Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Opinions of the FR18

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 02:03 PM
jman8485

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions of the FR18

I have a T-MAXX and am curious of what people have to say about the Fantom FR18 engine available for it, so if you can please let me know I would appreciate it, Thanks
Old 03-21-2004, 07:10 PM
Goku
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Opinions of the FR18

I've been curious about this too. How does it compare to the 2.5?

I hear it is easier to tune.... is this accurate?

How about power & speed? Any difference between the fantom & 2.5?
Old 03-21-2004, 11:05 PM
bubbafien
My Feedback: (1)

http://www.xpphotoalbum.com/showgallery.php?ppuser=4906

^^^^ here is a link to my photo album. it shows a few pics of left transfer/schnuerle port (polished) and a pic of my intake port (unpolished at the time picture was taken). the bottom of the sleeve was beveled beneath the intake/transfer ports, but not the exhaust. the exhaust port has been modified slightly. the exhaust port of the case has also been "massaged a 'wee bit"... along w/ a polished crank, and smoothed out the exhaust manifold.

...why did i do these mods? it sucked out of the box!!!!!
why?
bad quality control?
crappy engine all togethor?
who knows?

i originally thought it must be bad quality control, and i just got a "bad one". i have heard good things about the fantom, but mine was much worse than my 2.5. my 2.5 ripped... but i changed a few things on the set up while doing the engine swap.
aluminum clutch shoes, i think, are the culprit. this along with a bad quality control. after doing one mod at time and noting the performance gains, it still seemed weaker than the 2.5? strange...

the tune is easier, and is very reliable. although mine was weaker than 2.5, we'll see what happens. i have a new clutch on the way, and have yet to run since the polishing, crankcase porting, and beveling. these mods, i believe, will make a HUGE difference. i am expecting it to be a monster.

so my vote is thumbs down in stock form

sorry if i rambled on. i hope it makes sense to you

bubbafien
Old 03-23-2004, 02:09 PM
kimberklr

yea i dont know what you got but i completely disassembled my fr18 before install and it was clearly built better than my 2.5 was.
its true there's not really any elaberate port work but i plan to remedy that on first rebuild.that just means i'll probably get alittle more power after some work.
from what i've heard from peps with it its pretty much superior to the 2.5 in every way.
i haven't had a chance to break it in yet because of weather but looks like its going to be nice this weekend.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:38 PM
bubbafien
My Feedback: (1)

their is no way that the fantom is superior in any way to the 2.5. IMHO.... the 2.5 is much better an engine IMO. i really dont see how in stock form a fantom with that small of a carb could produce much power, especially w/ those stock ports

oh well

bubbafien
Old 03-27-2004, 02:09 AM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry to hear about your Fantom, but every other post I've read (besides yours) raves about how great this engine is and how much better it is than the TRX 2.5.
Maybe you just got a bad one, I know my TRX 2.5 was a bad one from the factory, it was a total piece of garbage. But I realize that not all TRX 2.5's are that way, I've ran and tuned a couple pretty awesome ones.
Maybe your Fantom wasn't that good, but it doesn't mean that they are all bad.
You have a chance of getting a dud with any engine you buy, but I know that any engine is better than my 2.5 was.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:08 PM
studysession

I have a FR18 - It rains a lot here so not ran it in yet. I think at the time it was best deal for the money, but if I were to buy an engine now I would get the Pico 21 which is a direct drop in for the TMaxx and works with the EZ start.