Blankstare

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Video?

Does anyone know where i can find a video of a Hpi Mt2 anywhere? i want to get one but have never seen one run
Old 02-01-2004, 04:22 PM
sovietspyguy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Video?

I have no video, but I did break one in (twice) for my friend and I drove it through about half a gallon, so if you wish I can tell you my experiences about it.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Blankstare

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yea thats fine, and have u had any problems with it so far?
Old 02-02-2004, 09:46 PM
sovietspyguy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will start by saying this: The drivetrain in the MT2 is crap from my experience. We've gone through almost three final gear sets (diffs) since he got the car (less than one gallon through it). They are cast aluminum, very weak, and it's a good idea to keep some on hand. We've only had to replace one set thus far but the two in the car now are starting to go. I don't know if or how many other people have this problem. The wheels nuts don't seem to like staying on, and on four instances the wheel has come off the car (yes we tightened them down) while driving.

The engine seems good, though it's hard to tell now because it's running pretty poorly (probably his fault though). The rotostart, while nice to have, seems to be plagued with problems. I've heard of people stripping gears inside the rotostart (with bigger engines), and though this was never a problem, what did happen is that the little pins on the end of the rotostart shaft were both sheared off. One came off on the first day and the second two days later. I see no other major problems, although I will admit the car seems to lack durability. I don't have too much evidence of this (although we did break one swing arm at the pivot...after some MILD jumps. Perhaps 6 feet in length, if that, and 3 feet high. It rolled a couple of times, and then snap.).
And more of an annoyance, the stock throttle/brake linkage is absolute crap. The servo saver is horrible. Definately buy one if you end up getting this truck. The body mounting system is also pretty weak. The entire weight of the truck is supported by four very thin rings of plastic that broke after the first few flips, which lowered the body all the way, and this was a pain. It was easily fixed by using zip-ties, so no biggie (It's kind of confusing and hard to explain, but if you ever see the truck, take a look at the post which the body mounts onto, and you'll see what I mean). The slipper/spur is a pain to adjust, or switch out, so make sure that you choose one you'll like. The primer on his truck also didn't work at all (something was obviously missing from it from what I could see of it), and is very prone to air-leaks, but I hear this is a common problem.

That's all for the negative. Now for the positive:

The engine is pretty quiet.
The design/layout of the parts is logical and simple. To get to the differentials requires taking off the radio system (done by removing three body clips and two servo screws), and then removing about 8 more screws, and you're there. It's simple once you do it once, and takes about two minutes. The front diff is slightly harder to get to, but by no means complicated.

The thing is fast. And pretty stable. It won't wheelie, but it also is hard to flip, and can climb very steep slippery hills. I've had no reason to doubt the integrity of the drivetrain with the exception of the differential final gear (The spider gears and innermost workings are all hardened steel). It's very off-road capable and is pretty stable when jumping.

Probably expecting more eh? That's all I can think of though. Overall I have a pretty negative impression of this truck, but then again I'm only one person so take this review with a grain of salt. Really the main problems are durability and the damn servo savers. Are you specifically wanting a truck like this? If not I'm sure you could find something that is more durable. How much are you willing to spend? I won't be so brash as to advise you totally against this truck, just that from our experience every time we take it out something goes wrong. If you're willing to spend 470, however, the Monster GT (I own one) is a beast and refuses to break. Anyways I won't try to act the part of a salesman, but if you aren't too focused on trucks and have the money, you should take a look at it.

If you have any other questions about something specific, feel free to ask. Hope I could help a bit.