Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Going to get 2nd Nitro

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 05:48 PM
nd2xlr8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to get 2nd Nitro

O.K. all I have read a hole lot of forums debating t-maxx and .25 savage. I am thinking about buying a savage, I already have a T-maxx and love it. The question is , are the savage and T-maxx the most popular trucks because they are affordable or are they actually (( some )) of the better trucks on the market. I know there are cheaper trucks on the market, but for each company's top dog they are reasonably priced. I would like to hear from people who have multiple trucks, not just people that follow one brand. I am considering the savage, don't want two maxxes. Is it, it's afford-ability or actually quality that make them so popular?
Old 02-26-2004, 06:16 PM
ThermalRD

Default RE: Going to get 2nd Nitro

Well, i've got a savage, an MGT, i had an old maxx, and i had a Mad force. My son also has a 2.5 maxx. The savage is the most durable truck there is, there is no questioning that. Of all the trucks i've owned, none take a beating like a savage without breaking. My plastic parts on my savage look soo crappy. Wanna know why? Because they dont get changed. They never break, they just keep getting scratched. If i had to choose only one truck, of all that are available today, it would be the savage!

Matt
Old 02-26-2004, 07:13 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

I totally agree. I like driving and working on different makes too. I don't plan on ever owning 2 of the same MFG, since I like the variety.

I think the Maxx and Savage are two peas in a pod. Even though their layout is totally different, the feel is similar as is the experience to me. A monster truck looks like a monster truck, handles like a monster truck and drives like a monster truck.

If you want a totally new and refreshing experience, try an 1/8 scale buggy or a Stadium Truck. I could have had all of the big name nitro trucks right now, but opted for an 1/8 scale and Stadium truck for a different experience, and boy is it.

I LOVE driving the Maxx and Savage around with friends and bashing em. My favorite to drive is the 1/8 scale just due to the sheer speed and precision handling. Then there is the Stadium truck that is 1/2 the weight of the 1/8 scale and monsters, and has a higher HP to weight ratio. They handle well, and can really fly.

Let us know what you decide!
Old 02-26-2004, 08:29 PM
nd2xlr8

I live in the middle of western Kentucky, no tracks anywhere close that I know about. The terrain I usually drive on is far from flat, mostly rough. Do you think a buggy or stadium truck would be something to bash with? I don't have any idea or any experience with them. Interested though. Let me know what you think. Will be this weekend before I decide anyway.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:36 PM
ThermalRD

Dont buy a buggy, or a stadium truck. If the conditions are what you say they are, then you need a monster truck.

Matt
ORIGINAL: nd2xlr8

I live in the middle of western Kentucky, no tracks anywhere close that I know about. The terrain I usually drive on is far from flat, mostly rough. Do you think a buggy or stadium truck would be something to bash with? I don't have any idea or any experience with them. Interested though. Let me know what you think. Will be this weekend before I decide anyway.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:37 PM
slodsm
My Feedback: (1)

I personaly have bashed a buggy on several occasions and had a blast. Great racer but can function as a toy if wanted. When I raced Losi trucks though, I tried just taking them out to play on a couple of occasions and it was not the same. What the buggy gives up in ride height, it makes back in sick amounts of power. The Stadium trucks though were just never as fun. They are very very fast on a track and very agile but in general off road, climbing crap and whatnot, they just didn't have the ground clearance or the power so they were pretty much track only vehicles. If I were wanting another MT, I would just have to figure out what my LHS had the most readily available parts for though becuase they are all fairly equal, what one gives up to another, it also takes back in another aspect. I personally only have Maxx's since they were always my favorite due to weight and handling characteristics since I primarily only race. If I wanted to bash though, I think I might go with a Savage and gear it way down and climb everything with it.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:58 PM
nd2xlr8

Thanks. The vidio clips of the buggys I just watched looked pretty sick, but I still not sure they will do what I want. My hobbie shop has some basic's for my maxx and hpi, but if I want any kind of hop-up's I have to go to the internet. He mostly deals in airplanes, since there are no tracks around here. :-(
Old 02-26-2004, 09:25 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Buggies are outstanding bashers. They are usually super durable. They will handle relatively rough terrain too. Maybe ST's are track and packed surface performers, but I take the buggy pretty much everywhere I take the trucks with no problems. There are only few exceptions, and I shouldn't even by driving the monster trucks over the stuff the buggy can't go in the first place.

I am sure you have some variety in off road conditions nd2xlr... If you have some flat stuff with some hills and jumps, the buggy will be so much fun. If you have all fire access roads around you with no real fields or flat areas, maybe you should get another truck. More of the same if you ask me. Maybe you should get a plane and take to the skies!!!

I guess I like the variety personally. I would get bored if MT's were all I drove.

I am fortunate in that I have about 6 hobby shops in a 20 mile radius from here. Lessee, 3 hobby peoples, 1 Hobby Central, 1 Hobbytown, 1 Discount Hobbies. Online may be the way to go to experience new things, unfortunately.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:08 AM
jrtoons

I have a 2.5 Maxx and a Savage 25. I think they feel and perform very different from each other. The Maxx is very quick and light while the Savage is powerful and extremely durable.

I also mostly drive in construction sites and not on tracks. Both trucks perform well.

My friend I bash with has a Dirt Demon. He has had many problems with it and the durability is not up to the same caliber as the Savage or the Maxx. He is on his second motor since last summer and has cracked a few suspension arms. Well, driving skill has a lot to do with durability.

I have done just the basic upgrades like aluminum shocks, skid plates and steering servo.

I also have a set of clutchbell and spur gears that I change out to meet the conditions I plan on bashing under and what tires I'm using.

The nice thing is that the tires interchange and bodies are plentiful.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49250.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	105528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr52925.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	105529   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27859.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	105530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51421.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	105531  
Old 02-27-2004, 06:48 PM
nd2xlr8

Thanks guys, for your input. I have decided to go ahead and get the savage. The reason I even want a second truck is my wife has a brother that is much younger than her, by 15 yrs. I take him out and let him drive my T-maxx, he absolutely loves it. I thought if I had another truck we could have more fun. His birthday is in June so we are going to make sure he has his own, maybe a rustler or some thing similar. Until then we can just tear up mine. The next truck though will more than likely be a buggy, I for sure don't need 3 MT's. LOL!!!
Old 02-27-2004, 08:18 PM
vizaracer

ive got a savage 25 and my friend has a OFNA MBX PRO. i know a few places he cant go that i can. i go in a creek bed that he cant get to and he doesnt have reverse which doesnt help him for getting out of there and to manuver in it. i also can drive over his buggy which he cant get over my monster truck. i also have 2 r/c vehicles, ive got the savage 25 and then ive got my NTC3.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:57 PM
sdarviavgeer1521

good choice. the savage is awesome right out of the box. t-maxx is pretty cool after you spend a lot of money to put hop-ups on it.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:39 AM
vizaracer

the only problem is when you add hop ups to the t-maxx (aluminum ones) its going to weigh the truck down more and make it slower.