Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

differnt tire sizes on my 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 07:51 PM
Lil Cooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differnt tire sizes on my 4x4

My CEN MT2 looks good as it is but i put my brothers OFNA wheels and tires on mine up front and it looks really mean. I was ondering if i could do that even though his tires are a little smaller. Or would it mess my front diff up.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2004, 07:57 PM
crazypyro013

Default RE: differnt tire sizes on my 4x4

not sure if this helps but

http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/supershop_1.asp

it uses standard 2.2 wheels
Old 03-03-2004, 08:12 PM
mecky33

As long as the hex nut that Cen uses to link the wheels to the drive shaft fit in the other wheels you can use them. Smaller tires will make the truck go faster. It will not mess up your diff. I run the ATX tires from Cen on my truck all the time. If you run small tires on the front and big tires on the rear, you will get a pulling effect from the front end because the front tires are moving faster than the rear tires. But that shouldn't hurt anything.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Troublesome2g4

Look at what he said in the original post...he put only 2 tires on...up front....now if its 4wd, your front tires are going to have more torque than the rear, and most likely loosing traction in a powered turn. In a sense you are changing the gear ratio for the front diff.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:16 PM
mecky33

Troublesome read my post again, it covers putting different sized tires on the front.

They will spin a little faster and create a pull so the back tires will drag a little. This is usually the arrangement of full sized 4x4 trucks. They gearing throught the transfer case and the front differential will cause the rear tires to be dragged when in normal traction situations. It shouldn't hurt anything to run in that configuration, but I wouldn't recommend running that way on pavement all the time. You may run in to problems with the engine stalling out when the fuel tank gets low. The fuel tank pick up in on the rear side of the tank.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:33 PM
WSW-WYATT-EARP

i have to disagree with you mecky .... if you take off all 4 wheels and rotate the clutch bell so the axles rotate 1 full turn .. all four of the same sized tires would of went equal distance ... now if you put bigger tires in the rear and smaller tires in the front and after 1 complete rotation the back tires would of travled farther than the fronts because of the bigger diameter and thus giving you a push in the back .... pushing your front through a corner .... this will not give you a pulling effect ....
Old 03-04-2004, 01:36 PM
WSW-WYATT-EARP

also smaller tires will make the truck slower because the tires are actually going slower than big tires will ... the bigger something is the faster the outside has to go to keep up with the middle .....
Old 03-04-2004, 02:32 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally think (reguarding 4wd) that having different sized tires on the front than the back IS bad for your drivetrane. It causes much unneeded stress on everything. 2 different sized tires will put the drivetrain in a constant state of binding, and if you run on paved or high traction surfaces, you will not only have less control, but you will be wearing out or breaking your driveshafts/cups, differentials, etc.