RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Tower Hobbies

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 11:45 AM
E-snake
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Hobbies

Why does tower hobbies discontinue everything? Maybe other sites do too, but I thought the savage 21 was real popular, and it is discontinued. Why does everybody discontinue trucks so ofton?
Old 04-02-2004, 01:02 PM
GotSavage?

Default RE: Tower Hobbies

It got replaced by the Savage 25 and the SS. Same truck with a few updates and a bigger / better engine.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:49 PM
Smokinjoe6450
My Feedback: (6)

towerhobbies don't discontinue anything.....the companies do. The Savage 21 has been "updated" 2 times already in kit and rtr form
Old 04-02-2004, 03:00 PM
Intostadiums
My Feedback: (1)

i think tower owns duratracks. i know they own great planes. can anyone confirm this with me?
Old 04-02-2004, 03:02 PM
RCFreakInFL
Banned

ORIGINAL: Intostadiums

i think tower owns duratracks. i know they own great planes. can anyone confirm this with me?
Does it matter? FYI, Tower and GP are "parent" companies, one does not OWN the other. They are both out of Champaign, IL. DuraTrax distribution is out of the same city, but I'm not sure if they are conglomerates. It might just be where the warehouse is located.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:40 PM
yokle

According to my local hobby shop great planes/tower hobbies owns duratrax, futaba, OS engines and hobbico,among others. I think if you a little investigating you will find it makes sense too.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:55 AM
slodsm

Each company is their own entity, Great Planes is just the primary distributer of Futaba, Duratrax, and OS. Like Horizon is the promary distributer of Losi and GS. GS is actually owned overseas but Horizon Hobbies has the US distribution rights meaning stormer and all your LHS's make their orders for GS products through Horizon, not GS. Same with Tower and the other companies, they just distribute for the company to the LHS, they do not own them.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:13 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Actually the all Great planes, Hobbico, and Tower Hobbies are under the parent company Hobbico Inc.
Great Planes is the Distributor
Tower is Just the Online and Mail order retailer

All Owned, if you want to use that term, by Hobbico Inc.
Not to be confused with Hobbico products, a manufacturer

Copied from thre site
http://www.hobbico.com/career.html

HOBBICO is the largest retail and wholesale distributor of radio-control hobby products in the world and one of the most progressive companies in the Champaign/Urbana area.

Hobbico consists of 4 basic divisions: Tower Hobbies, Great Planes Model Distributors, Hobbico Product, and Hobbico Administration. Each division has a different focus and excellent job opportunities exist in each one. Hobbico employs more than 600 people in these different divisions. bla bla bla

Now "Great Planes Model Distributors ",Not to be confused with "Great Plane Model Manufacturing" has exclusive rights to certin products, see below
http://www.gpmd.com/product.html

Great Planes exclusive products exist because of quality, profit margin and consumer demand. Our Radio Control (R/C) exclusive products are industry-recognized quality brands such as Futaba, Top Flite, Kyosho, O.S. Engines, DuraTrax, Hobbico, Great Planes Model Manufacturing, SuperTigre, Mac Minarelli, Globee, U.S. Aircore, Heli-Max, Andy's Bodies, Coverite, DuraPlane, Dynaflite, U.S. Engines, OPS and Balsacraft. Just look at all the benefits you receive with every R/C exclusive product purchase

It's very easy to get mixed up by all the Who "Owns" what, bottom line, the Big Bosses work for Hobbico Inc.