Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

noob with a savage ss

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 12:11 PM
VonJava

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob with a savage ss

hi, i'm new to this forum. i've wanted a build kit since i was a kid. now i'm 32 and married (happily), so i went and bought a savage ss a couple days ago. took several trips back to my lhs to get all the stuff i needed ie. glow plug igniter, thread lock, cement, plug wrench etc... each time being assured that i had everything i needed. so i was there last night getting them to get this thing started which it eventually did, but by the time i got home i didn't want to disturb my neighbors breaking the thing in outside in the dark. i got up today to let it idle outside, but it's 20 degrees and i couldn't get it going. does anyone have a tip for me to get it going? maybe start it inside where it's warm and put it outside after? actually, any new tips would be appreciated - thanks
Old 02-15-2004, 01:05 PM
mecky33

Default RE: noob with a savage ss

take a hair dryer or heat gun to the cooling head to get it up to about 70 degrees. It should start up after that.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:15 PM
DaSHiKi

put it near the heater then start it up near your front door. today it was about 30-35 and me and my son went down to the beach parking lot and I had the same issue it was hella hard to pull we went back into the truck and blasted the heat for a minute and it worked fine.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:34 PM
COOLGuy

ok, theres a couple things that you can do. Before you take it outside get a papertowl, fold it and wrap it around the coolent head, or if you put a glove on the coolent head that works too. Not a big glove but a thin one. It might sound stupid but it works. The hair drier works too. But i like paper towl and glove better. I live in pittsburgh, and it gets real cold up here. So i do that all the time, well in the winter. Also another good winter tip is to run it rich so you dont fry anything in the engine, my friend just did that it sux
Old 02-16-2004, 12:21 AM
Spunkymanker

Yeah, it can be hard to get them to start in cold weather, I live in southern oregon, and 5-6 months of the year it's below 35...
I've found that the hairdryer trick works great.. it's about the only way I can get my maxx started in the cold weather.. it also helps to run it extra rich, then as the engine warms up, you can lean it back out again.. If I try to start the engine cold with the same settings as I was driving it, it won't start for anything.. as much temperature difference as there is, it's hard to keep it tuned right.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:31 AM
rdmonster

Always keep it inside until just before you start it. Leave your glow plug igniter on for a while so it is extra hot. Try a hot or very hot glow plug.Run it a little richer.Always keep your fuel inside someplace warm and if you have to go ahead and start that sucker inside(you might not be happily married after that though).