K&N Air Filters

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Air Filters

I have a question and yes I have used the search button to see if it has been asked before and it has not or at least I could not find it I could be mistaken here.Before I ask it let me say I don't need any one to say how stupid I was or what junk it is just because they don't like it.I would like to know if any one else has used or know any one that has used a K&N filter on their trucks?I have purchased one and it seems that it works very well but when talked about on another forum that is suppose to be for the Monster GT I was told how stupid I was for having it on my truck.They never offered any creative suggestions but only put downs of either the product or me for having it.Does any one know if they work as well as the ones for regular cars do,I have one on my Power Stroke Diesel that I drive and it works great and has never caused me any trouble at all.Any help would be great and thank you for the help,if you just want to slam the product just keep it to yourself,I need constructive help not put downs thanks.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:49 AM
mecky33

Default RE: K&N Air Filters

I have seen them used, and they seem to work as well as any other filter. All they are is a K&N Crank Case vent filter with the appropriate attaching hardware for an RC.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:00 AM
Moe3754
Banned

Mecky thank you for your input I was told that all the filters do is put extra oil in the carb but I cannot see where that would be a bad thing because wouldn't that help with lube in the engine I do not saturate the filter so there is not allot of extra oil on it.I do not know much about engines I am not a mechanic but I try to learn and that is why I am asking for the help.I already own the filter and so I will use it so I guess what I am asking is how can I use it without destroying any thing in the engine?Again thanks.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:34 AM
popuptoaster

i would just like to point out that if you are talking about the forum on which i replied to your question, i dont recall seeing any mention of you being "stupid"

What may be considered "stupid" is assuming that everyone else only uses one forum.

[link=http://monster****rum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=856]the topic i believe you are refering too.[/link]

If i am mistaken, i apologise in advance.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:41 PM
GotSavage?

Although I have a few people say they have had good luck with these filters they are not designed for an RC engine just like mecky33 has stated. I would say that if you feel comfortable using it in a manner in which it was not designed for I would say go for it. If you are looking for something different I would say get a MotorSaver filter. It will let your engine breathe and still protect your engine from dirt better than the K&N.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:54 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The K&N filter is the highest flow filter there is. I use one in my pickup as well as my quads and they have worked great. The reason most people don't recomend them for R/C applications is because the guaze element is much thinner than a foam element and theoretically won't filter out as much dirt as a foam filter. R/C engines are obviously much smaller than a V8 and are more easily damaged by fine dirt particles. Alot of people use them and like them.
On my quads, I have waterproof pre-filters on my K&N's because I run them without airboxes and I'm often in dusty or wet conditions. I don't know of anyone who makes those type of pre-filters for a filter that small, but I would just suggest not to run in dusty conditions, or at least to get a foam pre-filter to put on it such as the Motorsaver pre-filter.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:57 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GVFD29 (Lysle) uses one on his P2 powered Tmaxx, and has good things to say about it. You could PM him and ask him how he likes it.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:12 PM
Moe3754
Banned

Thank You for your input also the forum where my intelligence was questioned was not that one as you said there are many forums and that was not the one.Jefx thank you also I use the K&N on my truck that I drive also and K&N told me that on that filter the dirtier it gets the better it works that is why they say only clean it twice a year unless you drive in some dirty conditions,I will call K&N and get the low down from them and then pass on what I find out from them.Again Thank You for the help.Also the motor saver filter I looked at but no one here in my town carries one for the MGT,Hobby Town USA said that they do not make one for the MGT,if any one knows if they do please let me know.