, and the MGT. Bother are excellent trucks. You talked about the GS truck a little. I just recently got a hands on experience at the track with one. They are pure racing machines. My savage hangs with anything on my track, so its an excellent basher, and racer.

Matt
ORIGINAL: ncfishers

Well... i did it.

I bought a Savage for the below reasons.

seems more durable for bashing(i'll get a 1/8th buggy or stadium truck later if i want to race)
has good LHS support
not a tmaxx

I'm brand new to nitro, so I'm sure I'll be posting lot's of questions in the future. Thanks for your replies.

Joel
Old 01-24-2004, 08:51 PM
mike1288

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good Choice!
Old 01-25-2004, 01:22 AM
ncfishers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Thermalrd,

You said your savage hangs pretty well at the track.... how close is it to stock? ie did it cost you alot to get it to be track ready? Did you follow the breakin directions for the savage, or did you use some other process? The breakin directions for the savage seem shorter than other proccesses I've read. I'm just wondering if it's long enough.

Unfortunately I probably won't be able to even start my savage for the first time until next saturday. Although I suppose I can break it in at night just in my front driveway.

Thanks,

Joel
Old 01-25-2004, 04:30 PM
lilspiegs08

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

THUNDER QUAKE!