Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Truggy Gearing

Old 03-06-2004, 12:18 PM
muad dib

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truggy Gearing

I am using the The JT HRC kit, have UE 7.5 F/R diffs, .21 RG, 40 series tires, 13T clutch bell, and OFNA spider center diff. Is the standard spur gear too small (46T, I believe). Which spur gear do you reccomend that will bolt on to the center diff case that I have or will going to an 11T bell resolve any low end torque issues. Anyone???

domo arigato gozaima****a
Old 03-06-2004, 02:20 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Truggy Gearing

domo arigato gozaima****a ?

Don't you mean "domo arigato Mr. Roboto"?
Old 03-06-2004, 04:41 PM
motionmachine

I have several different makes of truggies, been building truggies for 4+ years.
Your spur is way to small, you'll need at least 4.5/1 ratio at the tranny, at least thats as low as I'd go to still retain some form of bottom end.
Im running a 65 tooth spur (MP spur) and typically an 11 or 12 tooth
clutch, with explosive bottom end and tops out at 40+mph in like only 2 seconds, perfect for a tech track (exiting corners) and definitely has enough punch and excitement for bashing. For larger tracks or larger play grounds, add a tooth or two to the clutch bell but I wouldn't go any larger than a 15 tooth.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:24 PM
muad dib

Thanks for the info, do you know of a 65T spur that will bolt on to the OFNA spider center diff housing I have, Do you prefer/suggest using the MP spur gear instead of the spider?

Thanks
Old 03-06-2004, 07:31 PM
motionmachine

First, I'd lose the center diff and get a solid center spool. A center diff will constantly unload with MT tires unless your using concrete for lube. A torsen (center) is NOT recommended either, it will only get thrash.
I've managed to put the MP spur on nearly all my truggies, but its usually not easy due to clearance issues. See if you have 1/4" or more space all the way around your current spur, if not, you'll need to modify whatever to make it work, most buggies (originally) will need new tranny plate and spacers to lift the tranny assembly up accordingly at a minimum. Making truggies from scratch is mainly alot of planning, trial and error and is not something I'd suggest a newb to tackle unless they have good mech skills, access to some tools like metal band saw and drill press, and dont mind the challenge. A jig saw, drill motor, and dremel tool works but requires alot more work so it doesn't look like a hack job.
I think the MP spur could be installed on your spider diff for initial moc up
and testing.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:45 PM
muad dib

I am sure that MP center spool gear will fit, I actually had one with a dominator chassis that I was going to use but ended up selling it. I'll see how it performs for now and will go get another MP/Domintaor. This is the one I had, is it similar to what you have experience with. Thanks for the advice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60740.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	108491  
Old 03-06-2004, 09:48 PM
motionmachine

thats the easiest way, I usually work with the stock tranny mounts and location.