RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

CEN MT2 problems? Honest opinions please!

Old 01-26-2004, 09:41 PM
ThermalRD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default CEN MT2 problems? Honest opinions please!

It seems like most the posts on this forum are about problems with that truck. I want to know how the owners feel about their trucks now. I've read about the gear problems, the diff problems, the compression, pullstarters, etc. All very recently. Are you guys still happy with it? or wish you had bought something else? I only ask because i was almost thinking about getting one. Especially after seeing some really pimped out rides on wild hobbies. I cant help but comment on this though. Seems like the same people that were convinced this was a good vehicle, now have loads of problems with it. Can i get some honest opinions on this please.

Thanks, Matt
Old 01-26-2004, 09:55 PM
auto2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: CEN MT2 problems? Honest opinions please!

you get wha tyou pay for and the mt2 is the best bang for the buck out there.
It's not a 500 dollar truck and don't expect it to be. but I give it a royal thumbs up.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:57 PM
mecky33

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Matt, I know I am probably the last person you want to see post in this thread. But I feel I need to anyway. First, the radio is a sore spot with this truck, its pretty much a must to install a failsafe or replace the transmitter. Next diff cups break, I have not personally experienced this except for one that was broken when I bought it. The spur gears can strip easily if you do not watch gear mesh. I also had a problem with the clutch bell stud coming unscrewed on me. The only way to fix it was to loktite it in place. I can't really comment on the engine, when I bought mine (used) the engine was having issues. It had been overheated and I overheated it quite a few times due to air leaks from an inproper boost bottle install. Cen was and still is instrumental in helping me get my truck running and diagnosing the problems that I have had with the engine.

One last thing. I have not experienced all of these problems. And most of the people I talk to have not experienced all of these problems. It seems that some of the MT2's are prone to some issues and some are prone to other issues. Over all though, I have been very happy with my truck and have learned a great deal about my truck and nitro engines in general. With that knowledge, i feel more comfortable now and would be willing to spend a little more on my next truck. If I can ever get a next.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:50 PM
ThermalRD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the input guys. Mecky, you crack me up. I figured you would respond, and that doesnt bother me one bit. I just have to ask questions like this, especially before buying something new. 90% of the time im feeling out the territory for "user error". Its my experience that MOST of these trucks, and motors are good. Of course some are better than others, but my point is there is ALOT of user error going on. I have heard the radio is bad in the MT2, and that means nothing to me. If i bought one it would be in a pile next to the 2 or 3 traxxas radios, the savage radios, and the MGT stock radio equipment. Usually stuff i end up giving away. Im pretty obsessive about this hobby and everything i do. Any kit i buy gets the full treatment. Loctite, sealed motor, diff fluid, inspection, etc. RTR doesnt mean Ready To Run. To me it means Rebuild Then Run. Thanks for the replies though guys. Im currently looking at the MT2, the TTR truck, and that GS racing truck. It looks like im gonna buy that GS racing truck though.

Matt
Old 01-26-2004, 10:57 PM
mecky33

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well matt, I just have to say, to bad we don't live closer together. I would let you run the MT2 so you could at least get a feel for it. I also agree with you that a lot of the issues with the MT2 are user related. A big part of that is the number of people that are new to nitro and or RC that are buying them. Its good that they are buying a cheaper truck so they can afford to fix them. But at a glance it can make any truck look less durable. I am glad to see that you at least concidered the Cen. Good luck with your new truck.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:15 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have yet to break a part mine overheated once when it ran off because i stalled it was packing up and a pal said restart i forgot it was off and the htrottle servo was wot it ran off hit 3 trees thru a chicken wire fence and nose up on another tree where it sat there wot till it cooked the glo plug i have no engine problems mine starts on one pull alot and dont stall very much it stalled because i had leaned it out for power and the idle was high i was bringin it in to lower the idle and it stalled i have had no radio problems but im using a mini-t tx for it because it fits my hand better
Old 01-27-2004, 06:54 AM
Element

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ThermalRD-The only non user error I have had on my MT2 is the diff cups but I decided to up grade to cvd if a break anymore.But other than that this truck has suprised em with how much I could get with little money.

BTW-How much does the GS racing truck cost?
Old 02-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Smokinjoe6450
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The lost compression was MY fault (didn't put cooling head on tight)......otherwise GREAT truck.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:53 PM
d71889b

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i love my mt2
Old 02-05-2004, 07:36 PM
DaSHiKi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I almost boughtone but I didnt feel I was saving money by buyint a rtr that needed an almost immediate Tx replacement its a great looking truck and other websites rave about it check out rc car action they have a tricked out MT2 that has 1300 into it all aluminum and it looks sick!
Old 02-05-2004, 11:48 PM
mecky33

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dash, just to let you know, the transmitter issue is resolved.

And to all who are having transmitter issues. Call Cen and they will replace your transmitter for you. They will also repair or replace any damaged parts caused by a run away due to transmitter malfunction.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:15 AM
melloo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello guys,i'm an italian boy,i bought an MT2 2 months ago,it's a cool machine!!!
now,i have on it a 7 kg servo,a hand made wheelie bar and bigger tires with chrome wheels,carbon fiber brake disk,modified springs and evader st body!
i post a photo of my monster!!!(see my gallery)
now i'm making a steel rollbar,when ready i'll post a photo of it!never had problems with transmission,the only thing is the pullstarter that sometimes turn without starting the engine.....
Sorry for my english,and ciao ciao to all!!!
Old 02-06-2004, 09:13 AM
Smokinjoe6450
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looked at your pics melloo.......... That looks great!! The stampede body fits it good also but I like how the evader body hugs it.

Good job
Old 02-06-2004, 09:40 AM
mecky33

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

melloo, that is one sweet lookin truck. You have done well with it.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:49 PM
primopyro

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i would have to say that the radio system is the only thing that maybe you would want to replace if you had a big problem with... other wise CEN cars are cheap and i cant complain besides my last mishap with my MT2 which was my 3rd nirtro CEN car.... and you know what ... alot of stuff went wrong with the radio and i didnt even get to run it at all! but i droped it off and cen and one of the guys there spent 2 days solid working on it to fix it and replaced everything on it for free.. and also tuned it and broke it in for me (which i didnt get to do becuase the radio was dead).. you cant ask for better tech support hands down...

but when it was getting fixed i was so anxious for a monster truck i bought a savage 25 ..... hehe ... so i might sell the mt2.... its NEW hehe beside the tech guy at CEN broke it in .... cant ask for a better brake in....
Old 02-06-2004, 01:51 PM
Dale Gribble

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I really want to get a feel for this MT2 hype myself. I will get a hold of one soon, give it the full review, and then I can be objective about it. I will really stack it 1:1 with the Savage and the Maxx.

primopyro, if you consider selling, please PM me. I think I will be in the market for one soon, and I would prefer a used one.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:04 PM
mecky33

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Please do, and let us know exactly what you think. I would really like to know what people who run other trucks think of the Cen.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:40 PM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

I really want to get a feel for this MT2 hype myself. I will get a hold of one soon, give it the full review, and then I can be objective about it. I will really stack it 1:1 with the Savage and the Maxx.

primopyro, if you consider selling, please PM me. I think I will be in the market for one soon, and I would prefer a used one.

get a new one that way u reveiw one that hasnt had the possibility of bein mistreated nd get to break it in and all that
Old 02-06-2004, 03:48 PM
Dale Gribble

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i don't want a new one... I have 2 mt's already. This is just to see what y'all keep talking about. I will
probably turn and sell it in a week anyways.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:40 PM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

i don't want a new one... I have 2 mt's already. This is just to see what y'all keep talking about. I will
probably turn and sell it in a week anyways.

i wouldnt mind a second MT2 myself long as it has the NT-16 and 4wd lol
Old 02-06-2004, 06:49 PM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

besides u may get a mistreated used one that will perform under par. a new one will perform as good as me and mecky33 and any other MT2 owner claims. mine will even wheelie an inch like my front engined 46" lawn tractor. lol ur review may not be true if u buy used and its only $300 new altho i think ehobbies has it for 279.99 plus shippin. i got mine with free ship from toyhaus for $300. it needed was fuel and a glo starter to start. some CA glue and a fuel bottle rounded it off but i didnt get the bottle till one gallon down the road and used superglue on the tires. superglue is CA anyways. need to reglue them tho they be comin off after 2 gallons. lol. mine is completly stock btw.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:13 PM
mecky33

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For those of you saying he needs new, its not true. I was impressed with the performance from my truck even with a leaking head and carb. true, it didn't stay running because it was running way to lean. but it ran pretty quick for a truck that had no compression. I impressed many people who have nitro street cars and other various nitros with how fast my truck was with all its problems. And a used MT should perform just as well as a new one, unless someone abused it like the previous owner of my truck. I say best of luck to you dale, and I hope that you get a used truck that is in better shape than mine was.