RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Noise coming from MGT under braking...normal or bad?

Old 02-01-2004, 04:17 PM
sovietspyguy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Noise coming from MGT under braking...normal or bad?

Whenever I brake hard on my MGT I sometimes hear a sort of crunching noise. It's not anything in the diffs or the transmission, as I've checked by applying full brake and trying to turn the wheels myself. Hard as I turn them, nothing. Anyways from that I don't think it's anything in the transmission or the diffs. For a while I thought it was the sound of the slipper gear, but then realized that that wouldn't make any sense.

So...I assume it's coming from the brake disk itself. My only question is whether that's true or not. When I restrict the travel by means of EPA, down to about 3/5 of what I normally use, the crunching noise is very very profound. When I set it closer to the max amount of braking, it's not really noticable much, usually I just hear the wheels skid. So...I guess that's my question: Is it normal?

Also, to all you nay-sayers, I finally got my MGT dialed in and it kicks ass. I've done tons of jumps, and had tons of crashes, and the only things I've broken are the bumpers, which are cracked a little (but still work the same). I've gone through a gallon and a half with no problems. I can pull wheelies from a standstill easily. The brakes also work incredibly well. If I set the endpoint for the brakes to 150% (out of a max of 160%) it will do a frontflip every time I brake. I usually have it set to 135, and that's more than enough.

Awesome truck...anyone who says it sucks or is a failure has obviously never seen one.

Anyways I guess that's getting off topic...so that is all.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:42 PM
jefx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Noise coming from MGT under braking...normal or bad?

It sucks! It's a failure! No, just kidding, I've never seen one run, I'm sure it's a good truck. But maybe there is some sand or grit in the brakes. Is the brake wearing unevenly? Maybe it's not aligned quite right, and something is rubbing it wierd.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:47 PM
sovietspyguy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Noise coming from MGT under braking...normal or bad?

I don't see any way it could possible be aligned wrong...there's not really any way to align it. I could try cleaning the brakes with alcohol but really, I'm just wondering if it's anything bad. I don't mind the noise I just want to be sure it isn't a bad thing. I've heard this before though and after taking the transmission and diffs apart I checked all the gears and they're perfect.