Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Current Savage owner - Mammoth?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Current Savage owner - Mammoth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 09:37 PM
sjcollier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Current Savage owner - Mammoth?

I am a current HP Savage 21 owner. I have been thinking of buying a new HPI Savage 25 (bigger engine/electric starter) are the real selling points for me.

However, just saw many great posts on the Mammoth in this forum. For the cost of the Savage 25 I could get the Mammoth and the rotostart.

Anyone on here upgraded from a Savage to a Mammoth. I would love to hear your opinions.

Jason
Old 04-10-2004, 09:53 PM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

Default RE: Current Savage owner - Mammoth?

It depends if you are a basher get a savage if you want to kick some major ***** on the track then a mammoth is the one for you. My Pal got a Savage 25 and i got the Mammoth at about the same time so i know the savage is more durable for bashing but when something did break on the Sav it took him 2 times longer to fix it, The Mammoth on the other hand is very easy to work on and fast to fix so IMO if you want a hella fast truck that is tough! get some supports for the shock towers and/or a roll cage and you are set With the Mammoth!....hope this helps
Oh and the rotostart is kinda nice to have but not needed on the Mammoth the 247 engine is way more reliable then the .25 or .21!!
Old 04-10-2004, 10:21 PM
Intostadiums
My Feedback: (1)

worst thing about a mammoth, or any xtm is that it is a global hobbies product, and they are like sams club for hobby stores. the stores have to pay like 500 bucks twice a year to sell their stuff, and most places can't afford it, so they dont deal the stuff. on my x factor, i always have a week of down time when something breaks. on the savage, about a day, by the time i go to the lhs. on the t maxx, its just a matter of walking around the park long enough to find the part you need in the grass, because there are a million maxxes out there and odds are someone has left an extra part around somewhere (kinda like the chevy 350). that and you can buy t maxx parts at mc donalds.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:41 PM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

he has a good point but if your LHS has xtm parts go for it I live in Winnipeg and b4 i spent the cash i wanted to know how many parts they had kicking around for it, and THEY had LOADS So if they have to pay 500 every 6 months wouldnt it make sence to realy sell there parts! IN A BIG WAY! IMO if your LHS has XTM parts GO for it!
Old 04-11-2004, 12:49 AM
Cal-Torque

ORIGINAL: MAMMOTH TOUGH

It depends if you are a basher get a savage if you want to kick some major ***** on the track then a mammoth is the one for you. My Pal got a Savage 25 and i got the Mammoth at about the same time so i know the savage is more durable for bashing but when something did break on the Sav it took him 2 times longer to fix it, The Mammoth on the other hand is very easy to work on and fast to fix so IMO if you want a hella fast truck that is tough! get some supports for the shock towers and/or a roll cage and you are set With the Mammoth!....hope this helps
Oh and the rotostart is kinda nice to have but not needed on the Mammoth the 247 engine is way more reliable then the .25 or .21!!
Totally agree. I have a Hyper 8 Port Savage, and a Mammoth. In RTR form, I would go with the Mammoth. The servos are excellent for an RTR kit, and the latest ones come with the Agressor radio, and not that nasty-looking Lynx. The only drawback with the Mammoth is that you will need the braces or roll cage as MAMMOTH TOUGH indicates, otherwise you WILL bend the shock towers. It's a really fun truck...big air because it's fast and light, and other than the shock towers, very durable. Make sure to get a failsafe and receiver pack.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:52 AM
Mxracer45

The mammoth is heavier than savage................
Old 04-11-2004, 01:49 AM
Cal-Torque

ORIGINAL: Mxracer45

The mammoth is heavier than savage................
Did I say otherwise?
Regardless, if you consider the size to weight ratio, the Mammoth is light for it's size.
It's substantially longer than a Sav, and about the same width (I just looked...not referring to specs).
With piggybacks, heavier GPM TVPs, a tank guard, and centre skid, my Sav makes up the 1/2 lb difference.
Both are great trucks. I'm just having more fun with my Mammoth currently.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:29 AM
Smokinjoe6450
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Cal-Torque, does your Mammoth handle well on a tight track or do you need to keep the rpms up? I heard they were a little sluggish off the line. BTW, my Mammoth should be here in 5-8 business days!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2004, 10:25 AM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

I find mine is very good off the line i think the ppl who assume they are slugish have never even seen one go all they know is that with a top speed of 52mph the bottom end has got to suck....WRONG the 247 has more power and more TOURQE there for it can be geared higher
.....i know you didnt ask me but i figured it would be worth a shot
Old 04-11-2004, 10:26 AM
crazypyro013

instead of buying an all new Savage, how about you take advantage of there engine exchange program, send in your .21 for the .25 and pay a discounted price, pick up the roto start if needed

with a few minor upgrades the savage .21 and .25 are almost the same, it would be cheaper to upgrade your 21 to 25 specs, then buy new
Old 04-11-2004, 03:02 PM
Smokinjoe6450
My Feedback: (6)

.....i know you didnt ask me but i figured it would be worth a shot
I listen to everybody as long as they are not bashing....
Old 04-12-2004, 10:18 PM
Cal-Torque

ORIGINAL: Smokinjoe6450

Hey Cal-Torque, does your Mammoth handle well on a tight track or do you need to keep the rpms up? I heard they were a little sluggish off the line. BTW, my Mammoth should be here in 5-8 business days!!!!!!
I'm just a basher, not a racer. But, I don't find it sluggish. The turning radius is pretty tight, and the steering servo isn't that slow (as some people have suggested).
I actually put a spare Ofna .25 in it over the weekend, and it performs just as well as the XTM 24.7...maybe a bit more top end. A neighbor with a lead sled Savage (way too much al on it) was out too, and the Mammoth made it look like it was standing still (understandably)...
Old 04-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Mxracer45

HMmmm ofna .25 has less horse power. But i guess it has more rpms i guess. I wouldnt think the mammoth steering is sluggish., It has a 175oz steering servo
Old 04-13-2004, 09:49 PM
paperclipracer
My Feedback: (3)

hobbypeople.net has the mammoth for 389 thats 52 mph savage 409 40 mph and the t-max 389 around 40 mph
i think its time to get a mammoth
Old 04-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Cal-Torque

ORIGINAL: Mxracer45

HMmmm ofna .25 has less horse power. But i guess it has more rpms i guess. I wouldnt think the mammoth steering is sluggish., It has a 175oz steering servo
As you know, specs aren't everything... There are a ton of variables, and motors will be different due to production issues. Regarding the servo, slow refers to speed, not torque. Speed on the XTM X-175 is 0.22 per 60 deg (I assume at 6V), which is not very quick. As comparison, a Hitec 5945 is rated at .13 with 181oz of torque; of course, it's a more expensive servo. Regardless, I'm happy with the stock XTM...works good so far, and it's quick enough.
On the engine, posted specs are questionable at best anyways... On paper, the difference in hp between the Ofna .25 and XTM 24.7 is just over .1 with max rpms at 10000 difference... That doesn't seem likely. That would mean that the Mammoth should be 35% faster at WOT with the Ofna .25.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Mxracer45

Good points cal and paperclip the mammoth is only 369.99$ on sale at hobbypeople
Old 04-15-2004, 06:49 PM
RayRayraycer20

Just got back from my lhs. they had a mammoth on display. that truck looks awesome,the owner has one and swears by it .I definately have found my next truck.....OH YEAAAAAA!![8D]
Old 04-15-2004, 09:11 PM
mrjon53
My Feedback: (3)

just bought a mamoth today and finished the break in. i think it rocks, and am glad i didn't go with the savage or tmaxx. awsome awsome truck.