Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

checking engine for leaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 01:03 PM
itrunshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default checking engine for leaks

Is it ok to hold my engine under water and pull the starter to check for air leaks?
Old 02-18-2004, 02:09 PM
ThermalRD

Default RE: checking engine for leaks

Theres no need for that. You'll only shorten the life of your bearings by putting them under water. Just seal the carb, and the backplate.

Matt
Old 02-18-2004, 02:43 PM
mecky33

itrunshot, I thought you had fixed your air leak issues? You may want to send it to Cen and have them check it out. Call them and talk to Sean, he will take care of you. And like I said when you where asking about air leaks before, seal the exhaust and the carb, then use something like canned air or very low pressure air and presurize the engine. the listen and feel for air leaks around the areas that you think may be leaking.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:24 PM
itrunshot

I made a head gasket out of thin cardboard, it seemed to help a little, but not enough. I just ordered a backplate, carb lock nut, and body mount set from toyhaus, hopefully this will get it running again. Then i can start spending money on better parts... new head, pipe, and shocks and ill be happy.

Has anyone swapped out the gas tank? Im looking for something bigger that could fit without much modification, any suggestions?
Old 02-18-2004, 04:32 PM
mecky33

I think some one put a T-maxx tank on their MT2. they had to file out the upper deck to make it fit. As far as parts, next time, you may want to order from www.ehobbies.com. They are cheaper than toyhaus. You may also want to order an actual head gasket for your truck, it will probably work better than the cardboard. And, save your money and don't buy the aftermarket head for your truck. I had one on mine and after talking to Cen, they said that that head make it more difficult to tune. So, I just stripped and polished the stock head and threw it back on, it aint the prettiest head but it works. Good luck with it and let us know how things go.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:45 PM
itrunshot

I order from toyhaus becuase they ship much faster. It usually takes 10 days for me to get stuff from ehobbies, toyhaus ships the day i order if i order early enough, if not then the day after.

edit: I just checked and it shipped today priority mail, 2 hours and 20 mins after order was placed
Old 02-19-2004, 04:50 PM
mecky33

Damn, I guess that is a bonus. I have had ehobbies take two days to ship my stuff. But, I usually order a bunch of stuff at one time and I end up saving 15 to 20 bucks.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:29 PM
itrunshot

Well that didnt seem to do it either... Im running out of ideas, it seems that everytime i have the backplate apart and then put it back together the compression seems a little higher, but only for a few pulls. Could it be something to do with the pull start assembly?
Old 02-20-2004, 03:46 PM
mecky33

Is it just free spinning on you after a few pulls? If so it could be the pull start or it could be the fly wheel isn't tight. Honestly, I would send it in to Cen. They will replace the pull start for you if its broken and anything else that comes up bad. Call and talk to Sean and he can probably get it in and back out in a few days. Just tell him I told you to call him.