RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

locking your differental

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 02:16 PM
E-snake
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default locking your differental

What is the advantage of locking your differential? I don't race, but bash. Is it a hard thing to do to a t-maxx?
Old 03-31-2004, 02:18 PM
Bush Wacker

Default RE: locking your differental

I locked the dif on my ST its worked good so far, the handling is alittle off though.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:22 PM
GotSavage?

They only advantage I could see would be hooking up from a dead stop when you are going in a straight line on pavement or hooking up in general on a loose surface. IF you lock you diff and drive on pavement or other high grip surfaces you will damage you drivetrain.

Alot of people use a heavier weight diff oil to limit the slipping for better hook up on a track but totally locking it is a bad idea and is not necessary for bashing.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:30 PM
Bush Wacker

Not a neccesity for bashing? What are you talking about you can get around alot better. Its like saying a locker isnt good for mud bogging. Of coures it will put alot more stress on your drive train.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:11 PM
mecky33

I used diff lock grease in the spider gears on my Cen MT2 and it has caused quite a few problems for me. It stressed the diff cups more than normal. It stressed the axles and dog bones more than normal. and it stressed the diff more than normal. This all resulted in three destoyed dogbones, two destroyed CVDs, three destroyed axles, and more diff cups than I care to mention. And that is just from grease in the diff. Plus it doesn't handle as well, it hops around on pavement during take off, and what little I gained in traction is not worth the cost in parts. I would only lock your diff if you are willing to replace more parts more often than you would otherwise.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:51 PM
mrjason82

I locked the diff in my Sportmaxx once and I only got to drive it around for about 20 minutes before it blew the diff cup apart and stripped out the screws in the stock plastic one. Maybe after I get myself an aluminum diff cup I'll give it another try.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:06 PM
Bush Wacker

Oh well my ST handles the locked diff fine.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:12 AM
allen0622

If you lock your diff. keep it off road, the asphalt is what's ripping everything apart too much traction and no "give". Before I locked mine it was tough keeping it straight on the track. 1 side would always seem to be doing most of the work and I'd have to steer to compensate. I also didn't completely lock it. I use 100,000 weight which gives it a very limited slip, but it will slip if stressed, the stock stuff is just lubrication and completely free. And I agree, why do you need to lock the diff for bashing? Unless you're rock crawling or something. I suppose it depends on how you bash.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:53 AM
melloo

hi guys,i have a question,wich weight has the grasse of the stock differential for the Mad Force?

thanks a lot!!!
Old 04-01-2004, 10:38 AM
popuptoaster

Im a basher and im gonna try 30000 weight in the rear diff of my MTA-4, I was out yesterday and i found a rather large boggy area

that i got the truck stuck in, took quite a while of reverse/forwards action to get it out, it was clearly spinning only one rear wheel a lot of the time, should help out a bit I think.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:09 PM
ThermalRD

Im not really sure what you are trying to ask here. However, my best interpretation is that you want to know what weight the "grease" is, in the stock differential of a Mad force. Well, if a diff is grease "packed", then its pretty close to the equivalent of a 10,00 weight diff oil. So try a 7-10k in the rear of that mad force.

Matt
ORIGINAL: melloo

hi guys,i have a question,wich weight has the grasse of the stock differential for the Mad Force?

thanks a lot!!!