Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Best Fail safe...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 02:04 PM
jettman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Fail safe...

OK I've had my second instance of run-away truck. I'm thinking a failsafe would be a very good idea. What failsefe is the best? I know of the Venom and OFNA failsafes. Out of those two which one is better and are there others?

Thanks,
Jettman
Old 03-02-2004, 02:21 PM
MattLarson29

Default RE: Best Fail safe...

The OFNA one is tiny and works quite well. I have no experience with the Venom.

Matt
Old 03-02-2004, 02:34 PM
ThermalRD

A failsafe only helps when you turn your radio OFF, or when your RX batteries are low. Also when the TX batteries are too low. They DO NOT return to full brake position with interference from another identical radio frequency. After reading some claims from a website i decided to test their claims. I believe it was venom, that claims their failsafe goes to safe mode when it gets interference. So i figured since i had a synth RX, i would test this. First i tested my Ofna micro failsafe on the MGT. I checked my buddies MX3 radio, and set my XS3 radio to the same frequency. I turned on the MGT, and my radio, and all equipment was good. Turned on my buddies MX3 radio, and the servo went nuts. It seemed like it was trying to hold a full brake, but just kept bouncing back and forth like crazy. I then tested my buddies savage the same way, he has the Venom micro failsafe. It did the exact same thing, went nuts! Then i tested my savage, which has the original (larger) failsafe from Venom. It went nuts as well. So keep in mind, NOTHING can prevent every run away. Use a throttle return spring when possible, and a fail safe. But dont be fooled when someone tells you that failsafe will prevent a nasty runaway.

Matt
Old 03-02-2004, 02:50 PM
jettman

I'm primarily looking for a loss of signal and low battery failsafe. So, it sounds like OFNA failsafe would do the trick. I'll wait and see if get any other replies.

Thanks fellas,
Jettman
Old 03-02-2004, 03:30 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I don't have either of those, but I do have a Dynamite fail safe. A couple of days ago, I was bashin' near an industrial park and my servos kept glitching and my failsafe kept locking up. I switched crystals and everything was OK. So it probably saved me from a runaway.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:06 PM
vizaracer

i have the OFNA failsafe also for my truck. it works pretty good so far, i havent had a run away yet though, but i have tested it by turning off the radio.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:20 PM
Sypro

towerhobbies has a failsafe for liek 20-30 bucks