Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

New Thunder Quake... Help Needed...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

New Thunder Quake... Help Needed...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 10:55 PM
Z1K0B4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Thunder Quake... Help Needed...

Got a TQ for Christmas. I have run 2 tanks through it during break-in and have noticed the clutch bell gear is almost worn out. the only thing i can think is that something was put together wrong and the clutch bell gear and the spur gears didn't mate correctly. anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

pics...

Old 12-25-2003, 11:10 PM
raykessler

Default RE: New Thunder Quake... Help Needed...

umm.... return it and get another one
Old 12-25-2003, 11:26 PM
Z1K0B4

anyone else experienced a similar problem (on any of brand)? what was the solution? i plan to contact duratrax tomorrow and they should replace the part but i need some tips on preventing this in the future, as this is my first offroad.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:12 AM
raykessler

dont worry about it... they probably just accedentially included the wrong sized gears.. to prevent it in the future you sould always check to make sure the gears have a proper fit, not to tight not to loose.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:09 AM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

It's more likely a mis-match of the gears as set from the factory. If they do not match correctly....then you'll get what you have seen so far.

When you install the new gears....use a piece of paper between the gears to set the distance of the gears correctly. When pulling on the paper as it comes out of the gears....it should look like a set of stairs which lets you know you have the correct adjustment. Of course as you drive the rig....drive it slowly close to you and observe how it runs...and look at the gears to make sure you see them turning freely with no binding.

Good Luck!
Old 12-26-2003, 03:02 AM
The Boss

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The gear mesh is/was not set correctly, I suspect warranty will cover it. Also make sure you regrease the diffs in the kit soon if not right away with more and better quality greases. There are tricks to this kit that if you do before hand you will get very good usage out of it and a great bang for you buck.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:06 PM
dragonwen

hey I just got TQ for Xmas too, another thing to watch for is the pull start, on my fifth tank of break-in the pull core had melted away, now I am siting here typing istead of out there playing. If anyone had any idea for future fix please let me know. thanks
Old 12-26-2003, 08:44 PM
Z1K0B4

had the same thing happen to me once i re-aligned the engine and gears. i'm gonna call them Monday and see if they'll replace the $30 pull start under warranty. they are sending new gears so maybe they'll make the pull cord right too... I ripped my truck apart, took off the pull start and after 2 1/2 hours of winding, rewinding, and rewinding some more, i finally got it working again. Anyone have any suggestions as to the nitro% that should be used in the .21 engine? I'm using 20% Blue Thunder and can't seem to get the carb leaned out enough to get good power without overheating... any suggestions?
Old 12-27-2003, 08:26 AM
dragonwen

I call Duratrax, they will sent a new pull start but will take a week. I had read a few posts that 10% fuel is better for the torq .21, but on the manual, it say do not use anything over 20%. I have been using 10% during the break-in, haven't get to go full throtle yet, but I think 10% is pretty good for the TQ, may be after the TQ is fixed I will try the 20% fuel to see if there's a difference.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:28 AM
Z1K0B4

i'm thinkin i may try using a 10% to see if that helps, i can't seem to get the little monster tuned right...
Old 12-28-2003, 11:30 AM
dragonwen

I'm having a tough time to get the steering to set straight, it's either lean to the right or left just won't go straight
Old 12-28-2003, 12:40 PM
R/C Madman
My Feedback: (1)

Some of the time you have to take the servo saver off and re-center the linkage in order to get it to role straight.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:46 AM
dragonwen

I will give that a try when I get more fuel from the Fedex, thanks for the tip.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:29 PM
batphink21

has anyone found out anything about the fuel content? im ready to order some more, just wondering if i can go ahead and get the 20% since it seems to be more readily available at the LHS.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:49 PM
WSW-WYATT-EARP

i ran 20% in mine ... hard to get a good tune out of that engine no matter what % you use ... if you go to 10% you loose some power ... i know i played and played with the settings for a long time before i got it tuned around 230-240 in the summer months ... it is a durable motor .. can withstand alot of heat ... another suggestion is replacing the head with a bigger one ... it helps also ....

or replace the whole engine with the xtm 24.7 reg shaft ... direct bolt in .. more power ... runs cooler and easier to tune ... i have one in mine ...still going through break in process and it has way more power ... can't wait to lean it out and see what its got !!!

here is a pic of mine before i put the xtm in ... i also have 8 shocks now too ... i have the t-maxx wheel adapters also ...

if ya want to chat or anything hit me up on yahoo or aol ... my contact info is in my profile

i also got new pics of it at home ... i plastic dipped the roll cage and dipped my servos for waterproofing ... will upload them tonight if i get time